Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Xrover said:
I new you were CIA Ian.
I'll fly with you and shoot some video. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone! With my new travel schedule, I don't have much time this weekend. But I will be continuing my downtown LA filming if you want to see what it's like flying in the urban jungle!

ianwood said:
Xrover said:
I new you were CIA Ian.

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone! With my new travel schedule, I don't have much time this weekend. But I will be continuing my downtown LA filming if you want to see what it's like flying in the urban jungle!

Let me know when and where.

Hi,

I have a P2V+ and have this problem! I am in Brazil, magnetic declination -22! It is really a problem to fly in GPS mode!

Xrover said:
ianwood said:
Xrover said:
I new you were CIA Ian.

Let me know when and where.

Don't impersonate being CIA... they don't tell anyone when they are

DJI it's been 3 months and no fix !! Don't expect one for another couple months by that time the fix will be a new phantom 3 version.

Hey guys

I posted a little clip showing off my TBE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjH13uNmrI (P2V+ Mag Dec -23.5 New Zealand)

A viewer posted a response;
you got a bad compass, this happens when the phantom is looking for true north. I would check its readings on the software assistant. perhaps a basic calibration of the IMU. the phantom circles to get a better compass reading. the mod number should be between 1400 and 1600 on the raw compass data.

My mod number was around 1300. Re-calibrating the IMU had no effect. The same user suggested that I replace the compass. What do you think? Could this be a hardware issue on my Phantom?

Cheers

HacKiwi said:
The same user suggested that I replace the compass. What do you think? Could this be a hardware issue on my Phantom?

I think he's trying to be helpful... but it's not the compass. Your readings are identical to mine and others. Your P2 is behaving like any other P2 out of the box in NZ. Twist the compass to fix the TBE, and wait for DJI to release new firmware.

HacKiwi said:
Hey guys

My mod number was around 1300. Re-calibrating the IMU had no effect. The same user suggested that I replace the compass. What do you think? Could this be a hardware issue on my Phantom?

Cheers
Your hardware looks like it is fine. This is the compass issue that we are discussing in this thread. I'm in Waiuku (south of Auckalnd) and get the same effect (if not worse!) than you. It take a good 5-7mins for mine to settle down. While the toilet bowl hover settles, I always get a J-hook when I stop flying forwards.
Let's hope DJI release the fix soon.
By the way, that's a lovely spot you are flying in. Where is it?

Cheers,
Rob.

robby666111 said:
Your hardware looks like it is fine. This is the compass issue that we are discussing in this thread. I'm in Waiuku (south of Auckalnd) and get the same effect (if not worse!) than you. It take a good 5-7mins for mine to settle down. While the toilet bowl hover settles, I always get a J-hook when I stop flying forwards.
Let's hope DJI release the fix soon.
By the way, that's a lovely spot you are flying in. Where is it?
Cheers,
Rob.

Thanks guys. I assumed it was this issue. Had a look at rotating the compass this afternoon but think I'll just wait for the fix.. unless you have some advice on how to do it? I'm concerned i'll damage the compass or it will work loose in flight.

Rob - It's Castle Hill, about an hour West of Christchurch. Great spot. Will have to go back out to get some close-ups of the rocks and climbers once I improve my piloting skills. One of the 'Chronicles of Narnia' films was shot there. Here's a couple other bits from last weekend;
http://www.360cities.net/image/castle-h ... e-panorama
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5502/143 ... a51a_o.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9VecOIYe4

HacKiwi said:
Thanks guys. I assumed it was this issue. Had a look at rotating the compass this afternoon but think I'll just wait for the fix.. unless you have some advice on how to do it? I'm concerned i'll damage the compass or it will work loose in flight

Nah mate - it's easy as. Just loosen 4 screws (about 3 turns each) and twist as shown in JPG. Tighten screws and you'll have no TBE - still get the j-hook though.

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 531
BigBadFun said:
Nah mate - it's easy as. Just loosen 4 screws (about 3 turns each) and twist as shown in JPG. Tighten screws and you'll have no TBE - still get the j-hook though.
I'll try this. Although the TBE doesn't really worry me as much as the J-hook. Thanks!

Hi,

I live in an area of 15deg dec and found rotating the compass does indeed correct for tracking, TBE, and the dreaded J-Hooking.
I found you need to rotate the compass about twice, at least in my area of the northeast US, the dec in the opposite direction of the TBE.

Tom

Ditto. Located in 14 degrees 2 minutes. Rotated compass clockwise (as viewed from above) 2x that amount. Hover after takeoff is bomber solid. Very, very slight TBE on occasion. Also noticed near the end of last of four batteries yesterday that TBE was worse at end of flight than throughout flight. Same CCW direction, which kind of surprised me. In any case, far better off rotated 2x while waiting for the white puff of smoke (and firmware) from the Vatican.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Ditto. Located in 14 degrees 2 minutes. Rotated compass clockwise (as viewed from above) 2x that amount. Hover after takeoff is bomber solid. Very, very slight TBE on occasion. Also noticed near the end of last of four batteries yesterday that TBE was worse at end of flight than throughout flight. Same CCW direction, which kind of surprised me. In any case, far better off rotated 2x while waiting for the white puff of smoke (and firmware) from the Vatican.

Kelly

Rotating the compass is a great temporary fix.. But then when the naza starts correcting itself, it creates more problems, by over correcting.. It also causes some weird J hooks.. As in fly in one direction, and you get a left hook.. Turn the copter around and fly back, and you get a right hook.. But it works wonders on the TBE, and thus makes the copter a lot easier to control.. I don't worry too much about the over-compensating, as most of my flights are 5 min. or less anyways, so I want the problems corrected now; thus, the technique works fine for me.. Mine's rotated 30 degrees (IE: sits on the corner edge of the leg..) It's actually hard to rotate less than that, as the compass wants to slip back to the factory set position.. I secure it with a bit of latex silicone. I've rotated the compass on my PV2, but on my 2+, I've decided to wait for the fix..

Mine has all of the usual symptoms, but i also can't fly straight. Instead of straight, it pulls slightly left. In order to go straight forward, i have to aim at about the 1 o'clock point on the stick. Also, once they TBE stops and i am hovering in one spot, if i then spin it in another direction, it will drift in the direction I am trying to spin.

Is this all part of the same problem?
I should mention when i plug it into the software assistant I get Compass Err - please restart the controller. Does anyone else get that error?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164