Fix no video feed / black screen / no image transmission / no FPV on Ph3 Pro

about the yaw arm and camera off center. The set screw is supposed to tighten on the flat side of the yaw motor. Even when I changed the motor, with a known good one that was pointing the camera straight in another gimbal, it pointed to the left (right, looking at the drone). No one has been able to explain to me what controls this (direction of the camera) or why it will get off center (usually occurring after a collision). Any insigt on this issue?

for Ph3 yaw arm, MLX90316 on Gimbal Top Board is the position sensor. It is magnetic in nature, but it in not Hall effect sensor.
I never had any issues with this part.

jiminyfixit, seller on ebay, claims that the small black module, on circuit board near magnet on yar motor arm, is a hall sensor. I would not have a clue, myself.

So he's mostly correct.

And, I cannot find anything about DUML Protocal. Yes, I was plugging into the micro usb on the gimbal and, it was making the camera go limp, with exception of the very slow downward movement of the camera via pitch motor. Did this twice with same resuld.

Here's a good first read in regard to DUML:
Github - DJI Drone internals overview

Reactions: HarveyMS
Hi I had the same problem with no video feedback I tried everythink with no luck the I put the camera on record for half an hour and now it is working fine

Would any of you more skilled repair people be interested in trying to fix my gimbal top board? I am getting the 8/15 error as well. PM me and we could discuss price.

Does the gimbal light do anything?
Yes. It comes on. I am getting the 15/8 error on mine. Black screen on the GoPro App, but the gimbal controls work.

Yes. It comes on. I am getting the 15/8 error on mine. Black screen on the GoPro App, but the gimbal controls work.
Yes, this does happen after long periods of time of not being powered on and also from firmware updates in which the top gimbal board gets overheated. Rule of thumb, Always use a small cooling fan pointing at the gimbal while doing any updates or while the drone is powered on at idle without the props on for an extended period of time.

Reactions: terrylowe
Here is the diagram for diagnosing and fixing the most popular issue with Phantom 3 Professional.
The solution will also work fine for Ph3 Advanced (though some branches are unreachable on this platform).

The diagram is oriented towards users who do not have a second drone to interchange parts, or advanced equipment. The use of such items is delayed in the graph as much as possible, though it is unavoidable at some point. A repair shop would use different approach, testing components by replacing them with known good ones as one of first steps.

Video Feed Service Diagram:
full

Here is the graph for fixing DaVinci media processor, referenced in Video Feed Service Diagram.
If any of the instructions is too vague for you, check the links below the diagram - they contain more detailed explanations for specific actions.

DaVinci Chip Service Diagram:
full

Beginner level instruction on re-flashing bootloader on NAND for DaVinci processor in gimbal:
No image transmission signal - P3P - SunsetCatcher's guide

Beginner level instruction on diagnosing and re-flashing partitions on NAND for DaVinci processor in RC:
Fixing flash programming in DM365 chip within GL300 remote controller

Generic guide on flashing all partitions on NAND for DaVinci processor:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools Wiki: Flashing firmware on DaVinci media processors

Replacing NAND chip for DaVinci processor:
Fixing flash in DM365 chip within Ph3 Pro gimbal

I can't remember all of RC diagnosis, so it's done only partially on the chart.

If I missed any typical cause, or you think something should be different - please write.
Same if you're stuck in a step and no answers match what you see.

I hope this will be the place to direct anyone with this kind of issue.

Links to more info below.

Simple drawing of the connections within the drone where video signal travels:
Video transmission overview in Ph3 Pro/Adv

Detailed explanation of retrieving the `/MISC/LOG/P3?_FW_LOG_AB.txt`:
What is and how to get LOG_AB file

Description of firmware modules, which chip they program and which board they're on:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools Wiki: Dji Firmwares

Board descriptions, useful for component level repairs:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools Wiki: Dji Hardware
Thank you that was awesome .for somebody to care enough to write that cool very smart too.

Does any body have a Video tutorial on how to fix the Video Feed Malfuncion on a DJI Phantom 3 Pro or Advance with file and adrinoo board requiered and Voltagage thanks i advance

I could use some help with my journey to restore my p3p from a bad customized bin that broke the flight controller. I learned that there is no way to restore a flight controller once it is nuked with a bad flash. So, to the bone yard (ebay) and salvaged a few FCs and Mainboard.

