Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

Wait until they pop up a window "Sorry, but we don't think you should fly today" or "We have decide to ground your drone until further inquiries are complete". After all, they had no right to quiz you, so why not do whatever they wish?

I disagree; I think it shows there are still folks who deeply care about how our freedoms are being slowly eroded one TRIVIAL? item at a time. Perhaps falsely attributed to hitler, but very scary and true today right here in the world's last hope for freedom, America:

''The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode their rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which those changes can be reversed.''
Just the other day, i noticed a rapid flicker of my Go app screen. I recorded it, and it was subliminal messages telling me to kick the neigbors cat!
I flew anyway, and could hear a barely audible voice speaking to me in Chinese.
Mine's going in the trash![emoji33]

very scary and true today right here in the world's last hope for freedom, America
In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which those changes can be reversed.''
If you really think that, you need to get out and travel a little more.
And if you think that the silly little test is eroding your rights and freedoms, you need to dial the hyperbole back to moderate.
Save the rage for things that actually matter.
Wait until they pop up a window "Sorry, but we don't think you should fly today" or "We have decide to ground your drone until further inquiries are complete". After all, they had no right to quiz you, so why not do whatever they wish?
I think I'll take your advice and wait until they do that before I get excited about it.

If you really think that, you need to get out and travel a little more.
And if you think that the silly little test is eroding your rights and freedoms, you need to dial the hyperbole back to moderate.
Save the rage for things that actually matter.

I think I'll take your advice and wait until they do that before I get excited about it.
You are a good guy. We definitely disagree on some points. I don't know about others, but I lived and travel a lot. A lot. I love foods and different cultures. I still believe you buy something it is yours. DJI stepped on a lot of toes. My American government makes the rules and I have a part in it. Screw China for going beyond the boundaries of their authority. I write this while waiting for the show to start at Dolly Wood. Lol

How many aircraft pilots get into the cockpit and are forced to take an exam before starting up? Zero. Why is this ok? In the last two weeks I've had this stupid quiz and numerous firmware and software issues all of which is quickly adding up to why am I involved with DJI, increasingly unreliable. Hard to build a business around a company who does not have the best interests of their customers in mind.

Well the do have a pre-flight check off list to complete[emoji13]

Of course, I took it, simple and easy. Your opinion is valuable, but skewed toward DJI having the right to do this or something. Now, sure, this time it was not hard, it took a short time. But what if there is more of this, with things you just don't want to answer or don't have time or whatever. DJI seems to think they can put restrictions on our property, without prior agreements, requiring you to answer things that are not required under law.
The point is not that this was fairly simple, it is an intrusion into your life that they have no legal right to do. This being only the first of such things, we have no idea of what is to come. Either I bought the drone and can use their software as per EULA agreements, or not. If the agreements do not contain language specifically outlining this type of pop up, questioner, then they should not be there. If they insist on taking control, then they must allow 3rd party software so that you can NOT AGREE as stated and still get warranty. Without the DJI Software, the P4P is useless as a camera platform unless you buy 3rd part software. This is a circle, accept what they want or screw you. Maybe that sounds a bit harsh, but that is exactly how they tell it.
This one little thing, on its own, is not a big deal. But the fact that they did it is. There is no reason to give me a quiz, after I have been flying my purchased drone for a while, plus there is no required test for drone flying for recreation currently. They have no right to demand you to take a test or withdraw you ability to use your drone. That is the way it is, not an opinion, but fact.
They can make you read an agreement, before proceeding, that is OK, but that is about all. Afterward, the responsibility for the flight of the drone is on you, as per their agreement, so get out of my flying!
This is my opinion, you are completely allowed to disagree.:)

Exactly!!

I may make enemies on this forum with my position, but I'm OK with that. Having to pass an exam to be able to use a product a person legitimately purchased in a retail store is never OK. It has never been acceptable practice by any company in the free market. Those who feel that it is OK are either mouthpieces for the company, or so passively sheep that they buy into whatever DJI dictates. This is not a slam on DJI technology, for I deeply respect the advances they've made with drones. But from a business perspective, this is totally contrary to a free market society. And from a legal perspective, I would conclude this is not in compliance with full disclosure to the consumer market.

The easy you call everyone who disagrees with you a sheep is really immature. It's not a very binary issue you could come up with a dozen of reasons why they would do this. Liability for one they may believe it could help if a 13 year old kills someone with mavic, could help keep the regulators at Bay if they think we can regulate ourselves. They could generally be concerned with people's safety, it's a short simple test.

Hell if that test prevents one accident it could be enough to tip the scales in our favor keeping legislation away. Bottom line it's their product and the only intention is safety.

DJI GO App Terms of Use LoL scroll through and read guys. It’s in it’s in there. You can refuse to take the test and not use the app. You’re suppose to be 18 or older to use the app. I didn’t know that was in there. There is quiet a bit of data in there, they collect data on you, personal info etc.

Also it states this app is licensed to you, not given. Meaning they can revoke the use of the app meaning failing or not doing that quiz . Also it says by using DJI GO app you agree to no class action suits. So it pays to read the TOS on any app. as I said in the beginning...

Last edited:
Reactions: HarleyKen
DJI GO App Terms of Use LoL scroll through and read guys. It’s in it’s in there. You can refuse to take the test and not use the app. You’re suppose to be 18 or older to use the app. I didn’t know that was in there. There is quiet a bit of data in there, they collect data on you, personal info etc.
I did read it, they hold a lot of control if you use the App.:(

I did read it, they hold a lot of control if you use the App.:(

Yeah, it’s dumb but you can a) take the quiz and have fun b) get a different drone

I chose a.
I have written and published some apps on the Apple store. That TOS can say about anything you want and apple doesn’t care. It’s if it holds up in court.

Hopefully this topic dies now. It keeps popping up on my phone how everyone’s going to sue and how they know so much.

Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!

Ad hominums always contribute to the discussion....

And of course, you do have a driver's license, yes? Personally, I've taken a number of tests / courses from various manufacturers for dangerous things. Some of them are pretty stupid, but usually the dumber ones are government mandated (I'm looking at YOU OSHA).

Lighten up, life is short enough.

Reactions: N017RW
Other than a private sale, it is possible to buy a car without a license from a dealer or reseller under certain conditions such as a cash sale. It’s just not a common thing.
Driving it, well that’s obvious.

I am not a conspiracy guy but who knows where all this information goes? Maybe China uses all of the flight data and videos for military reasons. Who the **** knows.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but who knows what the Chinese do with all the data they collect?
All what data?
DJI don't collect all your data, videos and still images.
They only get your flight data if you choose to upload it to their cloud.
Even if they could somehow collect everything, the military value of all the videos and flight data would be zero anyway.
The obvious thing they do with flight data is assess warranty claims to determine the cause of an incident.

Nothing they do like this does anything but make the consumer look for other brands. Just because someone passes a test doesn't mean they have brains. How many people pass their driver test that shouldn't be driving? How many people pass their conceal to carry class and act responsible. I can see them doing their part to maybe just cover their butts. But to me if I'm new to this. Def would not wanna have to pass a stupid test to go fly.

It is not the test, it is the precedent that is important. As far as I know, this is the first time DJI has threatened to disable the use of YOUR property, for their purpose and without warning.
Sure, it is a silly test, but it is my damned airplane and the use of DJI GO 4 App, so that I can fly IT is implied. If they wish to put more restrictions, take more liberties, you have no choice, except to use 3d party software, which can deny warranty at their whim.
So, before you dismiss this SO quickly, be a little paranoid and think about that. A chip at a time and the grandest of tree, will fall.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing