FAA Drone question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just bought a phantom 3 advance that i am about to register tonight. My boss ask if i could take a few pictures at a big funeral tomorrow. What do i need to know before i take pictures or fly drone at funeral? thank you

It's illegal to capture pictures at a funeral? I was ask to captures photos for a big funeral that will have some of hia big projects he built there also

First, did you check to see if it is in a "no fly zone?"
You are not allowed to fly over people.
Do you have a commercial license? If no, don't even began to say you are not getting paid to do it. If you are just flying for fun, legally you can't do it.

When you register with the FAA, read their rules. It sounds also with inexperience you could be asking for trouble.

Im not benefiting from it or bettering a bussiness. I was ask by my boss and told him i would have to check the laws. I will not be flying over people. I am 4.8 miles from the nearest airport which is small. I will have to call them early in a day to tell them i will be airborn for 3 min at 100ft

Do you think the noise might offend those in attendance?

This doesn’t sound like a hobby flight to me if your boss asked you to capture images of his work product. But I don’t really want to open that debate as there are plenty of threads about that. I’d me more concerned about the noise disruption

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Im not benefiting from it or bettering a bussiness. I was ask by my boss and told him i would have to check the laws. I will not be flying over people. I am 4.8 miles from the nearest airport which is small. I will have to call them early in a day to tell them i will be airborn for 3 min at 100ft
I caught you there. The man over you"BOSS". Doing something for "BOSS" does not benefit you? LOL
Seriously, I understand what you are saying. It is against the FAA law for you to fly. People do it all the time and no problem about getting away with it. Check the archives on this forum. We have discussed it a lot. Big Al107 the moderator, he knows EVERYTHING. He can tell you.
If you wanted to do it, the best thing you could have done, was not mention it publicly on this forum, because it is illegal.

Besides the noise or distracting.. That not what i am asking. I'm unsure about law and i am helping my community out because i was ask. I am asking for guidance so i can fly safe and not break anylaws. Also keep a good rep with the drone community. I won't being flying during the funeral. He is a popular person our community and our work will be a big part. His work will be showcased outside that he has built over his his years he requested to be there when he passes

Besides the noise or distracting.. That not what i am asking. I'm unsure about law and i am helping my community out because i was ask. I am asking for guidance so i can fly safe and not break anylaws. Also keep a good rep with the drone community. I won't being flying during the funeral. He is a popular person our community and our work will be a big part. His work will be showcased outside that he has built over his his years he requested to be there when he passes
Ok. But remember also that disrupting a funeral with drone noise doesn’t really keep a good rep with the drone community. ;)

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Deezbs
Public or not i am reaching out to figure out if i can legally do this or not. My boss asking me does not benifit me or my work. Its a funeral..... In my opinion. If my drone registered, get authorized by airport, stay away from the public. I should be fine from my research

The more you say, the deeper the hole you dig. It is illegal even if you don't want to except the fact. Sorry and good night.

PS, It's hard to tell the Boss no, isn't it.

And how is it illegal to ask a question because i am unsure being a new drone owner? Atleast im checking the laws before i do something

And how is it illegal to ask a question because i am unsure being a new drone owner? Atleast im checking the laws before i do something
Your new drone is not a very appropriate device for photographing a funeral for a number of reasons.
It has a very wideangle lens which means you need to get it quite close to see any detail at all.
It's also very noisy and likely to be unwelcome in that environment.
Besides that, there are a lot of things to learn before you could safely use it close to a public gathering.

Public or not i am reaching out to figure out if i can legally do this or not. My boss asking me does not benifit me or my work. Its a funeral..... In my opinion. If my drone registered, get authorized by airport, stay away from the public. I should be fine from my research
I’m not sure if you want other views or are just looking to get your opinion validated. I’m not trying to be snarky but it seems as though that could be how this message may be read.

Not sure where you researched but there are many (maybe too many) threads in this forum that point differently than your opinion. Many people believe that a part 107 flight does not have to be commercial or for money or in furtherance of a business. It just has to be not a “hobby flight.” This has been written about ad nauseum. Some will try to hypothetically game the system by conjuring up loopholes. Some say that doing it for someone else (and not yourself) regardless of the reason makes it a non hobby flight.

Who is correct? Well, I’m not the FAA or a lawyer. But if you are looking for anything close to an assurance that yours would be a hobby flight, there is a large body of opinion out there that says it’s not. So you are just going to have to decide who you believe. But just know that your opinion isn’t a slam dunk.

Ok. I did not think it would be a big or deal. I am not going to bother. It now has turned into a headache with all these laws when i was trying to do good by my community. I been into rc stuff my whole life and decided to invest into a drone to do this type of stuff as a hobby for fun. I just dont understand why it would not be okay. That why i came to a forum to get help with experts on the drone laws. If you guys are clearing stating its not okay. Then i am just going to leave the topic alone and not doing it. Ill just study up more on drone laws and watch the drone collect dust

Ok. I did not think it would be a big or deal. I am not going to bother. It now has turned into a headache with all these laws when i was trying to do good by my community. I been into rc stuff my whole life and decided to invest into a drone to do this type of stuff as a hobby for fun. I just dont understand why it would not be okay. That why i came to a forum to get help with experts on the drone laws. If you guys are clearing stating its not okay. Then i am just going to leave the topic alone and not doing it. Ill just study up more on drone laws and watch the drone collect dust
Rather than let it collect dust, why not take it out and learn how to fly it and land it first? That’s what we all do. Esp before taking on something such as you wanted to take on. The thing is brand new. Get some flight time under your belt. There is a ton to learn.

what you guys are saying is that if i am taking photos at a funeral for my community altho i am not benefiting a single cent out of this Or bettering myself, is not considered a hobby flight?

what you guys are saying is that if i am taking photos at a funeral for my community altho i am not benefiting a single cent out of this Or bettering myself, is not considered a hobby flight?
What I am saying is that there is a large body of opinion that says that, yes. So you are taking a risk if you think it’s a hobby flight. You could find your local FSDO and ask their opinion.

I know you didn’t ask this but I’d be more concerned about your lack of experience with the aircraft to jump into doing something like that. I’m really not putting you down. But I’m concerned that you don’t yet know what you don’t know. Even if not directly over the people, you will be close enough that if something goes wrong or you mishandle the controls you could be. And these things do crash.

What if you have a GPS issue and it switches to ATTI mode? Will you have the practice and cool head to get it under control? What if you accidentally switch it to ATTI due to lack of experience. What if, through lack of practice, you are focused so much on the pics or video you are taking that you lose situational awareness and don’t realize you’re pushing a stick forward or backward. What if someone comes up to you and starts asking questions. Trust me, it takes some practice to handle these situations and not lose focus. And sometimes it still happens to experienced pilots.

I’m not trying to be a bringdown. Just trying to bring some realism. Find a field and do some flying first with nobody around. Practice ATTI mode. Practice using RTH. Make sure you RTH settings are set to keep you out of trouble. Etc.

Hope this helps.

I would also like to add to my answer on you question for added clarity. I had the idea that I might want to use my drone to volunteer for a local land conservancy (among a couple other volunteer things). After reading quite a bit about the same question you asked, I decided there was enough of a chance that could be interpreted as non-hobby that I got my 107 to be safe. I learned some things too.

That doesn’t mean that I can render a definitive opinion on what is or isn’t hobby. Some people on here try to do that and I think it’s misleading unless they are from the FAA and offering an official answer. Which doesn’t happen on this forum. So I just go with the preponderance of opinions and do a risk assessment. Better safe than sorry.

My opinion, as I stated earlier, is that there are elements of your flight that *could* be construed as non-hobby so you’re unlikely to get an overwhelming answer that you’d be legal. So why risk it? Unless, as I said, you get an opinion from your FSDO. Preferably in writing.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyones response and understand what everone is saying. Thank you. I am moving on to avoid trouble.Thats why i came here to begin with so i could get couple question awnsered and avoid any fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor