Favorite GPS tracker for DJI?

Reaction score
I have been using a Trackimo 2g. Seems to be working fine. (Atlanta GA) area. However it is an older model and wondering if a 3g model? Or is another tracker, better. I have a Phantom 3 and am thinking about buying a Mavic Pro.

Suggestions for the best tracking device??

Thanks,
Bill

Here's a list of the trackers most commonly used with the Phantom today:
If 2G is still available in your area, then it's perfectly fine to continue using it. I suspect it'll eventually be discontinued everywhere someday though.

The Marco Polo tracker is a good option for the Mavic due to its small size and weight. I think the Ping tracker will be a great option too, but it hasn't been released yet.

Last edited:
Thanks Phantom Help. I like my Trackimo (July 2015 bought) it is 2g. Fee is $5/month. Has good battery life. Not sure when 2g may be phased out.

Also like the Marco Polo, but $220 seems a bit strong and how effective being blocked by trees and hills if it goes to the ground?

Seems like someone would make a tracker that will work with GPS/cell as well as can work like Marco.

This seems popular, but don't see why, with $25/month fee. Might be a little better than Trackimo, but pricey in fees.
Amazon.com: Spy Tec STI_GL300 Mini Portable Real Time GPS Tracker: Electronics

I have been using a Trackimo 2g. Seems to be working fine. (Atlanta GA) area. However it is an older model and wondering if a 3g model? Or is another tracker, better. I have a Phantom 3 and am thinking about buying a Mavic Pro.

Thanks,
Bill
If you have a 2G system you're happy with, waiting for the PING GPS 3G solution this summer may be the best plan. I just preordered one myself. 1oz weight and longer battery life are nice features for the Mavic. I use MarcoPolo on my Mavic today, it works anywhere, no need for cell coverage. It's also small and light, it can velcro to the back of the craft, right above the light. The MP battery lasts 10 days for the lighter (non pet style) smaller unit, which I like when on vacation. On a typical week vacation I just leave it on all the time so I don't have to remember to turn it on every day.

Last edited:
Here's a list of the trackers most commonly used with the Phantom today:
If 2G is still available in your area, then it's perfectly fine to continue using it. I suspect it'll eventually be discontinued everywhere someday though.

The Marco Polo tracker is a good option for the Mavic due to its small size and weight. I think the Ping tracker will be a great option too, but it hasn't been released yet.

I am now playing/experimenting with the RF-V42, which is the 3G WCDMA version. The RF-V16, as far as I am aware is 2G only.. I used the V16 for a while until 2G telco support was dropped in Australia, which rendered the V16 2G device obsolete.

The V42 is a slight bit larger then the V16, but that is not really problematic..It seems to be working very well so far after a few days of testing. - i have posted a few of my findings on another thread:

3G GPS tracker RF-v42

I had no luck with the Trackimo. Shows your drone all over the place. I'd go Marco Polo

Thanks,
Bill

Trackimo 2g is a piece of CRAP. Location is about two miles off. I have sent email to Trackimo and get fast - but moronic email response. These form letters are worthless. FINALLY a "CSR" from Trackimo who told me that the 2g network in Atlanta area is flaky and I need to buy the 3g, BUT I have heard such a runaround from Trackimo "tech support" that I will never buy a piece of crap from Trackimo.

The CSR - who introduced himself as "Dennis the Menace" was obviously sorting his 'in basket' more so than paying much attention to me, nor my problem. He offered to sell me a Trackimo 3g for about $200. I told him that there were better buys on Amazon and he told me that IF I bought another from any other seller than straight from Trackimo, even if they state they are an authorized dearle, that Trackimo would not be supported by Trackimo.

To me, that they are NOT supporting what they have. Very frustrating experience.

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for Info I have a P4 and interested in Trackimo and as pointed out there is 2G and 3G with 3G selling on their site for $199 about $60 more than 2G model. I have Ipad Mini without sim card but also just purchased Iphone SE with ATT service. Will someone please advise what advantage 3G is over 2G? Is there more range longer battery etc.

Many thanks for all the help you have given Walter

Regarding Trackimo. I would suggest buying anything else. Their customer service is a joke. A bad joke.

WOW Can you suggest one that you have tried other than Trackimo if the C/S is bad it maybe unavailable at the worse time. I would just like a little more protection finding lost P4 should it fly away

Wow bummer you had a problem with trackimo c/s as they were great with me. Had no trouble at all & they even lowered the 3G price to $169. I can't say enough good about trackimo & mine has worked great & within a few feet from where it shows on app. Maybe I got lucky for once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers