FPVLR Stage 4 troubles.

Best place I found was to setup on a hill with long LOS. On the bank of a river valley works awesome and 8000' + is easily and consistently attainable with stage 2.

Reactions: Scoot-Scoot
I've only really tried 1 long distance run was @ 320x240 30fps, I managed 9168 ft which I think is pretty weak for stage 4 but I think it could go further on the right day,,,I'm gonna try beat it as soon as the weather permits,
a9a77e0a0a717ac486e9c767630bd5b8.jpg

e6608c8062fed1ebd44a747d61815520.jpg

That was the hill I was on [emoji6]

Last edited:
What elevation? I see 99' on your display. Be hard to make it any distance with any setup unless you pick up some elevation.

What elevation? I see 99' on your display. Be hard to make it any distance with any setup unless you pick up some elevation.
Yep I was 99 ft from where I took off which was a 400 meter hill peak so my total height from sea level would be around 1410 ft , but I did think about climbing a little higher at the time but I knew I was already pretty high up , u think I should try a little higher next time? [emoji574]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rrmccabe
I'm happy to say today was a good flight using Tony's antennas, no amplifiers connected. And flew 3400 feet on one battery charge and 3550 feet on the 2nd battery pack. That was at 375 feet high. My next question is when my battery connector comes in from Tony, Do I need to have the 2.4GHz amplifier ran to certain antennas on my controller. And the 5.8GHz amplifier ran to another? Before when I received the kit and no instructions I ran the amps without knowing where they should go. And thought that might possibly help.
Can I ask ? If you had no instructions and not knowing which antenna leads go where, then why not google it OR contact FPVLR first before attempting to assemble the unit? I can understand your point to a degree, but it seems like an obvious solution one would take? In any event I hope you get your unit working, because you're going to absolutely love the Phantom... Good luck to you Scoot scoot

Solarflarin your very right. I should have done just that. Tony has sent me another amplifier cable. And have it on the radio. Been rainy and windy as heck here in the Mudwest. First chance I get ill take it to the area I had best results before. And see what distance I can get. I've also downloaded FPV Booster on my phone so I have a line of sight icon on my remote to get maximum range.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOLARFLARIN
Solarflarin your very right. I should have done just that. Tony has sent me another amplifier cable. And have it on the radio. Been rainy and windy as heck here in the Mudwest. First chance I get ill take it to the area I had best results before. And see what distance I can get. I've also downloaded FPV Booster on my phone so I have a line of sight icon on my remote to get maximum range.
Excellent, one thing I have experienced by owning a Phantom is that I really needed to learn to be patient and not panic when something goes array. Remember this is a delicate machine and it needs to be respected and treated as such. Not saying that you're being in that way, but I know I was when I first received my Phantom at my doorstep, I ripped the box open charged the lipo's, didn't read one line of instruction.lol.. Luckily the weather became quite crappy with rain, in which it game me the time to step back for a moment and rethink what I was doing.The other thing I noticed is that just about every Pilot I have met in Forums or in the field are very helpful and friendly and just about give you the shirt off their backs... I'm positive you will be very happy with your Phantom, sometimes it takes a little patience but in the end it will be worth every minute. Good luck to you, maybe one day we'll fly together or something.... Best of luck to ya scoot....Your friend, Solarflarin

Update for all those who helped and watched this thread. Finally got to fly last night. It was in my subdivision so not optimized conditions. Flew at just under 400ft high. And was able to get 4500ft distance before any loss of FPV. I'm very happy with that. And would like to thank Tony from FPVLR for helping get it up and running.
I'm hoping to go somewhere flat soon and really let it get some range.

Reactions: hagarthefish
I haven't got my amplifiers installed yet but got a few runs with just my stage 3 and I don't think people realize the importance of pointing your antenaas at the bird. I just ran min out 3.1km (10200') no problem. Actually did a few 360 turns out that far just testing signal and not even a flutter and flew home pointing in all different directions. These things are amazing when installed properly and used properly.

Scoot so did it end up being a bad cable?

image.jpg rrmccabe I don't think it was a cables fault. I don't think I had them ran property. I'll post a picture of the back of my remote tonight. Just to be positive. Jasonnelsin I have the FPV Booster app that I'm flying with. It shows a line from your radio to the bird on screen. And I'm always keeping them lined up as best as I can. I'm hopeful that it's just the crowded area that had me shorter than you might expect. There is some farmland not too far away with no trees around for a very long ways. I hope to get down there and get the kind of range you are speaking of.

Last edited:
View attachment 17707 rrmccabe I don't think it was a cables fault. I don't think I had them ran property. I'll post a picture of the back of my remote tonight. Just to be positive. Jasonnelsin I have the FPV Booster app that I'm flying with. It shows a line from your radio to the bird on screen. And I'm always keeping them lined up as best as I can. I'm hopeful that it's just the crowded area that had me shorter than you might expect. There is some farmland not too far away with no trees around for a very long ways. I hope to get down there and get the kind of range you are speaking of.
Your wires look good. I like Tonys products and do plenty of installs but...... You need clean the connecting ends with 99% alcohol or wiggle the connectors. I twist each one individually when the nut is finger tight. The pins and the receiving end of the SMA connectors often will not be clean enough to give full signal power. I have tripled the distance in testing on costumers birds after cleaning the connectors and this is not just on one or two of them.

Jeremy

Your wires look good. I like Tonys products and do plenty of installs but...... You need clean the connecting ends with 99% alcohol or wiggle the connectors. I twist each one individually when the nut is finger tight. The pins and the receiving end of the SMA connectors often will not be clean enough to give full signal power. I have tripled the distance in testing on costumers birds after cleaning the connectors and this is not just on one or two of them.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy. I'll do that tonight. How exactly did you clean them. Did you just dip the ends into alcohol or use a q-tip or cloth?

Last edited:
Thank you Jeremy. I'll do that tonight. How exactly did you clean them. Did you just dip the ends into alcohol or use a q-tip or cloth?
q-tip and try not to get it on the plasti-dip coating. I let it dry and then put them on finger tight with a little twist of the antenna leads.

I've been flying whenever possible lately. Just never see the distance others with the stage 4 kit report. I can consistently get 3500 to 4500 in a super flat farmland area. Then fpv gets broken. Im at a loss. Cleaned and installed new cables. Tightened them just a tiny bit past finger tight. Does anyone else on here accept these to work on? I'd be willing to pay.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20