Finally broke it...

Reaction score
After about 120 uneventful flights over a couple of years, I finally fulfilled the 2312/ESC prophecy on my P2V+ v3.

Routine Ground Station mission. Threaded its way between the trees in my back yard to the lake and then down the shore. Nice Minnesota summer evening. The mission went great...it went to the last waypoint and hovered at which time I opted to finish via RTH. It made its way the 100 feet or so to Home and started descending normally to land. It missed the board that I had out by about 3 feet, set down in the grass, tipped over and stalled the left rear motor for about 5 seconds. No prop damage but on restart it demonstrated the jerks and wouldn't spin up fully. Hand spinning the motor yielded some grinding so I figured it was the motor. I ordered a new one from Amazon for $18, and while I was at it, ordered a new ESC for $20.

Replacing the motor was no big deal. The motor wires weren't melted and my version 2.0 ESC on that arm wasn't burned or fried. But when I fired it up, the new motor still stuttered. So I replaced the ESC with the version 2.1 ESC from Amazon and then the whole thing fired up normally. I recalibrated the IMU and now the thing is flying normally, none the worse for wear except for the spot when I melted a little chunk out of the frame with a careless soldering iron.

Live and learn. I was looking for the final reason to move up to the Phantom 4, but looks like the ol' Phantom 2 still has some life in her.

Bastille have my two Phantom two and flying strong after two years. If it a it broke don fix it is the saying and no need to move up to a new model when the ole gal does everything just fine.no big deal from me from 1080p no needing 4 k. Even though I have a 4 k TV just not that much for viewing out there and 1080 looks great.

Yep, the P2V+ seems to be a pretty reliable, and repairable, bird. I've flown mine for 2¼ years now. Repairs, all due to crashes, include new camera unit, new body, and new GPS unit. Oh, and several sets of props. One battery went bad on me. Caused the quad to do emergency land in the middle of a soybean field. Took quite a while to find it! I'd like to get a "newest" model some day, but can't justify it yet.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20