Forgot the #$&! MicroSD card

Reaction score
There is always a long line of folks waiting for fair passes, so I decided to take the Phantom 4 to kill some time at the Fairgrounds. Beautiful sunrise, had it all framed and ready to take the shot and I realized I had forgotten the 64GB microSD Card back at home in the card reader. I landed and put in the original DJI provided 16 GB microSD card and took the shot. I always carry a few spare memory cards, and have left them at home, but this was the first time I missed it on my checklist and got airborne sans memory.

Upon landing, installing it, taking off again and taking the shot (Missed sunrise) and landing a second time, an older man asked if the first flight was a "calibration flight." He was smiling ear to ear. Turns out he was an time RC plane flyer. I informed him it was indeed, and thanked him for his discretion.

I am just wondering if anyone else will admit to the same error, and also use a post it note or other means at time of memory removal? I had it on my pref-light checklist, but now I will use something in addition.

I have over 500 hours on my Phantom and have taken some beautiful pictures with it. I am hoping to buy a P4Pro once the P5 or replacement comes in the fall. Here is the shot in question, and one other.

Attachments

• Fairgrounds Sunrise.jpg
    Fairgrounds Sunrise.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 916
  • South Union looking West.jpg
    South Union looking West.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 893
Yes! I forgot the SD card once and missed a great sunset. Since then and after DJI GO kept crashing, I switched to Litchi. Now with that configuration I get a warning verbally at startup if the Phantom 4 has no SD card installed. If not for this warning I would. have missed several more shots because I forgot the card. I don't know if DJI GO now gives a verbal warning as I now get a warning that my iPad is not compatible.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Scott Davis
Right over the top of my house with the storm and rain alongside.....
Sunset Over the Field.JPG

I always keep two 64 GB formatted cards in my backpack. So far never needed them but who knows ....

For the first month or so I often took off with no card.

After having to come back and land a few times, I learned my lesson. Now checking for the a card is second nature.

Best thing to do.... Put the SD Card in your everyday trainers/shoes. That way you will see it or at least feel it the moment you put them on

Or... Get an emergency only SD Card and tape it to the front of the RC [emoji4]

YES! Two years ago and I'm STILL kicking myself! Out at the lake, 4th of July, but it's not the fireworks I missed. A boat load of my family, grandkids included, loaded up the boat and went down the cove slowly, getting ready to go tubing. I...in my genius mind, thought OH!! I HAVE TO GET MY P3P out and follow them! I took off from the top of the dock (flat roof dock, with stairs), a very cool shot.

It was the best flying of my life! Still!! I followed them down the cove, videoing in 4k. I did 10 feet off the water circles around them, all of them waving. I zoomed towards them (safely), then did a rapid climb, gimbal spinning to keep them in frame! All sorts of acrobatics and great video, people just amazed at my skills! I even flew backwards, only 15' up as they took off getting the boat on plane before I climbed rapidly, getting a shot of the boat and the whole lake from...uh...a fairly high altitude.
Just wished I'd had the freaken memory card in......ARGHHH!!
(Note to self. When you're all excited about getting in the air fast, to get an incredible fast shot in: Deep breath. Slow down. Check for the memory card)

Best thing to do.... Put the SD Card in your everyday trainers/shoes. That way you will see it or at least feel it the moment you put them on

Or... Get an emergency only SD Card and tape it to the front of the RC [emoji4]

I've since put a "Not Ready For Flight" hanging ribbon just above the slot, right next to the "Take the **** gimbal protector off" ribbon. (another lesson learned when the Most Beautiful Shot EVER presented itself)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Haven't forgotten to have one in, but I did forget to wipe one. The result was a full card and having to download the previous work onto a laptop before I could continue. Cue grumpy real estate agent, grumpy house owner and embarrassed me. 64gb takes a while to download!
Now I always take two.

Been there .... done that. Now I immediately put the card back in the drone after downloading.

There is always a long line of folks waiting for fair passes, so I decided to take the Phantom 4 to kill some time at the Fairgrounds. Beautiful sunrise, had it all framed and ready to take the shot and I realized I had forgotten the 64GB microSD Card back at home in the card reader. I landed and put in the original DJI provided 16 GB microSD card and took the shot. I always carry a few spare memory cards, and have left them at home, but this was the first time I missed it on my checklist and got airborne sans memory.

Upon landing, installing it, taking off again and taking the shot (Missed sunrise) and landing a second time, an older man asked if the first flight was a "calibration flight." He was smiling ear to ear. Turns out he was an time RC plane flyer. I informed him it was indeed, and thanked him for his discretion.

I am just wondering if anyone else will admit to the same error, and also use a post it note or other means at time of memory removal? I had it on my pref-light checklist, but now I will use something in addition.

I have over 500 hours on my Phantom and have taken some beautiful pictures with it. I am hoping to buy a P4Pro once the P5 or replacement comes in the fall. Here is the shot in question, and one other.

I am new at this so may be missing something but last time out i forgot my sd card and the photo automatically saved t my iPhone. Didn't lose anything.

I am new at this so may be missing something but last time out i forgot my sd card and the photo automatically saved t my iPhone. Didn't lose anything.

This is true however the video and photos saved on your device or much lower quality than those of sd card. But at least it's better than nothing. Been there done that unfortunately as well.

Nice job !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl