Follow me mode failed

Reaction score
Hi all,

It sucks that my first post to this amazing resource concerns a P3A fail (I should really have posted sooner about all the stoke I've been having until about yesterday!).

I've been enjoying my new P3A (except the photo quality which suuuucks because of the blurriness, but that's a different post for another day) until yesterday when my attempt at follow me mode failed miserably.

Sitch: I launched my phantom as always, everything green systems go. Engaged follow me mode. Things looked okay on my iphone 6. I hop on my bike, holding the controller level and before I started moving the bird started acting erratically. Then all of a sudden seems like full throttle and into the bushes it goes.

It looked as if the GPS signal was less than optimal and the healthydrone confirms that. However, I would have expected the software to have recognized any significant deviations from the GPS and fail-safed somehow. Being new to this mode, I might have gotten it wrong somewhere.

Anyway, here's the log. If anyone would be kind enough to take a look and share what might have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance!

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Roger that suck it up. Video quality pure awesome. Photo not so much, kinda looks like it's out of focus a bit, regardless of the distance to the subject (5m, same as 100m)

Are you using a filter? Good for video, bad for stills.

I thought on Follow me mode, when GPS satellites drop to a certain threshold it automatically quits the function modes and the phantom just hovers, that's what happened to me once upon a time.
In regards to dodgy photo quality- were you playing around in manual mode? as I once changed my shutter speed so that it is slower with a low ISO , forgetting that the drone isn't a stable craft- the pictures that it took were more blurry than i would have hoped.

I thought on Follow me mode, when GPS satellites drop to a certain threshold it automatically quits the function modes and the phantom just hovers, that's what happened to me once upon a time.
In regards to dodgy photo quality- were you playing around in manual mode? as I once changed my shutter speed so that it is slower with a low ISO , forgetting that the drone isn't a stable craft- the pictures that it took were more blurry than i would have hoped.
Hey Samuaw,

That was my understanding also from reading the manual some time ago. Basically a fail safe would trigger to save it from crashing. There definitely wasn't anything like this.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with this. If I had dunked my drone into the ocean because of pilot error or crashed into a tree because I was pushing my luck, I'd accept that fate. But having software fail like this for no apparent reason is concerning for such an advanced system.

Now lucky there was no damage, otherwise I'd be pretty pissed. But regardless, the follow me mode was one of the main selling points for me and now I can't put any trust into this function...

Curious to hear from others on their experience with this mode...

As for the photo issue, it was on automatic mode. It's not so much that you have motion blur, but rather an out of focus situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic