Choosing a good non-GPS tracker

GearLoose said:
Detecting main battery voltage would require a hard connection with the FMKit beacon. One of the beacon's greatest features is its amazingly small size and insignificant weight. I use Scotch tape to attach it to whatever quad I'm using -- takes about ten seconds to mount or remove. Or, I can attach it to my dog, who generates his own power and does not need a battery.

It would be wonderful if there were an all-in-one device that could use either gps, satellite phone, 2-4g, or fm. But, until there is, the FMKit is still one of the cheapest, lightest, and most reliable devices I've yet seen.

I have no problem recharging a small LiPo battery to power the FMkit beacon. A hard-wired connection to the Phantom's battery would be a nice way to conserve it's own power, but not a necessity.

You'd think the guys over at Flytrex could see the opportunity to create the "ultimate tracking device" that could utilize both 3G/GPS and a UHF beacon, but I guess they'd rather focus on handing out "merit badges" to their customers than actually be a startup built around innovation and market demand.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4