Fix no video feed / black screen / no image transmission / no FPV on Ph3 Pro

Tony, from what I can find there is no simple fix just a return to dji for a €160 +€60 labour charge for a repair which their Firmware seems to be the root cause of.

If you have done a recent FW update and have lost video to your mobile device, look in the hidden files, see if 0800 device not detected appears, likewise for 1500, if so dji are happy to tell you it is an air encoder issue and where to send it for a repair. And guide you to cost of repair !

I was in chat with tech spt this morning, asked why they STILL, have a Fw update with KNOWN flaws all I got back was " Sorry about the issue"

If these guys were motor vehicle manufacturers they would be legally obliged to, 1 prevent any further downloads until the problem is resolved, 2 recall any affected craft,3 reimburse any costs to previous repair rectified owners.

They have in a nutshell got by the balls.

If I were to write a piece of software that I found caused issues I would remove it from the public domain until I knew it was stable. Not continue to let people download and ruin more craft for 2 years.
Thank you

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Guys it's not the firmware, the firmware (all versions) work just fine. It's the dam chips on the top gimbal board (8/15) that just don't play well, they lose whats written to them and often refuse to have it rewritten which is why everyone blames firmware but its not. If the gimbal board containing the 8/15 is working normally any FW update will succeed and not cause issues.

I was able to fix my board with the information from a post on this site, I will post a link in the morning when I get to my work pc. It is not something everyone can do but if your a technical person or know some one who is that could help. It will not fix a board if the chip is bad so it is not a guaranteed fix. If you are close to me I would do it for you I am in northern Indiana.

Reactions: 3rdof5
[QUOTE = "Johnny Phantom, post: 1402825, membro: 115682"] Sono riuscito a sistemare la mia scheda con le informazioni di un post su questo sito, pubblicherò un link al mattino quando arrivo al mio pc di lavoro. Non è qualcosa che tutti possono fare, ma se sei una persona tecnica o conosci qualcuno che potrebbe aiutarti. Non aggiusterà una scheda se il chip è cattivo, quindi non è una correzione garantita. Se sei vicino a me, lo farei per te, io sono nel nord dell'Indiana. [/ QUOTE]
per favore, puoi caricare il link?

The 0800 and 1500 are the modules that show "device not detected" in the FW update log text file. It's always those 2 modules that have issues when the FPV quits. There are fixes if you want to reprogram them directly. I've never done it tho.
When you have the 0800 and 1500 device not detected issue do you just have to flash the board or do you have to replace a component on the board?

When you have the 0800 and 1500 device not detected issue do you just have to flash the board or do you have to replace a component on the board?

See "Spoiler: DaVinci diagnosis diagram and links" in the first post.
Short answer: it varies.

quaddamage New hear but have to say great trouble shooting diagram and thanks. Of course, I am hoping that you can also assist me. I have a Phantom 3 Pro, 4k. I get the no video transmission signal. I get pics and videos to SD Card that are of OK quality. I have tried two earlier versions of firmware. Earliest version would not create log. So, I tried a mid version, 1.05.? and it simply created a log that the firmware currently installed does not allow a downgrade and the firmware I am trying to install is older or the same version as that currently installed. When we come to this on your trouble shooting guide, it says to start over, that I must have done something wrong. Any insight where to head from here since the latest firmware prevents earlier versions from initiating? Thanks,

I tried a mid version, 1.05.? and it simply created a log that the firmware currently installed does not allow a downgrade and the firmware I am trying to install is older or the same version as that currently installed.

Can you share the whole log?
Are you sure you're looking at the _AB log?

Can you share the whole log?
Are you sure you're looking at the _AB log?
Well, I've deleted it now. It was the only text file. When I install the SD with the bin file only, I remove it and there is then a text file, a DCIM file (empty) and the original bin file. So, I figured the text file was the only log, correct or no? Edit: Did go back to SD and made sure hidden files would show. Found Misc. and in it Log (with IDX, THM and XCODE, non of which will open to allow me to read anything). Opening the LOG file and there is nothing there, empty.

Last edited:
I don't think I can help you, then.

I also don't think it is possible for this file to be empty, unless there was a card write error or power failure.
Thanks for your prompt and courteous responses and willingness to assist. If I try it again and find anything I'll let you know. Thanks again,

Reactions: JoBe
Well, I've deleted it now. It was the only text file. When I install the SD with the bin file only, I remove it and there is then a text file, a DCIM file (empty) and the original bin file. So, I figured the text file was the only log, correct or no? Edit: Did go back to SD and made sure hidden files would show. Found Misc. and in it Log (with IDX, THM and XCODE, non of which will open to allow me to read anything). Opening the LOG file and there is nothing there, empty.
Are you following the LOG_AB link in post #1 of this thread? If not, I pasted it below. FYI - we’ve seen numerous people say there is no LOG_AB file until they read that post and then suddenly they have a LOG_AB file. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Think so. Pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_0705[1].JPG
    IMG_0705[1].JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 365
Are you following the LOG_AB link in post #1 of this thread?
Think so. Pic below.
So are you saying that yes, you’ve followed all that it said in that link? Even this part:

NOTE: The LOG_AB file is written by your AC and will remain on your SD card until you format the card. If you are showing hidden files and still do not see a file named exactly as above, you have likely deleted the LOG_AB file with an SD card formatting. You will need to get your AC to write the file again. What we routinely tell people is to put a very old FW .bin file alone in the root of the SD card. It should be older than your current AC FW so that it is sure to fail when you start up your AC. Your AC will write the LOG_AB file again and you should be able to see it.

Yes. It has created those file folders but there is nothing in them. . . I did it twice but will try again later with the earlier version, again.

Got it guys, thanks. When I unzipped the archived firmware file I downloaded and then transferred the bin file to the SD, it created a whole new file that it put the bin in with others. So, drone wasn't reading the bin file. I have a 0800 and 1500 device not detected. I figured it about the gimbal top board, but not the OFDM. Work to do. Thanks, again, for your help.

This is a little off topic, as far as black screen. Has anyone ever tried, of came up with a way to communicate with the gimbal via the micro USB port (Phantom 3)? I plugged mine into my computer without an SD card in the gimbal. The camera went limp, pretty much. I say, pretty much, because the pitch motor very slowly, and in small increments, turned the camera all the way to the down position. I have the problem with the camera being off center and pointing to the left, or right. Someone recently said that there is a module on the gimbal board that is calibrated by DJI at the factory that controls this. Surely, DJI communicates with it and programs it via that micro USB port. . . Anyway, many smarter and more educated than I will maybe figure it out. Thanks.

Has anyone ever tried, of came up with a way to communicate with the gimbal via the micro USB port (Phantom 3)?

Yes. The question is - what do you want to achieve. All communications within DJI drones are based on DUML protocol.

I plugged mine into my computer without an SD card in the gimbal. The camera went limp, pretty much. I say, pretty much, because the pitch motor very slowly, and in small increments, turned the camera all the way to the down position.

So you mean micro-USB in the gimbal? It gives connection to Ambarella. The same chip which controls SD-card. I don't think this can affect gimbal, not sure what happened in your case.

I have the problem with the camera being off center and pointing to the left, or right.

In Ph3s, this is usually caused by loose screw in the yaw arm.

Someone recently said that there is a module on the gimbal board that is calibrated by DJI at the factory that controls this.

Yes and no. This specific arm in this specific drone should be calibrated by just tightening the screw when arm is in proper position. Also, Ph3s don't use Hall sensors in the way newer drones do. I'm not sure if calibration is even needed when the arm position sensor is just a potentiometer; replacing potentiometer won't cause a need for calibration.

Surely, DJI communicates with it and programs it via that micro USB port. . .

Actually, no. While we are not sure what software DJI uses for calibration, this USB is a link to Ambarella, not gimbal. If they have any tools for dealing with already assembled drone (emphasis on IF), they're based on the DUML protocol and they connect the PC via front USB.

Yes. The question is - what do you want to achieve. All communications within DJI drones are based on DUl.ML protoco

So you mean micro-USB in the gimbal? It gives connection to Ambarella. The same chip which controls SD-card. I don't think this can affect gimbal, not sure what happened in your case.

In Ph3s, this is usually caused by loose screw in the yaw arm.

Yes and no. This specific arm in this specific drone should be calibrated by just tightening the screw when arm is in proper position. Also, Ph3s don't use Hall sensors in the way newer drones do. I'm not sure if calibration is even needed when the arm position sensor is just a potentiometer; replacing potentiometer won't cause a need for calibration.

Actually, no. While we are not sure what software DJI uses for calibration, this USB is a link to Ambarella, not gimbal. If they have any tools for dealing with already assembled drone (emphasis on IF), they're based on the DUML protocol and they connect the PC via front USB.
Wow, thanks for the resopnse and info. Well, about the yaw arm and camera off center. The set screw is supposed to tighten on the flat side of the yaw motor. Even when I changed the motor, with a known good one that was pointing the camera straight in another gimbal, it pointed to the left (right, looking at the drone). No one has been able to explain to me what controls this (direction of the camera) or why it will get off center (usually occurring after a collision). Any insigt on this issue? jiminyfixit, seller on ebay, claims that the small black module, on circuit board near magnet on yar motor arm, is a hall sensor. I would not have a clue, myself.

And, I cannot find anything about DUML Protocal. Yes, I was plugging into the micro usb on the gimbal and, it was making the camera go limp, with exception of the very slow downward movement of the camera via pitch motor. Did this twice with same resuld.

Again, thanks for your input.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj