Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Landy said:
Andy T said:
Landy said:
Yip,I'm experiencing the exact same drift here in South Africa as described in the forum discussion. Got my Phantom 2 a couple of weeks ago and experienced the drifting from the start and as it was my first drone I thought it was "normal" but did think the fact that home lock let it fly from front left to the right but over my head despite my regular compass calibration procedures, a bit odd. I also started to experience a new problem in that even in a hover it has happened 4 times now that it all of a sudden starts swaying violently from left to right until it eventually just falls to the ground with no control through the transmitter, and it was in my attempt to research this issue that Jacky from Helipal directed me to this forum . Wonder if this could also relate to a compass problem.
That home lock is kind of a strange thing. I think it only works if you are over 10 meters away from your home point. If you reenter the 10 meter zone while in home lock it switches itself to course lock and stays there and is very disorienting

Interesting..Thanks.I'll try that because I was standing within no more than 5 meters from where I took off
Maybe i worded that wrong. What I meant is the craft has to be further than 10 meters from its home point for home lock to work. if it reenters that 10 meter zone it switches itself to course lock. At least I think that is how it works

I am in Vancouver British Columbia and am running Version 2.0 on my Phantom 2 Plus and I am encountering the same problems with "toilet bowl" after launching and "J Hook" and the course lock problem. Like you say after 4-5 min of flight it clears up.
I really don't want to lose Version 2.0 due to the slowing down of dropping altitude and DJI slowing it down in Version 3 but what can you do I guess. I would like to have this cleared up.

Please add me to your list of people affected by this problem.

Jason

Andy T said:
Maybe i worded that wrong. What I meant is the craft has to be further than 10 meters from its home point for home lock to work. if it reenters that 10 meter zone it switches itself to course lock. At least I think that is how it works
Yep, it switches to course lock and stays there until you manually flip the switch again (even if you fly back out past 10m).

any news about the release of firmware 3.05?

Flying in the Seattle area - declinatino 16.5 deg. Having the exact problem. It does seem to improve the longer the flight, but very unpredictable. Thanks Ian and all for the work. I'm looking forward to firmware upgrade. Flying a P2V+.

Ron

KassioLM said:

If the majority say it works, they should release it.. Hell, anything is better than trying to contend with the J hook, TBE flying conditions now.. They should release it, then tweak up whatever problems arise in the course of usage..

obiwan_pierogi said:
KassioLM said:

If the majority say it works, they should release it.. Hell, anything is better than trying to contend with the J hook, TBE flying conditions now.. They should release it, then tweak up whatever problems arise in the course of usage..

I totally get the anticipation here, but generally releasing a first-rev firmware that hasn't been thoroughly tested can be disastrous, especially for a flying machine. Unforeseen impacts may not just be minor tweaks. I think it benefits everyone for DJI to be extremely thorough about the effectiveness and impact of this fix, so people get the best possible, most stable solution they deserve. This may mean it could take several weeks if DJI needs to analyze data, make tweaks, send out to beta testers again or expand the beta pool moving forward...It's so imminent right now, why not push them to do it right down the homestretch?

ElGuano said:
obiwan_pierogi said:
KassioLM said:

I totally get the anticipation here, but generally releasing a first-rev firmware that hasn't been thoroughly tested can be disastrous, especially for a flying machine. Unforeseen impacts may not just be minor tweaks. I think it benefits everyone for DJI to be extremely thorough about the effectiveness and impact of this fix, so people get the best possible, most stable solution they deserve. This may mean it could take several weeks if DJI needs to analyze data, make tweaks, send out to beta testers again or expand the beta pool moving forward...It's so imminent right now, why not push them to do it right down the homestretch?

I totally agree.
I have been involved in some major software programs and as they get more complex and it gets easier and easier to get unintended consequences from a minor tweak. DJI can rush a fix to the testers because the liability is limited but for a general release they need to take a reasonable amount of time to be sure it doesn't have shocking surprises. But I too am eager to get the update.

ElGuano said:
obiwan_pierogi said:
KassioLM said:

I just got a new PV2+ ... I'm almost afraid to fly it, as it is that uncontrollable.. I don't think you can get anything more disastrous than this from DJI.. Any upgrade would be an improvement.. As I told the dealer: had I not had some experience with the PV2, I would probably have crashed it on the first flight.. As Of now, I'm trying to get in a few flights anyways, as the dealer only has a 20 day refund.. So I at least have to check to make sure it is operational, even if it flies crappy. They could release what they have, but then keep working to come up with an all encompassing upgrade that fixes all the problems

fly close and careful and wait till the end of your battery and see how it flies then. thats how it will fly when they fix the issue. that should also make you not so worried

I wouldn't get my hopes up to see the fix out soon . I bet it will take 1 and a half months. DJI has version 3.05 and they should release it to the general public and make any tweaks to the 3.05 as needed if needed.
DJI has done this with all their other firmwares so this current fix is no different. Lastly it's not going to be a perfect fix and the phantom will never fly perfectly ... It's a "Toy" . Everyone in the past has been ginny pigs to the firmwares that DJI releases so again DJI release the firmware.

Hi had the opportunity to compare a P2V and a P2V+ today.
Both exhibit exactly the same issue. Being in Auckland NZ, the magnetic declination here is +19.5°, so pretty bad. One thing I noticed is that in hover (once the system had settled down) I was getting a very slow yaw movement. I wonder if this is the same issue?
Finally, I noticed that if I ran initially for a couple of minutes, then landed and ran a compass calibration (without ever cycling power) the J-hook settled down quite quickly after this calibration?
Certainly this issue won't stop me from flying. It's not really a big deal once you are used to it and know what to expect. You can even compensate for it with a short right roll.
That said, it will be good when DJI release an update to address this.
Cheers.
Rob.

Results from the 3.05 beta test flight. The first back and forth is the biggest one and you can see a little curve at the end. It's much much smaller than normally and doesn't swirl at all. The second, third and fourth pass are pretty much arrow straight as you can see.

305beta-test-1-750.jpg

ianwood said:
Results from the 3.05 beta test flight. The first back and forth is the biggest one and you can see a little curve at the end. It's much much smaller than normally and doesn't swirl at all. The second, third and fourth pass are pretty much arrow straight as you can see.

305beta-test-1-750.jpg

Ian what app are you using to put your flight on google earth like that?!?

ianwood said:
Ian,

What happened on the next flight? Did it remember what it learned on this one or did it repeat the first circuit offset behavior?

I don't know. I'll tell you tomorrow. But, it doesn't need to remember anything given that it flies straight pretty much right away. Look at the image you'll see it's even more straight then when I flew in Chicago.

As for Google Earth data, I take the raw CAN bus data files from the OSDII and parse them with an excessively complicated script I wrote. It outputs CSV of all the known data types and then KML for Google Earth. Working on a Dashware export as well.

I new you were CIA Ian.
I'll fly with you and shoot some video. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews