FAA Drone question

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no law that addresses it directly. There is no law that addresses any specific scenario directly. The relevant FAA regulations are 14 CFR Part 107 and 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E. That has been pointed out repeatedly.

My question was specific to flying a drone at a funeral and NOT related to the commercial aspect of the discussion. So there is no law prohibiting flying a drone at a funeral and if the family asked that someone do it for their own personal use to memorialized their dead relative this would not violate any FAA regulation assuming no airspace regulations were being violated. Is that correct?

Seems to me the OP has 'flew the coop'... didn't get the answer he wanted to hear so probably won't be back

My question was specific to flying a drone at a funeral and NOT related to the commercial aspect of the discussion. So there is no law prohibiting flying a drone at a funeral and if the family asked that someone do it for their own personal use to memorialized their dead relative this would not violate any FAA regulation assuming no airspace regulations were being violated. Is that correct?

I'm sure it's legal to document a funeral using aerial photography, and it's certainly not going to violate any FAA regulations provided the pilot is Part 107 certified.

Reactions: BigAl07
You were doing good till you got to this part." if the family asked that someone do it for their own personal use to memorialized their dead relative".

Is this for fun and recreation?

You were doing good till you got to this part." if the family asked that someone do it for their own personal use to memorialized their dead relative".

Is this for fun and recreation?

Recreational would include for their personal "pleasure". I don't think the word "fun" has to necessarily be part of the definition of recreational.

I'm sure it's legal to document a funeral using aerial photography, and it's certainly not going to violate any FAA regulations provided the pilot is Part 107 certified.

Why would the person have to have a 107 if it is not being used for commercial purposes? Recreation by definition means not for profit and as mention I don't think the words "for fun" have to be used in regard to an activity to classify it as recreational. There are other benefits to recreational activities beyond simply having fun.

Why would the person have to have a 107 if it is not being used for commercial purposes?
Did you read this whole thread? The word commercial or for-profit has nothing to do with the way the law is written.

Check this:

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that people will go to to try to circumvent such as clearly written statement. It's completely irrelevant whether or not the flight is commercial. Neither Part 101 nor Part 107 mentions commercial. The distinction is whether or not the flight is recreational, as stated in Part 101. As I said - if you want to play devil's advocate and argue that somehow this was a recreational flight then fine but, as posed (his boss requested him to provide photographs of an event), that's not really a tenable argument. Now if his boss had just suggested it because he thought it would be fun, and wasn't actually requesting the photographs, then that might be different.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Did you read this whole thread? The word commercial or for-profit has nothing to do with the way the law is written.

Check this:

Did you not read my comments regarding the word recreational? Did you also not read my post where I said I WAS NOT addressing the OP's particular situation? And part 107 is about profit and work which is some what redundant since work in the context of 107 is ultimate always about profit whether the profit is realized or not. Do you know of a business where work isn't ultimately about profit? Nowhere in the legislation is the word "fun" used. It says for recreational purposes so any insinuation that I'm trying to skirt regulations is bogus.

Did you not read my comments regarding the word recreational?
I've read every post in this thread.

Bottom line: I'll do what I want, you do what you want.

Consider this:

You've charged your batteries, packed up, and headed out the door.

Scenario #1 - a hobby/recreational flight (and inside the Part 101 'bubble')

Wife: Where you going honey?

You: There's a funeral this afternoon. I've never video'd a funeral before, and I think it would be a blast, and a good way to unwind. The wife and family of the dead guy is 'OK' with it, so I'm going to relax a while and buzz around the mourners... y'know, get some cool shots of the hearse and all.

Wife: OK, have fun... hey, I don't feel like cooking tonight, would you stop and get some take-out on your way home? I'll light some candles in the bedroom. ;)

Scenario #2 - NOT a hobby/recreational flight

You: My boss asked me to fly over and video a funeral later today, for reasons unknown. I don't know the wife or any family of the dead guy, but y'know... my boss asked me to do it. I haven't checked with the family, but I really don't think a drone buzzing overhead will bother anyone.

Wife: Ok, be careful... hey, I don't feel so good, could you stop on the way home and pick up some tampons? The Jumbo ones :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above is "just for fun" and the result of a good fish dinner and 2-3 Bud Lights.

BTW, I'm not trying to change your mind, or convince you of anything, because I really don't care WHAT you think, or do... and if I wanted to shoot aerial video for someone else, I surely would NOT announce it on the internet.

I've read every post in this thread.

Bottom line: I'll do what I want, you do what you want.

Consider this:

You've charged your batteries, packed up, and headed out the door.

Scenario #1 - a hobby/recreational flight (and inside the Part 101 'bubble')

You: There's a funeral this afternoon. I've never video'd a funeral before, and I think it would be a blast, and a good way to unwind. The wife and family of the dead guy is 'OK' with it, so I'm going to relax a while and buzz around the mourners... y'know, get some cool shots of the hearse and all.

Wife: OK, have fun... hey, I don't feel like cooking tonight, would you stop and get some take-out on your way home? I'll light some candles in the bedroom. ;)

Scenario #2 - NOT a hobby/recreational flight

You: My boss asked me to fly over and video a funeral later today, for reasons unknown. I don't know the wife or any family of the dead guy, but y'know... my boss asked me to do it. I haven't checked with the family, but I really don't think a drone buzzing overhead will bother anyone.

