GUIDE: Ultimate GPS tracker setup for Phantom 3

Have you tried this upgrade?

• Total voters
Yes! Neary Aerial!

Has anyone successfully filed a claim with them? They look like a tiny shop?

The problem with SquareTrade is that if you call them they will tell you they do NOT cover drones, if you buy a camera warranty and apply it they say they will deny the claim when you have one.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Of course, but it is updating its location every 10 seconds. Sky200 records and logs all locations for all flights so you'll always know where it was 10 seconds ago. So, unless the battery pops out mid-air, by the time it hits the ground you pretty much know where it's going to be. But, I agree, it's nice to have a battery. But by the same reasoning, a GPS tracker could come off. If it battery is held in securely and clipped in and gps is just taped onto the side, more likely to have GPS fall off than battery pop out. Plus, with this setup, you can potentially mount the GPS inside the craft. But, you can't do that with a battery-operated as it has to be removed to charge the battery.

I had trouble with the TK102. It seemed quite cheap and I had to initiate commands to get it going, etc. It didn't work well for me.

I had trouble with the TK102. It seemed quite cheap and I had to initiate commands to get it going, etc. It didn't work well for me.

Thanks for the review. Do you have one you like that is less difficult to install than your post? Maybe self powered?

I would not void the warranty for that and its not good to place a GPS tracker so close to the flight controller. Also the battery will pop out in most crashes.

I would not void the warranty for that and its not good to place a GPS tracker so close to the flight controller. Also the battery will pop out in most crashes.

GPS is not next to the flight controller. It is at the bottom of the aircraft (for the external mount). If you read the previous posts, I mentioned that even if the battery pops out in crashes, it will record every 10 seconds. So you will know where you just were before you hit the ground. If someone has already voided their warranty (for other reasons).

Thanks for the review. Do you have one you like that is less difficult to install than your post? Maybe self powered?

There's all kinds out there. I'd get Trackimo, if I had to choose.

GPS is not next to the flight controller. It is at the bottom of the aircraft (for the external mount). If you read the previous posts, I mentioned that even if the battery pops out in crashes, it will record every 10 seconds. So you will know where you just were before you hit the ground. If someone has already voided their warranty (for other reasons).

That's assuming you have a sensible data connection... I prefer the SMS approach that will work with a very weak mobile signal and be self powered.

VERSION 2!!!

Decided everything looked too messy on the outside with all the wires. So, I moved GPS tracker is tucked inside and I attached 1 super bright LED to the back with a switch.

You can still see the battery level through the velcro when the LED is off. Also, I wired in a 16v to 12v switching regulator to take the voltage down to 12v for the LED light. It's extremely bright.
20150608_230825.jpg
20150608_230847.jpg

Switch regulator used: https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/de-swadj

Very clean setup now!
20150608_230711.jpg
20150608_230729.jpg
20150608_230721.jpg
20150608_230744.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts. As for myself, I am waiting for the new Flytrex for the P3. I have a Live 3G in my P2V and another in my P2V+ and they have been flawless. The Flytrex will show you exactly where it was last seen even if the battery gets ejected. I had a situation where my P2V went into auto land even though it still had more than 50% battery still available. The Flytrex was spot on where it landed. Also being able to quickly replay a visual plot of the entire flight with altitude, speed, battery volts, temperature and time recorded is really nice to have.

Excellent post! Good job!! Dont let anyone say anything negative about your setup. Its perfect and the most efficient way to make this work...and the key word is efficient!!! Forget about an external battery to power the tracker!! Thats insane and too much weight. Also adding an external battery would throw the balance off. And Im sure everyone wants to maximize their battery life and adding weight from an external battery wouldnt be the answer and that tracker probably pulls next to nothing from the DJI battery for power. Obviously everything is reversible so I wouldnt worry about voiding your warranty. Most likely if your bird is stock and something happens to it because of a defect, DJI will find a way to say its your fault anyway. How did it fit inside the case? Was it hard or it just sat in there? I would erase everything about Radio Shack because they arent open anymore LOL.

I have local Radio Shacks here. A little cramped to get it all inside. But, it fits. GPS location was a bit off tonight flying. I'll have to do some more testing tomorrow for accuracy of GPS location. Worst case I could pull the GPS out and stick it to the back of the battery with the LED on top. Still cleaner than what I had before.

Ah, I see that I did wrong. I angled the GPS tracker with the GPS antenna beneath the Phantom's GPS "foil". No wonder it isn't accurate. I'll have to turn it the other way tomorrow and fix that and retest flying.

Good job and well done.

I would think most people probably dont want to open their P3.

Check that ST warranty REALLY CAREFULLY. The times I used ST the fine print negated any value. You might find that after as little as a few months they will state the value of the Phantom so low that you could never get another one or get yours repaired. They are not a non-profit business.

That's if they will even honor a claim at all.

Anyone seen the TK119 device for sale? Comes in a TK119-GN version that utilizes GPS and Glonass satellites. Waterproof IP67, 50gr, 90mAh battery. Runs on 9-72V.
The manufacturer is offering the module without case, but only wholesale 100 units minimum...

Anyone seen the TK119 device for sale? Comes in a TK119-GN version that utilizes GPS and Glonass satellites. Waterproof IP67, 50gr, 90mAh battery. Runs on 9-72V.
The manufacturer is offering the module without case, but only wholesale 100 units minimum...

The Glonass is nice but this one is specifically made to go in a vehicle, has external harness wiring, and there's something about "strong magnetic" in a lot of the descriptions I read (even though I can't quite figure out what is magnetic from the descriptions). I also think the TK109 has a better battery since it's not just a backup.

I still like the TK109B better for an external, detachable solution. I've been testing the TK109B for about a month now and it just plain works. Very accurate and has not failed to report it's location in probably 100 tests so Glonass is nice to have, but I don't see it as a necessity for this.

Best of all, I can buy just one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan