Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

It is true it is their app, but it is also part of the package you bought. So, if you buy a new tablet, would it be OK, if the Android operating system required you to prove that you know how to use the tablet? Have you ever been required to take a test after purchasing an APP?
It is fine to ask you to take the test, for their own purposes, maybe marketing. But to deny access to flight, well that is probably crossing the line legally.

But let me bring up another point, that is similar and bothers me. This test comes up over your screen after you arm the motors, I have no idea of whether it would have taken off if I would have launched immediately, but I assume it wouldn't have let me.

However, the Air Space Warning are the same, but can pop up after you are in the air. Completely blocking the view of the camera. It requires you to check boxes and agree, when you are in the fricking air![emoji35] First time, I could not see the damned boxes, took me a minute to figure out what to do. YOU DON'T DO THAT TO A PILOT IN THE AIR. Distraction is something that is not tolerated.

So, if you want to tell me something or ask me something, do it as I open the APP, before the motors are armed. DJI is not being safety conscious, they are protecting their butts on this. At first I was fine with this. It is not really a huge thing. But now this damned test, I have owned the drone quite a while, have logged many miles on it and a lot of hours. Why now? Why the test, after all that? This has nothing to do with our safety, is for their own benefit. When will this stop? Will they start popping up questioners, tests, questions about your flying, tell you that you are not flying very well or need lessons?

Look, I am a pilot, I have flown many things over the last 50 years. I am safety conscious and all for public awareness. I don't quibble over the updates or even the damned stupid warnings that you are in certain areas and must tell them its OK. But not after I am flying and the bird is in the air and dangerous.

No one else in the industry is doing this, no regulations require it. I have been a fan of DJI since day one, but this small annoyance is like a pimple, I don't like it. Stop it, it is my drone, I bought it, you have no rights over it now. It is like any one camera, Nikon doesn't require you to do anything. You can buy any racing drone you want that exceeds 100 mph, certainly dangerous but there are no tests. RC plane, no test, nothing like this. There is not precedent for this, nor any existing law that I am aware of.

This kind of thing can do great damage to a company, it can effect sales and cause people to shy away from a product. IF, there is a legitimate reason for these, fine, but DJI, you have to tell people that they are going to have to put up with all this BEFORE they buy.

Flame suit on, I have never taken a stand against DJI before, I have always backed them. But I am wondering what the hell they are doing and where this all ends. They can ground the P4P at their whim, anytime they feel they want to question you. Well, I disagree, they have no right to disable flight on my P4P, even if I could not pass the test. Chinese are not above the laws of the US. The must comply with consumer law, some manufacturers found that out the hard way here in California. Stop playing around and just do your job, make the drones better, the software better, but it is not your job to decide who flies your product.[emoji41]

Those are valid points, but have you read the terms of service within the packaging.
I’m pretty sure you can call DJI with your complaints and ask for a refund. The test came up for me after powering the device on. The aircraft warning comes on when my motors are spinning but in my neighbor hood I’m 10feet from a NFZ, when purchasing the device I didn’t see a label saying they would restrict that. However read the terms of service or call and return it. Usually they start off with “By purchasing our product you agree to”

It is really crazy that DJI is involved in the use of their drones. That is a task for regional and national governments. And the competent authorities. When something goes wrong the manufacturer takes no responsibility. The government is obliged to give citizens proper rules and supervise the implementation of these rules.

It is nice that a warning appears on your screen when you are flying in a 'no-fly area', but as a citizen you must have the freedom to use your drone (within the frame of the law) everywhere.

It would also be complete madness you car can't drive faster than the maximum speed. And if you want to drive faster, then you have to ask the government and the manufacturer.

f4b109ab64f1f8f1300f23ed3e8cca04.jpg

Last edited:
Those are valid points, but have you read the terms of service within the packaging.
I’m pretty sure you can call DJI with your complaints and ask for a refund. The test came up for me after powering the device on. The aircraft warning comes on when my motors are spinning but in my neighbor hood I’m 10feet from a NFZ, when purchasing the device I didn’t see a label saying they would restrict that. However read the terms of service or call return it. Usually they start of with “By purchasing our product you agree to”
OK< I will read the thing, but I don't think I will see anything in their about tests, grounding of the drone, pop ups that require action, after the bird is launched, requiring you to hover and work on screen with your eyes off the craft, which is against the rules.

Where are you required to stare at the craft during flight? If so you could not fly FPV.
Don’t conflate that with VLOS.

Well it is a (discussion) forum. Your input was welcome too.

Reactions: ArJay
"DJI is under no obligation to restrict you from flying your DJI Hardware in areas that pose safety or security concerns. In some instances, however, DJI may limit or disable the operation of the DJI Hardware in locations that raise safety or security concerns and these locations may change with or without notice when DJI determines that a location raises a safety or security concern."

OK, this is the only thing about disabling of the Quad. It says it can if you are violating air space. There is nothing about them determining whether you are qualified to fly it or not, nothing. So, I see no agreement with DJI to allow this test or where they determine the right to issue it. The FAA determines pilot certification, no one else. No laws are current, that require a test for a person to fly a drone for recreation.

So, I stand by what I said. I am not happy they have decided to become my overseer and steward. I did not agree with it. No pop ups should ever cover the screen, after the motors are armed and running, much less after the craft is flying. That is ridiculous. I believe that if a pilot was distracted by this and he inadvertently hit someone with it, due to this distraction, they could be open for a lawsuit. But I would still like to hear from a lawyer on this.

Next is this tidbit. if you don't like it, tough, if you activated it, you get nothing. So, they don't want you to run 3rd party apps and can refuse to provide warranty, they can keep your money, though you don't wish to agree with their terms, how nice for them. So, if you don't like their terms, you must use 3rd party APPS and they have restrictions on that. So you would not be able to take video with your P4P, not a see what is happening without using a 3rd party app. That seems like a pretty crappy agreement to me. California is not so simple a place to pull crap on consumers, hope they haven't started something they will regret.

"If you have recently purchased a product offered by DJI and you do not agree to the Terms, you may be entitled to a full refund of your purchase of the product if you return the inactivated product within the return period in accordance with the DJI After-sales Service Policies (After-Sales Service Policies - DJI)."

What if a person buys this for their kid for Christmas, it sits under the tree for a month, the kid opens it, he does not know the answers to the questions, he can't fly it. The kids is broken hearted, that father is livid after spending all that money. The return time has passed and he is now sitting there fuming. Should the kid know the rules, yes. Should he take the test, maybe. But not when the complete novice had put the thing on the driveway, and started the motors, they are spinning now. This should be something that you have to take before you open the box and register it. After that is it too late to return it.

Last edited:
Where are you required to stare at the craft during flight? If so you could not fly FPV.
Don’t conflate that with VLOS.
OK, so it is fine to distract you once you are in the air and require you to take action that takes you eyes off the craft?

Yes. Mine will hover until the battery requires it to land.

Yes. Mine will hover until the battery requires it to land.
Not the point. Don't distract attention of the pilot while the craft is in the air. That is just not right! Do it prior to arming motors, that is only common sense.

OK< I will read the thing, but I don't think I will see anything in their about tests, grounding of the drone, pop ups that require action, after the bird is launched, requiring you to hover and work on screen with your eyes off the craft, which is against the rules.

There is the product Terms of Service and the App terms of service. If you find anything go and ask.

Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!

Because you have a DRIVERS LICENSE when you drive a car. Where is the equivalent in droning?

Because you have a DRIVERS LICENSE when you drive a car. Where is the equivalent in droning?
When the FAA determines that all drone pilots get a certificate, then you will have a certificate and be tested. But as long as recreational pilots do not require a certificate, then there are no tests. DJI, does not have need to do this, especially if the drone has been in service for a while, just a silly way to cover their asses.

Reactions: jwjonesjr
I agree Bakersfield but everything DJI does is CYA and preemptive. No fly zone restrictions? No one in the US government has asked for this to be baked in yet it is. Silly. Perhaps. But a previous poster mentioned a child relative is getting a spark and it might be good for the noobs. Pros shouldn’t be off putted by this.

Really, they ground the quad until you pass, that is barred from flying, right?o_O
barred from flying means you are grounded permanently
Until you pass means a minor delay.
What if a person buys this for their kid for Christmas, it sits under the tree for a month, the kid opens it, he does not know the answers to the questions, he can't fly it. The kids is broken hearted, that father is livid after spending all that money. The return time has passed and he is now sitting there fuming. Should the kid know the rules, yes. Should he take the test, maybe. But not when the complete novice had put the thing on the driveway, and started the motors, they are spinning now. This should be something that you have to take before you open the box and register it. After that is it too late to return it.
Really, this is just silly.
Have you seen the "test"
It's very, very easy to answer and you talk as if your Phantom will never fly again if you get a question wrong.
I can't believe the ridiculous arguments being pushed here.

Have you seen the "test"
It's very, very easy to answer and you talk as if your Phantom will never fly again if you get a question wrong.
If the test is that simple, what's the point in it? If it's possible to fail then you are being barred from flying.
I have to agree with the OP, Bakersfield and Einstein - but also with the people who say it's a tiny thing. But why not deal with it now instead of waiting for it to grow?
And pop ups when you're in the air are not on.

Have you seen the "test"
Of course, I took it, simple and easy. Your opinion is valuable, but skewed toward DJI having the right to do this or something. Now, sure, this time it was not hard, it took a short time. But what if there is more of this, with things you just don't want to answer or don't have time or whatever. DJI seems to think they can put restrictions on our property, without prior agreements, requiring you to answer things that are not required under law.
The point is not that this was fairly simple, it is an intrusion into your life that they have no legal right to do. This being only the first of such things, we have no idea of what is to come. Either I bought the drone and can use their software as per EULA agreements, or not. If the agreements do not contain language specifically outlining this type of pop up, questioner, then they should not be there. If they insist on taking control, then they must allow 3rd party software so that you can NOT AGREE as stated and still get warranty. Without the DJI Software, the P4P is useless as a camera platform unless you buy 3rd part software. This is a circle, accept what they want or screw you. Maybe that sounds a bit harsh, but that is exactly how they tell it.
This one little thing, on its own, is not a big deal. But the fact that they did it is. There is no reason to give me a quiz, after I have been flying my purchased drone for a while, plus there is no required test for drone flying for recreation currently. They have no right to demand you to take a test or withdraw you ability to use your drone. That is the way it is, not an opinion, but fact.
They can make you read an agreement, before proceeding, that is OK, but that is about all. Afterward, the responsibility for the flight of the drone is on you, as per their agreement, so get out of my flying!
This is my opinion, you are completely allowed to disagree.:)

Reactions: jwjonesjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31