Wife: Ok, be careful... hey, I don't feel so good, could you stop on the way home and pick up some tampons? The Jumbo ones :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above is "just for fun" and the result of a good fish dinner and 2-3 Bud Lights.

BTW, I'm not trying to change your mind, or convince you of anything, because I really don't care WHAT you think, or do... and if I wanted to shoot aerial video for someone else, I surely would NOT announce it on the internet.

Your attempt to use sarcasm to cover up your lack of understanding is amusing but doesn't fly (pun intended). I said nothing about fun. I didn't say it was initiated on the part of the person flying the drone. The scenario could be a friend that knows I fly and take video ask if I would do it as a favor for the family and it would be viewed in remembrance of their loved one. It's not an issue of doing it for "fun". It's not being done for profit. But I would still claim it was done under the heading of recreation flying and dare the FAA lawyers to try and claim it comes under the heading of a commercial use of a drone.

But I would still claim it was done under the heading of recreation flying and dare the FAA lawyers to try and claim it comes under the heading of a commercial use of a drone.
If you don't get it by now, you never will. Goodbye

Why would the person have to have a 107 if it is not being used for commercial purposes? Recreation by definition means not for profit and as mention I don't think the words "for fun" have to be used in regard to an activity to classify it as recreational. There are other benefits to recreational activities beyond simply having fun.

Because "commercial" is not the criterion, and never has been. How many times does that have to be pointed out? And yes - the words "for fun" are exactly the words used by the FAA to define recreational. Perhaps you need to look up the definition of "recreational". Even if you were to relax that definition a bit, conducting a requested photo assignment is never going to fit the definition of a recreational flight.

Why is this still being debated? It's an issue that has been raised ad nauseum and has been clarified multiple times by the FAA. You can read the laws, regulations and interpretations; they leave very little room for ambiguity and what little room they leave clearly doesn't apply to fulfilling a third party request for photo coverage of an event.

If you don't get it by now, you never will. Goodbye

I don't think you get it. Unless you're claiming all photograph is commercial use of a drone how is videoing a funeral anything but a recreation use if there is no profit, no intent to profit, no discussion of profit, no business being promoted or anything else related to the word's commercial application? You haven't come anywhere near an explanation for how doing what I described as a recreational use of a drone is some a commercial use. You just don't "feel" comfortable with using the word recreational in the context of a funeral. Free your mind unmanbean. This isn't about feeling comfort, its about taking the regulations at face value. There is zero in the regulations that connects recreational with fun and nothing specific about flying at a funeral.

I don't think you get it. Unless you're claiming all photograph is commercial use of a drone how is videoing a funeral anything but a recreation use if there is no profit, no intent to profit, no discussion of profit, no business being promoted or anything else related to the word's commercial application? You haven't come anywhere near an explanation for how doing what I described as a recreational use of a drone is some a commercial use. You just don't "feel" comfortable with using the word recreational in the context of a funeral. Free your mind unmanbean. This isn't about feeling comfort, its about taking the regulations at face value. There is zero in the regulations that connects recreational with fun and nothing specific about flying at a funeral.

Commercial is but one way to fly outside of Hobby/Recreational bubble of protection. You can not "recreate/hobby" FOR someone else. The moment someone asks you to do something it's no longer recreational. While you might be willing to do it for fun the mere fact you was asked to do it by someone else you've lost the Hobby/Recreational bubble.

Those who get hung up on "Commercial" are only concentrating on one portion of Part 107. If you do not fit 100% inside hobby/recreational you default to Part 107. That's not my words but words from the FAA. I do Search & Rescue completely without any type of compensation... in fact it costs me $$ (sometimes a considerable amount of $$ out of my own personal pockets) but it is far from Hobby/Recreational so Part 107 (or Gvt COA) is required or I'm busting FAA Regulations.

Commercial is but one way to fly outside of Hobby/Recreational bubble of protection. You can not "recreate/hobby" FOR someone else. The moment someone asks you to do something it's no longer recreational. While you might be willing to do it for fun the mere fact you was asked to do it by someone else you've lost the Hobby/Recreational bubble.
That's probably more black and white that the FAA cares about.
When I was a new flyer, I'd find any excuse to fly.
If my brother/father/boss etc asked me to see what was up on their roof or to take a photo of their house, I'd have done it in an instant for my own fun and it would not have been something that was commercial or required a 107.

Seriously folks. The OP hasn’t posted since page 1 post #20. He clearly stated, thanks for the info I won’t be flying. Now we 2 more pages of debate about the legalities & morality of flying at a funeral. Time to move on.

Seriously folks. The OP hasn’t posted since page 1 post #20. He clearly stated, thanks for the info I won’t be flying. Now we 2 more pages of debate about the legalities & morality of flying at a funeral. Time to move on.

That's what happens on discussion forums. Things get discussed. You are under no obligation to participate.

Reactions: PhantomPilotUK
This is exactly why you dont ask questions like this here.

Didnt even ask for specifics - just started typing its illegal. Big key ring, Im sure.

The OP's question had all the specifics needed. There was nothing he could have added to arrive at a different answer.

The OP's question had all the specifics needed. There was nothing he could have added to arrive at a different answer.

He never said he was flying over people, etc.

He could fly in unrestricted airspace over a cemetery, away from people and take photos or video from the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart