Flying from inside house or car anyone?

When I bought the mag mounts and antennas I was/am still using RG-6 coax. The mag mounts came as SMA connectors with some really wimpy coax (4ft). I have some N-unions I will rig my new mounts with.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
I am looking for a 90 degree N that I can drill the mag base out and modify to N-status.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Any luck with the P4P Jeremiah?

Will the car setup easily work with the P3P?

Yes got the pro back yesterday. The remote is modded and I took it up last night with the house ground station. Works great. What I like is the visibility compared to the p4 in low light conditions. Windy as heck so only went about 8000ft came back. Also something else my p4p binds to the inspire 2 so no need to mod that remote. I would like to keep it stock and use the p4p remote for inside flying.

When I bought the mag mounts and antennas I was/am still using RG-6 coax. The mag mounts came as SMA connectors with some really wimpy coax (4ft). I have some N-unions I will rig my new mounts with.

I am using everything n now with adapters on the remote sick of my sma ends coming apart. This is what I use for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 313
Reactions: Turbomania
Look who showed up today. X4s and all. Waiting on clean install kit and a new 10w amp.
Hi Jeremiah! Long time passed...:)
I tested quite some amplifiers and the actual power of the ampsis defined by the gain ratio of input+gain.
The max wattage only seem the max the amp can handle before it smokes up.
The higher quality amps which provide a quite stable fixed output using Agc(automatic gain control) need a certain threshold. The L-com amps work great but costing 700 dollar each.. For the Rx gain the power is anyway irrelevant. I thought investing in a ultra light low noise lab amplifier for the bird instead.
The omni antennas got me out 6,3km with the Rf-linx.
A test on RX with two Rf-linx in series worked even better when switching TX gain to minimum. A one way flight got me 9,1 km with 20db panels.
Probably I could have saved a lot of money when using bird side mod..:)
How is it going with your set-up?

Hi Jeremiah! Long time passed...:)
I tested quite some amplifiers and the actual power of the ampsis defined by the gain ratio of input+gain.
The max wattage only seem the max the amp can handle before it smokes up.
The higher quality amps which provide a quite stable fixed output using Agc(automatic gain control) need a certain threshold. The L-com amps work great but costing 700 dollar each.. For the Rx gain the power is anyway irrelevant. I thought investing in a ultra light low noise lab amplifier for the bird instead.
The omni antennas got me out 6,3km with the Rf-linx.
A test on RX with two Rf-linx in series worked even better when switching TX gain to minimum. A one way flight got me 9,1 km with 20db panels.
Probably I could have saved a lot of money when using bird side mod..:)
How is it going with your set-up?

Ibv what's up! I appreciate your knowledge you certainly have a higher degree of understanding than myself. Anyway, yeah I hear you on the power output of the amps. The 10w I have on the way was worked out in trade. What amp have u settled for your downlink? My setup is great with just one suhan. Have you found need for amps on the control side? That's some great distance to btw. My m100 hit just under 9 miles with the lcoms and one 3w amp in the car 30,000ft plus in the house and one amp.

Ibv what's up! I appreciate your knowledge you certainly have a higher degree of understanding than myself. Anyway, yeah I hear you on the power output of the amps. The 10w I have on the way was worked out in trade. What amp have u settled for your downlink? My setup is great with just one suhan. Have you found need for amps on the control side? That's some great distance to btw. My m100 hit just under 9 miles with the lcoms and one 3w amp in the car 30,000ft plus in the house and one amp.
Lololol... Yes... Higher, much higher degree..lol

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

IMG_0794.JPG
10W = 40dBm.. (per watt to dBm conversion calculator) Better get chain oil cause you'll be cuttin' some trees!

Only going to try on the rx and see if there is an improvement. Just so happened to get to talking with an engineer by chance and stumbled onto this subject. He said he's been doing this for years and his components were very similar he's using 2 20w amps on a retractable mast mounted at opposite ends of the house. He said he could penetrate through trees 3 miles away and when he emailed me a pic I was impressed. He has set up several for clients that don't really have much mobility and this is a perfect solution to view anywhere on the property. Here is a pic of his gear.

Reactions: JohnnyB and cstout
Pretty awesome! I seen something similar except they had there antennas in trees with a good spread like that. Did he mention which antennas he used?

Pretty awesome! I seen something similar except they had there antennas in trees with a good spread like that. Did he mention which antennas he used?

I can find out. I ended up with a 10w version of the amp he was using. But basically said any good 9dbi out door omnidirectional. I need to separate mine but just haven't felt the need based on the results I have now. I am still blown away every time I fly.

View attachment 73251

Only going to try on the rx and see if there is an improvement. Just so happened to get to talking with an engineer by chance and stumbled onto this subject. He said he's been doing this for years and his components were very similar he's using 2 20w amps on a retractable mast mounted at opposite ends of the house. He said he could penetrate through trees 3 miles away and when he emailed me a pic I was impressed. He has set up several for clients that don't really have much mobility and this is a perfect solution to view anywhere on the property. Here is a pic of his gear.
OMG!!! I need that!!!

I can find out. I ended up with a 10w version of the amp he was using. But basically said any good 9dbi out door omnidirectional. I need to separate mine but just haven't felt the need based on the results I have now. I am still blown away every time I fly.

What's a setup like that run?? Looks pricey! Amazing...but pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT