Dump the microSD card

Reaction score
......and get a quicker one.

I bought an iPad mini yesterday, did all the stuff, and took the bird for a flight.Mega pixel delay on the screen so back to the forums. Seems I needed a mini 2. So I rang the store who said I could swap it and pay the difference for a mini 2 - Result

Having recorded video on the stock card that comes with the P3P yesterday I was unhappy with the result, jittery and staggered - really bad. So while I was changing the iPad I looked for a faster card.

I ended up buying a Sandisk Extreme Plus microSDXC UHS-1 Card, 64GB, 80MB/s.

Price on the packet was $199.99 - I asked the guy if he could do better on the card, he said he would do $149.99, the same price as the 32GB card - so I went for it.

Went to pay for it all, the price on the computer came up as $249.99 - BARGAIN OF THE YEAR

Well done Daniel at Harvey Norman at Waurn Ponds!!

A very happy Fish

Except that a faster, more expensive card will perform just the same.
Whatever card you put in, it can only take the data as fast as the Phantom's buffer memory will deliver it.

you could have gotten one from Amazon for much cheaper

Last edited:
A card worth $30 will work perfectly well. That's insane money to spend on a card, I'm afraid you got ripped off.

Reactions: bobomet
I use a samsung evo 64gb cheep as chips works no problem
where is this coming from to spend on biggest n fastest its just not needed so i have soon found anyway

Ouch! - I paid $30.85 each for 3 of the same cards last Sunday. Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB 80MB/s (Technically they are "Sandisk Pixtor" which is just the Best Buy relabeled Sandisk Extreme Plus).

For once DJI did not go cheap on us. The supplied Lexar 16GB UHS-I 633X card is rated at "up to 95MB/s read" which is the maximum speed supported by the SD UHS-I interface. The supplied card is more than fast enough because the highest data rate generated by the camera is 7.5MB/s (4K video encoded at 60Mbps).

Multiple manufacturers are already producing cards with the UHS-II connector (an additional row of pins on the back of the cards) that are performing at 300MB/s, but only a handful of cameras support them (DJI is not one of them).

the highest data rate generated by the camera is 7.5MB/s (4K video encoded at 60Mbps)
What about photos? I have some RAW files that are ~30 MB.

What about photos? I have some RAW files that are ~30 MB.

That's a fun one. A 5 shot AEB in J+R produces roughly 150MB of data that we would like written as quickly as possible to minimize the time we sit watching the blue circle spin so we can take more photos.

Sandisk claims write speeds "up to" 90MB/s for the Extreme Pro and 50MB/s for the Extreme Plus. The bus limit for the SD interface is 95MB/s so you're not going to get any faster.

Second part of the puzzle is the interface on the camera - it has to support UHS-I to get the fastest speeds, and I can't find any documentation on DJI's site that says if it does.

Step 3 we need to do a real world shoot out where we bench test the P3 shooting 5AEB photos with different cards and record the amount of time it takes for the blue circle to stop spinning and also compare the timestamps on the saved files. If they all come out about the same we'll know the limitations of the internal camera bus and memory.

If we do find a significant speed difference we'll know which cards perform the best for photographers, who need much higher data rates than video.

Now I just need a sponsor to provide a Sandisk Extreme Pro card for testing ;)

The stock card is fine. I haven't had any issues with it. Yeah you got extremely ripped off.

Best Buy is the scammiest slime when it comes to memory card pricing. At this moment that want $299.99 for the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB, but they will price match at $54.99 (B&H, Adorama)

Price on the packet was $199.99 - I asked the guy if he could do better on the card, he said he would do $149.99, the same price as the 32GB card - so I went for it.

Went to pay for it all, the price on the computer came up as $249.99 - BARGAIN OF THE YEAR

As others have noted, the going rate for this card is $149.99. So the store you bought it from was over-charging by $50 and your "deal" was to lower the price to the going rate. If a store can't start at the price that another local national chain store known for selling SD cards... I'd probably stay stay away from them.

You paid $150 for that card? Holy hell you got ripped off. It's $62 on Amazon.

You did not get "Bargain of the year". lol!

As others have noted, the going rate for this card is $149.99. So the store you bought it from was over-charging by $50 and your "deal" was to lower the price to the going rate. If a store can't start at the price that another local national chain store known for selling SD cards... I'd probably stay stay away from them.

List price on that card is $64...

OP is in Australia apparently - don't know about whatever exchange rate, but may have something to do with this . . .

Reactions: Gary E
The cardinal rule with most things (especially tech): if you don't shop around then you will pay more. In the world of smartphones, everyone should be price matching. Those that don't get burned and pay a premium.

OP is in Australia apparently - don't know about whatever exchange rate, but may have something to do with this . . .

About .76 U.S. to the Australian dollar so he payed about 113 US dollars for a card that can be had to 62 dollars on Amazon.

He needs to go back to Daniel at Harvey Norman and slap him silly.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
......and get a quicker one.

I bought an iPad mini yesterday, did all the stuff, and took the bird for a flight.Mega pixel delay on the screen so back to the forums. Seems I needed a mini 2. So I rang the store who said I could swap it and pay the difference for a mini 2 - Result

Having recorded video on the stock card that comes with the P3P yesterday I was unhappy with the result, jittery and staggered - really bad. So while I was changing the iPad I looked for a faster card.

I ended up buying a Sandisk Extreme Plus microSDXC UHS-1 Card, 64GB, 80MB/s.

Well done Daniel at Harvey Norman at Waurn Ponds!!

A very happy Fish

Standard systems engineering. If you want to optimise a system you must spend your money on the bottleneck, not on parts which are not the bottleneck, otherwise all you achieve is a loss of cash.:(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31