Class Action against DJI

Reaction score
After loosing my Phantom 2 Vision by the dreaded "Fly Away" I have decided to take this to the ACCC for legal action. Please follow this thread for updates.

If you have had a fly-away event or know someone that does send them here to share your experience and how DJI handled your dispute.

After speaking to Daniel Huang on the phone, he admitted that after seeing the video I provided, the craft was indeed faulty. He went on to offer 50% discount.

By law if the manufacture sells a faulty product, they must refund, repair or replace. Not offer 50% discount.

Daniel Huang, as I understand from our recent phone call you said you escalated this case for a full refund/ exchange.
I will refer this case to the ACCC after 10 business days, then take legal action.

The outcome I want is a refund or replacement. If this doesn't happen I will proceed with the following steps:

Step 1.
I will wait for a response within a reasonable time— 10 business days.

Step 2.
Contact the ACCC

Step 3.
Take legal action

Under the ACCC government law Australia you should understand my consumer rights:

If a product or service you buy fails to meet a guarantee, you have a right to a
remedy such as:
• refund
• repair
• replacement or exchange
• compensation
• cancellation of contract.
The remedy you are entitled to will depend on whether the failure to comply with
the guarantee is major or minor.

Remedies explained
Refunds for goods
The seller can offer you a refund for a minor problem. If the problem is major you
have the option to choose a refund, and the seller must not refuse or insist that
you accept a credit note, exchange card or replacement.
The seller must also return any other form of payment you might have made such
as a trade-in. If this is not possible (if, for example, they have sold the product you
traded in) they must refund you the value with another form of payment.

Claims against manufacturers and importers
You can seek damages directly from a manufacturer (or importer if the
manufacturer does not have an office in Australia) where there is a failure of the
consumer guarantees for:
• acceptable quality
• matching description
• repairs and spare parts
• express warranties.
If a manufacturer fails to comply with one of these guarantees, you may be
entitled to damages for the reduction in the product’s value. The amount you can
claim is limited to the price paid for the product, or the average retail price of the
product at the time it was bought, whichever is lower. You may also be entitled
to losses that could be reasonably attributed to the failure, including any costs
incurred in returning the product to the manufacturer.
A manufacturer will not have to pay damages if they have provided you with a
repair or replacement under an express warranty. However, if you have asked
the manufacturer to provide you with a repair or replacement under an express
warranty and they have refused or failed to do so within a reasonable time, you
are entitled to the damages set out above.

I formal letter of complain will follow this email.

Thank you.
Regards,
Tristaan Polkinghorne

can you share the video with us?

Hi thanks for your interest, I'm on a train heading home right now, but when I get home I will upload video to YouTube.

The last comment from DJI

Daniel Huang (DJI)
Aug 22 11:33
Dear Tristan,
Thank you for answering my phone.
As spoke over phone and I shall underline my point again: if you are aware of the phantom was not 100% functioning well , instead of sending in for service or at least report this problem to the manufacturer, you continued to fly it days later, that would be reckless behavior.
Thank you for your understanding and patience.

A bit more info? How long did you have it? What was wrong with it that it wasn't functioning 100% before it flew away? Did you retrieve the phantom? How exactly did it flyaway? What firmware version were you on?

TristAAn said:
After loosing my Phantom 2 Vision by the dreaded "Fly Away" I have decided to take this to the ACCC for legal action. Please follow this thread for updates.

If you have had a fly-away event or know someone that does send them here to share your experience and how DJI handled your dispute.

After speaking to Daniel Huang on the phone, he admitted that after seeing the video I provided, the craft was indeed faulty. He went on to offer 50% discount.

By law if the manufacture sells a faulty product, they must refund, repair or replace. Not offer 50% discount.

If you have identified an issue then you have some responsibility to notify the vendor and allow them the opportunity to correct the issue, not continue to use the item until it totally fails or in your case it "flies away".

Why did DJI say you continued to fly it after you knew it was not 100%? A true "flyaway" happens totally unexpectedly to a perfectly functioning aircraft flown within limits and all pre-flight requirements performed correctly. That's why "real" ones are so rare...

Most people I know with problems might post the video and all the evidence first. Going for a new post shouting about legal action with nothing else on it just makes it look like you're trying to use the forum's popularity to help your own situation rather than helping everyone if you have data on a true flyaway.

Let us know the flying conditions, your pre-flight regime, last time you calibrated compass and where, last time you updated firmware and to which version, what this previous problem was and why you continued to fly after it... All that will help everyone to help you, perhaps.

Pull_Up said:
... A true "flyaway" happens totally unexpectedly to a perfectly functioning aircraft flown within limits and all pre-flight requirements performed correctly. That's why "real" ones are so rare...

...Let us know the flying conditions, your pre-flight regime, last time you calibrated compass and where, last time you updated firmware and to which version, what this previous problem was and why you continued to fly after it... All that will help everyone to help you, perhaps.

based on an expirience i had last wednesday i dont agree with what you are saying, actually im working on a post about "the importance of check lists" and as soon as i finish it ill post it and may be used as a direct answer to this post :)
stay tuned.

There are a lot of checklists out there already.

N017RW said:

i know there are a lot of check lists, im writting about the importance of following them ;-)

Been there done that too.

Besides you just did!

chapsrlz said:
N017RW said:

i know there are a lot of check lists, im writting about the importance of following them ;-)
Wait, what? You missed some important items off a pre-flight checklist (or didn't follow one) and this warrants a call for a class action lawsuit?

I feel we're definitely missing something here...

Chapsrlz wasn't the OP, Pull_Up.

But I'm confused about your post chapsrlz... you say you disagree with Pull_Up when he said that pre-flight requirements should be followed, but then go on to say how important it is to follow them.

Sounds to me like you are AGREEING, not disagreeing.

must laugh at these blokes full of bluster, making an account and telling us all about how he is going to stick it to DJI with ACCC and other claims. Then they disappear never to be heard of again. Usually because they don't have balls to follow through or they realise that the fault may actually lay somewhere else.

must laugh at these blokes full of bluster, making an account and telling us all about how he is going to stick it to DJI with ACCC and other claims. Then they disappear never to be heard of again. Usually because they don't have balls to follow through or they realise that the fault may actually lay somewhere else.
Well welcome to the forum Jack :)
I agree 100% but must laugh at you for posting in a thread that was last posted in a year ago ! :)
You'll figure out this forum in no time !!
Glad ta have you with us and just poking ya a little ;)

Yea I came across that post doing a Google search on ACCC and dji
Wasn't no problem Jack just telling ya . The date is in the bottom left corner and is just old news . We see a lot of old topics being brought up now with this new board as it shows other threads at the bottom of the page so you can search them for something and sometimes folks post in them not looking at the date . The OP in that hasn't been back on since 8/22/14 .

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20