flyin without home point

Reaction score
hello everyone

ive got a question about flying in opti/ atti mode.. lets say that i want to put an aluminum foil over its gps to ensure that no home point will be recorded during flight.. i know that if an rc disconnection happens it is goin to autoland wherever it is.. but.. i dont know if its got some kind of height limitations like my p4p has when flying in opti or atti mode.. i havent tryied it yet because i dont know if its got any kind of limitations or what do i have to expect except of the classic drift.. im on 1.11.30 fw..

thanks in avdance
xrider

So you want to do this...
i-M45s6SC-M.jpg

but.. i dont know if its got some kind of height limitations like my p4p has when flying in opti or atti mode.. i havent tryied it yet because i dont know if its got any kind of limitations or what do i have to expect except of the classic drift.
p41 of the manual says this:
Height is restricted to 26 feet (8 meters)when the GPS signal is weak and Vision Positioning is activated.
Height is restricted to 164 feet (50meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Vision Positioning is inactivated.

That's higher than the P4pro will go (30 metres).
**GPS signal weak is DJI's way of saying No GPS

So you want to do this...
i-M45s6SC-M.jpg

p41 of the manual says this:
Height is restricted to 26 feet (8 meters)when the GPS signal is weak and Vision Positioning is activated.
Height is restricted to 164 feet (50meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Vision Positioning is inactivated.

That's higher than the P4pro will go (30 metres).

ive tryied to take a look in sim but.. it seems that no restriction takes action.. anyway.. sim doesnt correspond to reality.. so.. i want to know before i take it ouside for a flight.. better to know before gettin into trouble..

ps. its a p3 with 1.11.30 fw on it.. dont know if restrictions of 30 meters are activated without gps..

One has to ask why anyone would want to fly without the drone knowing where you are, setting the home point? It is a drone saver in so many scenarios.

Reactions: LARA images
Read post #3 again.
The answer is there.

oook.. it will fly up until it reaches 8 meters..

im givin an answer to the member who said sth about "drone saver".. i want to do that because one of the most useful things of havin a drone is to know its limits.. when you can keep on flyin and when its not so good idea.. i will not fly it bvlos.. only upwards to see what's gonna happen and then land it..

thanks ?

im givin an answer to the member who said sth about "drone saver".. i want to do that because one of the most useful things of havin a drone is to know its limits.. when you can keep on flyin and when its not so good idea.. i will not fly it bvlos.. only upwards to see what's gonna happen and then land it..

thanks ?

Does your P3 have VPS ?

Does your P3 have VPS ?

once we are in pro/adv section.. so.. i guess yes it has.. ?
drone world its so exciting as you keep on learning how they work despite of how many years you re flying with them.. ?

I'm struggling to understand why anyone would want to do this .......

Reactions: dronesky
i dont understand the reason why not understand better its normal operation..

Those infidels.. they never understand.

If you want to fight the wind by yourself - atti mode is enough.
If you want to break height limit, or modify the drone so you can turn off and then re-enable motors mid air - modify flyc_param_infos.
And if you just don't want the drone to know your GPS coords - I guess the tin foil will do. You can't just disconnect the GPS module - the FC will complain and refuse to start motors.

Though I didn't know the drone won't let you go higher than 50 meters without GPS. Does that mean that if you lose GPS at 100 meters, it will start descending by itself?

Turn off VPS and it will go to 50 metres.

Turn off VPS and it will go to 50 metres.

done the expirement and.. when i gave throttle up.. it went at 22 meters of height when i realised that its a bit gusty up there.. so i ve landed it.. threw away the foil and flew my little buddy in p-gps mode.. it seems that there are no height limitations for some unknown reason.. i never turn off its vps.. it began flyin in opti mode and about 10 meters off the ground it turned into atti mode.. no height limitations as expected.. as i didnt expect opti mode till 10 meters up.. i was like "is that supposed to haplen??!! really now??!! meeh.. not interested.. im gettin it down!!" .. im a bit confused i have to say..

as for the fw modifications.. i dont think that im gonna ever try that.. i like my flyin buddy as is.. even without limitations.. maybe its a way to tell me "land me or else.. you are goin to play the game of "hidden treasure" .. is what you really want??" .. hehe

i dont understand the reason why not understand better its normal operation..

Sorry but IMHO - doesn't make sense. I appreciate the wish to understand how it performs in all aspects - but this in my mind exceeds the bounds of reasonable use.
If you want to know how it flies without GPS ... find a gym or similar and go there ... no fuss, no mess, instant No GPS flight.
To really get to know what it will do in event of GPS loss ... then why not do as I do occasionally - fly around inside a tree area that has a canopy restricting GPS reception ? That way you will experience intermittent GPS.

I fly all sorts of models including multi-rotors that do not have such levels of data input as the DJI's ... that need to be 'flown' by the pilot. I also switch to ATTI on my P3P at times to keep my hand in ...
So I am fully aware and also a person who likes to know what to expect and how to keep control.

The DJI multi-rotors are designed to provide as stable a platform as possible for camera work. They are not in reality FPV or racing / aerobatic machines. In event of a function failing such as GPS - they have programmed response - which is designed to provide as much safety as possible.

Fine - I accept my PoV differs from yours ... no problem.

Last edited:
Sorry but IMHO - doesn't make sense. I appreciate the wish to understand how it performs in all aspects - but this in my mind exceeds the bounds of reasonable use.
If you want to know how it flies without GPS ... find a gym or similar and go there ... no fuss, no mess, instant No GPS flight.

i do not have the "royality" of flying in a closed and controlled space.. so.. what ive understood from the expirement is that it really really needs its gps to fight correctly the winds.. maybe its just only me.. but.. i dont find the reason of overcorrecting the position with the sticks.. it didnt make me feel ok.. so i ended up with the question "where has height limitation gone??" ..

I fly all sorts of models including multi-rotors that do not have such levels of data input as the DJI's ... that need to be 'flown' by the pilot. I also switch to ATTI on my P3P at times to keep my hand in ...
So I am fully aware and also a person who likes to know what to expect and how to keep control.

i understand you.. i also like having control over sth.. especially when its got rotating blades at thousands rpms

The DJI multi-rotors are designed to provide as stable a platform as possible for camera work. They are not in reality FPV or racing / aerobatic machines. In event of a function failing such as GPS - they have programmed response - which is designed to provide as much safety as possible.

you mean by your words that what ive done was extremely unsafe.. well.. you re right but.. not completely.. i didnt fly it away from take off point as i didnt want it to autoland somewhere if connection was out.. so i only gave a bit of elevation to see if its goin to give height limitations or not.. well it didnt.. for some unknown reason..

all i want is to understand some things from people with much more experience.. so i need different points of view to understand what is correct and whats not..

?

Last edited by a moderator:

i do not have the "royality" of flying in a closed and controlled space.. so.. what ive understood from the expirement is that it really really needs its gps to fight correctly the winds.. maybe its just only me.. but.. i dont find the reason of overcorrecting the position with the sticks.. it didnt make me feel ok.. so i ended up with the question "where has height limitation gone??" ..

Correct - its needs the GPS to be able to stabilise in winds ... barometer for height and the VPS which is useless above 6m are unable to keep that model steady in position. Your findings of lack of height limitation are actually inconclusive as you did not approach 50M altitude.

i understand you.. i also like having control over sth.. especially when its got rotating blades at thousands rpms

Appreciated and understood

you mean by your words that what ive done was extremely unsafe.. well.. you re right but.. not completely.. i didnt fly it away from take off point as i didnt want it to autoland somewhere if connection was out.. so i only gave a bit of elevation to see if its goin to give height limitations or not.. well it didnt.. for some unknown reason..

I never said what you are doing is unsafe - I would assume that your are sensible enough to do this 'experiment' in suitable area away from any obstacles or people. What I am saying is DJI are producing UAV's for specific style of flight purpose. In effect what you are doing is reducing its functions to mimic more a cheaper non-GPS machine. Something that is never intended by DJI.
Again I mention that your height limitation was not a result as you did not actually hit the max it would ascend to.
Some time ago - near a year ago now ... there was debate about with Go or without GO. I then ran a test flight to create a video showing exactly what happens. I took off with only AC and RC without GO. It hit the hard barrier of 50m in all dimensions .. vertical and horizontal radius. Unfortunately - the next part of the test I wanted to do - switch off Go during flight couldn't be done as I misjudged distance to a tree which I thought was further away .. the P3P hit the tree as I could not avoid being on the hard 50m limit. That 'event' cost me over 300 euros !!

all i want is to understand some things from people with much more experience.. so i need different points of view to understand what is correct and whats not..

Understood.

I often fly without GPS when doing indoor demos, using just the sensors and never have any problems. However, by the very fact I am flying indoors my height is limited!

i ve already seen it hitting the 50m height and distance limitations by accident.. app crashed midflight.. it was close to me.. and i saw its lights blinking red and green.. i then saw that app was crashed.. hit rth.. wanted to see its performance.. it came over its home and landed..

well.. i ve believed that with vps on the limitation was 8 meters as you said.. but.. it continued goin up.. till it couldnt see corectly underneath and switched in atti mode.. went up until 22m and stopped because of gusts.. i didnt want to overheat its escs or motors by tryin to overcorrecting it.. so.. ive landed it tryin to maintain position.. easy job as at below 17m there wasnt wind troubles.. i ve got it down very easily.. catched it and while i was tryin to take that thing off its gps receiver ive heard the sweet voice tellin that the home point was updated.. so.. i flew it again.. but with 17 sats this time..

Seems a little confusion has crept in here ....

Just because APP (GO) crashes does not mean the AC will default out ... the GPS factor is determined not by GO but by the AC FW and if the AC has GPS lock - it will perform as designed ...
The major factor other than the AC itself - is the Controller ... as long as Controller is still operating and the AC has its GPS lock - it will default to 50m all round and up.

I've had over the years odd flights where GO has just shut down ... so depending on where I am - I hit the Controllers RTH or let the AC hover and restart GO. Main point is to not panic !! As long as Controller is still operating and connected - all is not lost !

Reactions: LARA images

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl