Finally got 4k with DashWare overlay

Reaction score
I figured out a work around for DashWare not supporting 4k.

The video is boring but it shows a 1080p DashWare overlay on top of 4k:

Nice of you to level of the horizon before heading out. Seen so many videos of folks not taking the time to level off manually. Hope DJI can fix this so we don't have to manually adjust for each flight. Now are you going to tell us what the workaround is or keep it to yourself?

Now are you going to tell us what the workaround is or keep it to yourself?

Yeah that'd be good...

I imported a 1080p green screen (generated from Final Cut) into DashWare. I then rendered the gauge on the green screen from DashWare.

The green+gauge gets put on top of the 4k in Final Cut and the green gets composited out. You see the result.

The gauge is stretched 4x (as 4k is 4x1080) which is why it's soft.. But it would be just as easy to leave it 1/2 height and it would be sharp.

With that particular gauge style I though it more important that it fill the right side than be perfectly sharp.

Yeah that'd be good...

I imported a 1080p green screen (generated from Final Cut) into DashWare. I then rendered the gauge on the green screen from DashWare.

The green+gauge gets put on top of the 4k in Final Cut and the green gets composited out. You see the result.

The gauge is stretched 4x (as 4k is 4x1080) which is why it's soft.. But it would be just as easy to leave it 1/2 height and it would be sharp.

With that particular gauge style I though it more important that it fill the right side than be perfectly sharp.
Ebfoxbat, do you still do it this way? I have all these nice 4K videos which are completely unusable in Dashware. Can you tell me more precisely what you do in Final Cut? I have never used it...

The novelty of having a telemetry overlay on my videos wore off so I rarely do it. But it should still work.

Walking you through the process in any given program is too much for here, this is the principal.

Take the length of your flight video, hypothetically we'll say it's 10 minutes long, make a video (I used Final Cut for this) that same length, but only 1080p. That video will do nothing but be a solid green video.

Take the 10 minute, 1080p, green video and use that in Dashware. Use your real flights telemetry file to make the gauges on top of the green video. Keep in mind that you'll likely be stretching the gauges 2x on both axis later on, so graphically intensive gauges will look pretty mushy.

Export your video for Dashware. You'll now have a 10 minute, 1080p video that's nothing but green and gauges.

In Final Cut (or whatever video editing software you use) take your real flight video and put it under your green gauge video. Use the green-screen feature of your video ending app to subtract the green. This will leave your gauges visible on top of your flight video.

You can stretch the green video from 1080p to 4K if you want. Or you can leave them as they are (1/4 scale). The smaller version will be sharper.

Once you learn the basic workflow it's not too hard. I kept re-using the same 20 minute green video source in Dashware. If you design your gauges 4x the size you want them in Dadhware, then you can overlay them at 1/4 on your 4K to keep them 1:1 pixel scale.

Reactions: nhoover
Thanks ebfoxbat. Isn't Final Cut a Mac OS X only app, while Dashware is PC only? Or do you run virtual machines?

So, is altitude all that Dashware shows on screen? I get that already read out loud in Litchi.
Thanks for posting the video.
Jim
WA5TEF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav