New Home point after landing?

Reaction score
Hey all

Today went out to the field to experiment a bit and go over functions to see how they perform and practice a bit in atti mode.

I noticed something like this. I took off from home point.
And landed a bit far away in the field. Around 50 meters away.
Then i took off again.
And after a while when pressed rth, drone flew back to the place thats 50 meters away, not initial one.

So is that how it should be? That wherever it lands, it considers it as a new home point?
I didnt assign it myself to be the home point for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I never saw this documented by DJI, but I can confirm the same happens when I do that.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER and Oso
just curious and don't know the answer myself, but did you turn the motors off also, or just idling ? I don't know if this would make a difference.

I stopped and started the motors in my test.

If you stopped the motors and started them up again the RTH point gets reset. It's always that way. When you start the motors, that is your new home point. The voice should come on to confirm and you should see this message pop up on the screen as well.

Reactions: Oso
If you stopped the motors and started them up again the RTH point gets reset. It's always that way. When you start the motors, that is your new home point. The voice should come on to confirm and you should see this message pop up on the screen as well.
It's the same for me and it has always been that way as far as I know.

The behavior I normally expect is that when I land, stop the motors, and then start up the motors again the home point is set at that new location.
If I just land, keep the motors running, then launch again without ever stopping the motors - the home point stays in the original launch location.

The OP did not yet make it clear if he he stopped the motors after flying 50 meters away, but I would suspect that he did.

It's the same for me and it has always been that way as far as I know.

The behavior I normally expect is that when I land, stop the motors, and then start up the motors again the home point is set at that new location.
If I just land, keep the motors running, then launch again without ever stopping the motors - the home point stays in the original launch location.

The OP did not yet make it clear if he he stopped the motors after flying 50 meters away, but I would suspect that he did.
I think i did. What i was checking was that after landing far away, and pressing rth, would it take of and come back. It didnt. Rth did work at all. My mistake was that i stopped motors. Will try without stopping motors next time

Yes, I stopped the motors too. I was just doing exactly what the OP was trying to cam. I've never done it again wouldn't think of an occasion where I'd want/need too either TBH.

I never saw this documented by DJI, but I can confirm the same happens when I do that.
Yeah that makes sense. It seems the home point is set every takeoff, otherwise there would be some mysterious convoluted logic trying to figure out if a new HP should be set or not. IE: something like "must be on ground x minutes then replace home point." Or "If landing point is XX away from existing HP then set new HP."

So it means if you manually land somewhere and not turn off the motors - the H.Point remains original. But if you use Landing button to land, then you end up with new H.Point.

Hey all

Today went out to the field to experiment a bit and go over functions to see how they perform and practice a bit in atti mode.

I noticed something like this. I took off from home point.
And landed a bit far away in the field. Around 50 meters away.
Then i took off again.
And after a while when pressed rth, drone flew back to the place thats 50 meters away, not initial one.

So is that how it should be? That wherever it lands, it considers it as a new home point?
I didnt assign it myself to be the home point for sure.

Yes this is the way it should happen if you don't switch it off the bird completely. Keeping battery on will retain the home point.

If you restart the bird, it will find its new home.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes this is the way it should happen if you don't switch it off the bird completely. Keeping battery on will retain the home point.

If you restart the bird, it will find its new home.

You're just confusing people.

Motor start = save Home point.

Reactions: Tenly and Pharm
Mine has always done this. Anytime it's shut down and restarted, it sets a new home point. This is no different than shutting down and driving a mile away and restarting. If it's NOT shut down, I don't know. The few times I've landed and took off again without a shutdown/restart, I've never checked the home point, probably because I landed within a foot of where I took off.

And this is a drawback of using an iPad without a GPS in it, such as an iPad mini non cellular version.

If you have a device with a GPS, after takeoff you can reset the Home Point at any time to the device location very easily. One of the several reasons I ditched my iPad mini and got a nVidia Shield K1.

Mine has always done this. Anytime it's shut down and restarted, it sets a new home point. This is no different than shutting down and driving a mile away and restarting. If it's NOT shut down, I don't know. The few times I've landed and took off again without a shutdown/restart, I've never checked the home point, probably because I landed within a foot of where I took off.

Talking about "shutdowns" and "power offs" is unnecessary and adds confusion. The behavior can be summarized by the single rule that the home point is set when the motors are started! (You can't "start" them if they haven't been "stopped" so it's unnecessary to say.)

What you should try - is land the drone 50m away. Stop the motors. Then turn off the remote - triggering the lost connection failsafe. A year ago when I did this by accident - the drone started back up, took off and returned to the original home point. I'd be curious to know if any of the firmware updates since then have changed that behavior.

Last edited:
And this is a drawback of using an iPad without a GPS in it, such as an iPad mini non cellular version.

If you have a device with a GPS, after takeoff you can reset the Home Point at any time to the device location very easily. One of the several reasons I ditched my iPad mini and got a nVidia Shield K1.
While acknowledging this is a P3 sub-forum, the P2s can accomplish this from the controller with no mobile device required.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie