Dual Battery Mod

This thread is still top in my eyes! The rest of this forum has been over run w/ p4p picture taking newbies and it's sooooo boring compared to this time last year. Hopefully we get some inspiration and stumble on new ideas this summer to draw some activity back to the threads that made this forum great!

Anything new happening here? Between work and the weather I'm pretty much grounded...Still looking for a 10MS but it looks like that aint happenin anytime soon...

Anything new happening here? Between work and the weather I'm pretty much grounded...Still looking for a 10MS but it looks like that aint happenin anytime soon...
yeah i havent seen the 8.0s or 10.0's anywhere, some lipos but no lihv. Even the multistar 3s lihv batteries are getting hard to find. Maybe we bought all the stock .. they need to make more.

I recently flew with a ms8.0 lipo and a MS 6600 lihv without a camera and made it out to 77k and back. I'd say this mod works quite well :) Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

i did see this pop up on the mavic battery mod thread ..interesting but added weight, would be a clean install though.

New XT60 Panel Mounting Kit US End | eBay

WNxywDo.png

More test results if people are interested. This serves to test the comparison between different dual batteries.

This time my test was not as clinical (my wife got pissed off with me flying in the dining room!). All tests were performed back to back on the same day. Temperature didn't change much throughout the day but the wind did get stronger later in the day (4400's & 5200's). I hovered at 100m height and ran the battery from 100% to 15%. DJI battery was fitted in all of these tests (I've stopped progressing the DJI battery-less version because the battery manager is being a pain in the ***)

FLIGHT TIMES

Split DJI Battery - 27:50
2 x Hyperion 1800 - 29:15
2 x Hyperion 2800 - 32:51
2 x Hyperion 3650 - 34:12
2 x Hyperion 4400 - 36:51 (strong winds)
2 x MultiStar 5200 - 37:47 (strong winds)

I reckon that on a good day the 5200's could get 40mins.

I also have 2 x MultiStar 6600's but I think that I'm already pushing bird hard.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice flight time! 2 x 5200mah is heavy weight well, with use camera or without camera? Thanks.

yeah i havent seen the 8.0s or 10.0's anywhere, some lipos but no lihv. Even the multistar 3s lihv batteries are getting hard to find. Maybe we bought all the stock .. they need to make more.

I recently flew with a ms8.0 lipo and a MS 6600 lihv without a camera and made it out to 77k and back. I'd say this mod works quite well :) Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Dig That is f'n Awesome! 52min 77000ft! good to see your still getin out there...
You made me want to try this...Heres a pic of my next flight...8s on top 6.6's on the bottom...Its one heavy bird...

IMG_4117.JPG

You can find the 14.8 HC version and charge it up on LiPO till 4.2 then "take it outside" and charge it the rest of the way on LiHV setting till 4.35. That's what I've been doing on my MS 14.8 8.0 & 16.0.
You heard me right, I said 16.0!!
Sumpin new I'm trying[emoji41]

aee21d4c6e61b488d3a45d2829cfa38d.jpg
12f66b111156e9cb4127e29a8c78945a.jpg
808087b65547b2d0d3d28238e06ad48f.jpg

I've taken the MultiStar 16.0 on a couple short camera-less runs and it's doable, I think the flight time might suffer a little from the weight, and I definitely cringed every house,road or property I passed over. But very interesting to push the boundaries! P3 cargo world record??
Might take it for another try tonight!
Could be it's last one [emoji41]

Last edited:
Holy crap DB! is there a bird attached to that battery? :) Good to see you're testing the limits....Please keep us posted...

Reactions: Digdat0
I wouldn't say testing the limits, more like pushing the limit! Took the 16.0 for it's 3rd flight last night in real warm calm weather, made it a mile and the a/c started spiraling out of control.
52218b48b0a1cea980ff3afe1fe101e9.jpg

It was heading past a house towards their back half of the property, I was relieved until I went to retrieve it and saw a late night drinking party standing around an eight foot bonfire!! They was nice folk and very curious, they said it "about took Daryl's head off" !!
That was crazy and lucky.
The 3m on the bat was so strong it ripped the receiver right off the bird when the big bat departed! Lucky those good 'old boys didn't throw the bird on the grill[emoji41]
e67e85270bb5812bd24aa4f9d5fa8e25.jpg
4b398871c53435693cc677a4bf067831.jpg

I wouldn't say testing the limits, more like pushing the limit! Took the 16.0 for it's 3rd flight last night in real warm calm weather, made it a mile and the a/c started spiraling out of control.
52218b48b0a1cea980ff3afe1fe101e9.jpg

It was heading past a house towards their back half of the property, I was relieved until I went to retrieve it and saw a late night drinking party standing around an eight foot bonfire!! They was nice folk and very curious, they said it "about took Daryl's head off" !!
That was crazy and lucky.
The 3m on the bat was so strong it ripped the receiver right off the bird when the big bat departed! Lucky those good 'old boys didn't throw the bird on the grill[emoji41]
e67e85270bb5812bd24aa4f9d5fa8e25.jpg
4b398871c53435693cc677a4bf067831.jpg
hahaha i can just picture that now. glad you got it back, post up the log wonder what happened! 2:52? :)

Oh, I forgot to mention about that fatal flight, I just opened up a brand new pack of DJI cf props. I doubt they was the problem and not the 1290 g battery but it's worth reporting. The first two 6 mile round trips were with stock props

Ouch!! No warnings before it took the plunge?

That's the problem with flying without a camera, you don't get to see a little dip or something like that in the camera view, all you see is a little triangle on your map screen spinning out of control. Without the camera I'm not sure if you even get motorspeed errors and other telltale signs

That's the problem with flying without a camera, you don't get to see a little dip or something like that in the camera view, all you see is a little triangle on your map screen spinning out of control. Without the camera I'm not sure if you even get motorspeed errors and other telltale signs
Hi DB for what it's worth I experienced a similar problem last summer my bird was doing 360s mid flite.i thought a bird was trying to attack it.i slowed down and it helped made it back.then flew the next day low level flights same thing doing a little dance.i changed the 2 back motors then flew again same problem and it got worse.i then landed it and got the esc error code end of that board.funny thing is it still flew b4 the esc error and would do its self diagnostics.but the next time I tried to fly she was toast.so I am thinking one of ur esc's must be ready to blow.

Nice flite digdat0 good to see u still going hard congrats on that long distance flite.

Can you still use DJI go or Litchi without a camera installed? At least see altitude and distance?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart