Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

But wait!! DJI (Dumb Jerks Inside) arbitrarily make another decision that they will only let one fly in certain areas after they have passed certain tests. Perhaps more advanced tests...and they tie that into their fenced no fly areas and unless your systems matches theirs you can't start the bird. Nothing preventing them from doing that.
The final word for me is this is the exact reason I sold my P4P. I no longer have to deal with the BS! You all enjoy and safe flights for you...if DJI concludes you are safe where you want to fly and will let you start the engines.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I have created a thread titled "safe space" in the general discussion area for those who are having difficulties coping with the DJI exam.

Reactions: N017RW
To obtain a licence to drive a car, boat or jet ski etc. you must pass a test. To licence and own a firearm you must pass a test here. Not a big deal with DJI requiring some form of recognition that you agree to and are aware of the relevant safety rules . 5 minutes for a drone safety test is time well spent and in everyones interest IMO. Well done DJI......BAAAAAAAAA

I'm a newbie P3 4K owner and I have to side with DJI on this. I don’t find taking a short test to ensure the new owner/pilot (in my case – me) has at least a modicum of understanding about what they have and how to use it properly, safely, legally.

Is it a CYA action by DJI? Perhaps. But keep in mind that Boeing, Airbus, Piper, Cessna, etc. as airframe manufacturers are almost always named in a lawsuit involving an aircraft accident even when clearly ruled as pilot error. At least DJI is attempting to address this, so good on them.

Is it a restriction on our God given rights and Liberty? I don’t think so. As elsewhere in this thread someone mentioned that anyone can go buy the most expensive, complex, sophisticated, high powered automobile – but they still have to take test to obtain a driver’s license in order to drive it legally. Nobody seems to complain that having to get a driver’s license was an infringement on our freedom. In fact – most of us were proud of that major accomplishment as evidence we were growing up.

These aircraft are complex machines capable of doing serious damage if not used properly. I’m reasonably sure that the first time someone exercising his/her unfettered ‘freedom’ flies their aircraft into the engine of a landing aircraft and brings it down we will see much more restriction imposed. And BTW – if that accident can be traced back to the owner/pilot of the offending aircraft – get out your checkbook.

Bottom line - why wouldn’t we all want to take great pride in our sport and the ability to fly our aircraft in a professional, accurate and safe manner?

Now – just so you’ll know I’m not a DJI shill – I intend to talk to them at CES-2018 about several things:

1) If they are going to insist on a test – then they need to produce a decent POH for each aircraft. I find their current documentation to be woefully inadequate.

2) As aircraft – they need to adhere to standard navigational markings, for example:

a. The forward LED’s should display red/green (port/starboard) when in normal flight.

b. The rear LED’s should display white.

c. Problems with the aircraft can over-ride in accordance with what I think DJI has done well in terms of visually ascertaining aircraft status.

Just as a basis – I am a licensed private pilot (I intend to get my Part 107) and an ex-Navy air Traffic Controller. I’ve seen a lot of bad aviation in my time; some of it with a not so good ending.

Good day..
I really enjoy the software.
But there's a serious problem that am having my height is always "zero" I mean "0" which is used negative HEIGHT when determining the contour and DEM.

Please what can I do.

The drone that I used was Phantom 2 vision plus.

Thanks in anticipation.

Good day..
I really enjoy the software.
But there's a serious problem that am having my height is always "zero" I mean "0" which is used negative HEIGHT when determining the contour and DEM.

Please what can I do.

The drone that I used was Phantom 2 vision plus.

Thanks in anticipation.
You need to start a post about your question is the best thing to do to get your answer.

For the freedom caucus complaining bitterly about this something-nothing non-issue and how it infringes so much on their rights ... how dare DJI do this ... they have no right etc, etc.
A different way to look at this
According to DJI, they collaborated with the FAA in designing the quiz to ensure pilots fly safely.
You and I know that this little effort isn't going to have much real impact on drone flyers and idiots will still be idiots.
But if the exercise gives the FAA a warm fuzzy feeling that it's a positive outcome for safe drone flying, that's got to be a good thing.
Would you rather have a two minute imposition of an easy-peasy test or have the FAA looking for ways they can really reduce actual freedoms?

Reactions: BigAl07 and Myetkt
For the freedom caucus complaining bitterly about this something-nothing non-issue and how it infringes so much on their rights ... how dare DJI do this ... they have no right etc, etc.
A different way to look at this
According to DJI, they collaborated with the FAA in designing the quiz to ensure pilots fly safely.
You and I know that this little effort isn't going to have much real impact on drone flyers and idiots will still be idiots.
But if the exercise gives the FAA a warm fuzzy feeling that it's a positive outcome for safe drone flying, that's got to be a good thing.
Would you rather have a two minute imposition of an easy-peasy test or have the FAA looking for ways they can really reduce actual freedoms?
And yet this thread splutters along. It will be interesting to see if any future app updates in Australia include a similar test and invoke a similar response, after all we are of convict stock and the Eureka Stockade must count for something....

And yet this thread splutters along. It will be interesting to see if any future app updates in Australia include a similar test and invoke a similar response, after all we are of convict stock and the Eureka Stockade must count for something....
I believe the response will be different because of the infrastructure of the two governments and how the people work in that system. Also culture dictates on how we perceive things and our values.

Interestingly some of the complaints are coming from people who's ideas of what DJI does are from the realm of "alternative facts". ....
Another issue with their policies is that they advertise that the product has a range of miles and yet they do not tell you that they control the amount of distance that they will allow you to go.
You are imagining things.
The Phantom goes as far as you push it and as far as the interference in your local environment or the battery lets it.
If DJI is truly out for the pilot's good, and not just covering their own butts, why not do it with integrity??
Perhaps you can point out the lack of integrity on DJI's part.
I'm afraid I can't see it.
This is just the latest in DJI overstepping. People here are too lazy to bother getting upset about things which don’t affect them much. Not many on this forum bother to look at the big picture or the implications of the latest overstep
Or .. they do look at the big picture and see this for what it is rather than conflating it into a huge imaginary disaster.
DJI continues to do whatever they want - changing their products capabilities well after the sale has been made. Well after any warranties have expired.

The ones I’ve taken notice of have been the introduction of a flight ceiling. This was ignored by most people because there were already government regulations about altitude limits - and not many people wanted to go that high - but it’s still a valid example of DJI changing capabilities of the product after it was purchased.
The reason that most people ignored that is ... because it never happened!!!
The Phantom 3 series and Phantom 4s still fly as high as when they were first released.
There was no imposition of a flight ceiling after they were released.
I can't think of any cases of DJI reducing capabilities of a product after it was purchased.
What if - for safety reasons - DJI relied on internet weather data to determine that conditions (or forecast) were not optimal for flight in your area today - and then refused to let you fly until the weather cleared up. Would you all complain then? Or would you just accept that too?
What if DJI comes round and takes your car for a joyride to Tijuana?
What if you could only complain about what DJI has done rather than what you imagine they might do.
Are you kidding? Our freedoms matter more than anything. Many countries don't have our freedoms. Give me liberty or give me death! Freedom is not free!!!
Are you kidding?
What's the precious freedom that's at risk here?

Reactions: Myetkt and sar104
I believe the response will be different because of the infrastructure of the two governments and how the people work in that system. Also culture dictates on how we perceive things and our values.
I suspect so from what I have read on this forum regarding the ideals and values held by those in the US. Over here such things as the DJI 'test' will be seen by most as an annoyance and we just get on with it. Over in the US it is perceived by me from reading some of the comments that it is an infringement on a number of levels. As I noted earlier, surprised to see this spluttering along with over 200 posts when it's basically a yes/no decision followed by an action of some sort. Do the test or buy something else. It really is that simple.

Reactions: sar104
Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!
Excuse me... is that the option you want?? Their is a huge licensing system in place so you can drive your "chevy". If the car mfgs took care of licensing and testing (see dji exam) things would be much worse. Yeah, that's the ticket.... Ticketing and fines, court fees. Just don't get caught driving er flying while stoned. Dji exam is just the continuation of the erosion of personal responsibility struggling against the rapidly increasing percentage of thoughtless stupid people who unnecessarily put others at risk.

Excuse me... is that the option you want?? Their is a huge licensing system in place so you can drive your "chevy". If the car mfgs took care of licensing and testing (see dji exam) things would be much worse. Yeah, that's the ticket.... Ticketing and fines, court fees. Just don't get caught driving er flying while stoned. Dji exam is just the continuation of the erosion of personal responsibility struggling against the rapidly increasing percentage of thoughtless stupid people who unnecessarily put others at risk.
How many times have you purchased a product with seemingly absurd warning labels on the product like hair dryers that warn the buyer not to use it in the shower or the label on Preparation H warning the buyer that the product should not be used orally? Because there are a heap of duffusses out there that have done exactly that. Sadly, some of those duffusses have bought drones and ripped the box open and launched it without a single care in the world for themselves, passers-by or their drone. We have all read their posts on this forum complaining about what a lemon the got from DJI. How it failed to perform up to their expectations. Take the exam. If you can't pass it give your drone to some kid as a gift. He/she will pass the exam and probably even read the instruction manual.

Youse guys are taking this way too seriously!
You CAN'T fail the test.
If you get a question wrong, you pick another answer till you find the right one!
Of all the things to get upset about!

Reactions: Myetkt and Meta4
There is no reason that the PIC should have their flight time and their battery depleted, after arming the motors, with some silly 'test" which has to be randomly retaken, more than once! :eek: Battery life is precious, and eating it up on a test is absurd! It's the loss of battery time that is at issue, rather than the silly test itself! Figure out some other way to implement the test, without reducing precious flight time.

Last edited:
There is no reason that the PIC should have their flight time and their battery depleted, after arming the motors, with some silly 'test"! :eek:

Actually the test appears as soon as you connect to the aircraft - not after motor start - so that's not really an issue.

I am solidly in the camp that thinks the test is a good idea. All we need is for someone to be seriously injured by someone not following what are sensible rules. That will lead to real legislation and enforcement. We do all have to pass tests to do everyday things if there is a danger of hurting others - think car driving, the bar for lawyers, licensing for beauticians etc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24