I believe my flight controller issue has been solved. However I still have some issues with the communication to the gimbal board and FC. Some might be related to firmware mismatches and/or other issues that I cannot seem to fix.

I have two camera gimbals that I have been trying to make work. Lets call them gimbal 1 and gimbal 2

Gimbal 1 will display an image however shows a camera error shows in the app. I does not read any firmware bin on the SD card. Cannot format the SD card within the app (times out). I believe the software on this gimbal came from P3X_FW_V01.06.0040. Not sure what is on the new FC as the app does not show it. I can assume it is much hire and most likely v 1.11. All flash attempts do not work. LED lights do not blink red/green. No log file is written. I’m stumped, but encouraged because I get a live transmitted image. I haven’t replaced cables, but they look good and have been reset many times.

Gimbal 2 had the infamous 008/0015 error shown in the logs. It had been sitting on my shelf for years. As I have been down this route before, I reflashed the Nand. Putty output attached. As before, I thought I was on my way to success. However, I still do not have image. Any attempt to flash, just reboots to the quick blinking green led lights. It appears to start firmware flashing (red and green alternate led lights) but then starts to blink green. In the app I get a gimbal not connected error and no camera icon. I read this is an issue with the Ambarella chip. I have tried booting without an SD card, and reflashing the Nand, no success.

So, I have two broken gimbals and out of solutions to get the bird back in the air.

Incidentally, all bench testing has been done with the mainboard soldered to the P3P power leads but all motors and light wires and compass disconnected. I wouldn’t think this iwas an issue, but wanted to ask those who have been down this road.

The end goal is to have a working P3P with the unencrypted version P3X_FW_V01.07.0060 working.

Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks, John.

Attachments

• gimbalboot.txt
    169.6 KB · Views: 138
just reboots to the quick blinking green led lights. It appears to start firmware flashing (red and green alternate led lights) but then starts to blink green. In the app I get a gimbal not connected error and no camera icon. I read this is an issue with the Ambarella chip. I have tried booting without an SD card, and reflashing the Nand, no success.
You are correct, the Ambarella chip is causing the problem with gimbal #2.
Gimbal #1, normally you would think Ambarella issue also because it’s not reading the sd card, but, it’s showing video transmission. I had one a few months ago with the same issue. The problem mine had was, the flat lockdown tab for the black flat film cable inside the camera head was partially out of place. Just casually looking at it, it looked normal. A closer look, I could see it was slightly misaligned.
Maybe swap the gimbal assembly from gimbal board # 2 to the gimbal board of #1 to see if there’s any difference.

Gimbal 2 had the infamous 008/0015 error shown in the logs. [...] As I have been down this route before, I reflashed the Nand.
No you didn't. You only reflashed a bootloader, which is circa 300kb out of 128Mb stored on the NAND.

Check my "DAVINCI DIAGNOSIS" spoiler from first post.
The most comprehensive instruction I made for flashing DaVinci is the one about GL300a RC. Make sure to read it.
It will tell you how to spot relevant messages within log. That should be enough info to fix your DaVinci issue.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I very much appreciate the guidance.

I now see the primary Kernel did not load. I will attempt using ExtraPutty (also new to me) to flash the primary Kernel as outlined in your guide. At this point I do not recognize any other errors.

I'm assuming the uImage is what I need to upload with ExtraPutty - to fix the primary Kernel.

Is the uImage for the Gl300 the same? or do I need to create a uImage from the extracted M0800.bin (gimbal top board)? What tool is used to create a uImage?

As for my other gimbal unit that has a working video transmission but no access to the sd card - If I cannot find any issue with cables, should I connect to the serial ports and see what is being transmitted as a next step, or something else? Thanks again.

Is the uImage for the Gl300 the same? or do I need to create a uImage from the extracted M0800.bin (gimbal top board)?
You should get uImage from which is designated for Gimbal Top Board. I don't know whether it contains any modifications specific to that board, but since the correct one is easily available, there is no reason for frankensteining it.

As for my other gimbal unit that has a working video transmission but no access to the sd card - If I cannot find any issue with cables, should I connect to the serial ports and see what is being transmitted as a next step, or something else?

Ambarella is booting, so we know what we'll see there. All chips are booting properly.
For analogy, if your computer is starting, but it can't read a pendrive, where do you expect the issue?
It's possible that USB driver on motherboard got fried, but it's more likely that either a cable, a connector or your pendrive is bad.

Same with Ambarella. It has SD-card controller inside and it could be fried, but it's far more likely that sd-card slot is damaged. Or your card.

Last edited:
You should get uImage from which is designated for Gimbal Top Board. I don't know whether it contains any modifications specific to that board, but since the correct one is easily available, there is no reason for frankensteining it.

Ambarella is booting, so we know what we'll see there. All chips are booting properly.
For analogy, if your computer is starting, but it can't read a pendrive, where do you expect the issue?
It's possible that USB driver on motherboard got fried, but it's more likely that either a cable, a connector or your pendrive is bad.

Same with Ambarella. It has SD-card controller inside and it could be fried, but it's far more likely that sd-card slot is damaged. Or your card.
still having issues locating the top board uImage file. I have only found the uImage-recovery.

I like the computer analogy. What throws me off is the folders are written to the card when inserted but not other read or write ability. So that makes me believe the sd slot is not broken. I'll keep looking for a fix. thanks again.

still having issues locating the top board uImage file

Just run the commands.
Using console tools is crucial if you want to be a conscious user of any computers.

Code:
./dji_fwcon.py -vv -x -p P3X_FW_V01.07.0060.bin
openssl des3 -md md5 -d -k Dji123456 -in P3X_FW_V01.07.0060_m0800.bin -out P3X_FW_V01.07.0060_m0800_decrypted.tar.gz
tar -zxf P3X_FW_V01.07.0060_m0800_decrypted.tar.gz

Still plugging along. I was able to flash the uImage and verify the primary kernel is booting (putty file attached). However, I still have the same issues. No transmitted image, blinking green led, can't complete a firmware update. I also notice it takes longer to shut the bird down after pressing the battery button (battery blinks red for an extended amount of time compared to when my other gimbal is attached). Also noticed I do not have a camera controls in the ios app. Perhaps I'm at the end of the flow chart but still holding out for a fix.
============================================
As for my other camera/gimbal. I have not found any problems with the cables. I have checked and reset all cables multiple times. I have tried 3 different sd cards. This camera unit was working perfectly before taking the firmware down to 1.06 and then nuking the FC with a modified 1.07 that was stupidly not verified to be a bin file. The ios app shows a video image but gives a camera error. It will not format the sd card in the app. The camera picture taking and video buttons are unresponsive. Firmware updates will not start. However when inserting a blank sd card, after powering the bird on and off, the SD card has the dji file folders written on the card. I have to think it is a software issue, not hardware since there is still communication between the board and the SD card (how else would the file folders be written).

My question is, since I currently cannot flash via the sd card, is it possible to reflash the top board (over the serial ports and using Extraputty) with an updated version of all modules needed to bring the top board up to date? If so, how would this be done? Similar to flashing the uImage? Using the computer analogy, I want to re-install the operating system and all drivers via the serial connection.

Attachments

• afteruImage.txt
    89.2 KB · Views: 120
Using the computer analogy, I want to re-install the operating system and all drivers via the serial connection.
Using that analogy, you have a little LAN within the drone, not a single computer. You only re-flashed DaVinci DM365; that chip is connected to Ambarella A9 on one side, and to Cypress 68013 on the other. Each of these modules works independently, though they are all required to display the video.
Some details here:

since I currently cannot flash via the sd card, is it possible to reflash the top board (over the serial ports and using Extraputty) with an updated version of all modules needed to bring the top board up to date?
There are several programmable devices on this board:
O-Gs wiki: Gimbal top board programming

Besides DaVinci, only Ambarella takes part in video pipeline.
Since these are chips from different manufacturers, flashing methods also differ a bit. In general, you find out how to flash a chip by reading its documentation, "programming reference" or something similar.

Back to your issue, looking at the log you provided it is clear the board couldn't connect to Cypress:
Code:
usblink status check~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GetFPGAstatus err!!
inptVD=0547
No USB device ID:547
try reset 68013....!
It would be unusual for Cypress to get damaged or de-programmed (and you said you already tested that part). So unless these logs were created with the board purposely disconnected, you should make sure physical connection of DaVinci to OFDM board has continuity.

If you want to also check Ambarella - start by getting its logs; it has UART console as well, only at different pins. I never had damaged Ambarella, so can't tell much more. People reflash Ambarella using 'AmbaUSB' tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic