Reaction score
Hi all,

I already have a holiday planned for Turkey, more specifically Istanbul during July of this year, and I really want to take Phantom 2 Vision as I believe I can get some really cool shots of the city with it. However I am unsure of what the actual laws are in this country and the last thing I want is to get to the airport in Istanbul and have the drone taken away from me.

Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: tony harding
I would not take my drone to Turkey. There have been a number of terrorist incidents in Istanbul recently which I am sure has raised the security levels. Just asking for trouble IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: TheWhiteGuy
I know you have to register your drone in Turkey to fly one there and get one through customs. I also want to take my P4 to Turkey in several months time, but I'm struggling to find out all the information and how and if a holiday maker can actually register a drone to take over there.

At this rate I don't believe that I'll be able to register my drone before I go. :(

Reactions: TheWhiteGuy
You can take your drone to Turkey but you'll have to leave your batteries behind!
New restrictions from 28th March 2017 has banned lipo batteries from the cabin or hold when flying from Turkey
Was due to take my drone tomorrow (April)

You can take your drone to Turkey but you'll have to leave your batteries behind!
New restrictions from 28th March 2017 has banned lipo batteries from the cabin or hold when flying from Turkey
Was due to take my drone tomorrow (April)

I'm not sure this is correct - I've been looking at taking my drone to Turkey on holiday and from what I can translate from the registration process in Turkey, ONLY drones over 5kg take off weight are covered by the registration requirement, plus the question of batteries is that any battery in a device plus 2 spare batteries may be carried in hand luggage only provided they are below 100Wh, which most drone batteries are (Mavic is 43, Phantom is 81). No batteries to be placed in Hold Baggage.
If anyone can confirm, that would be great - I've poset a question to a couple of Turkish resident flyers but have not yet had a response.
Cheers

The laws about flying a drone in Turkey are separate to the new security changes for flights from Turkey to UK.
The maximum battery size is now 16cmx9cmx1.5cm. My Mavic is more than 1.5cm thick so risky. Battery could be taken off me at the gate.
I'm flying with EasyJet. Turkish Airlines don't allow drones on their planes!

As battery is £85 I chose not to take my drone.
If time allowed I could have FedEx ed the battery back home

Here's a starting point Drone owners to be registered by civil aviation institution

Flying over the city is a definite no go.

I live in Turkey. Drones everywhere. Police are not even curious. I've flown in some places where renovation was being done & security didn't like-- probably because they didn't know-- but after showing them the live video, they ask for some other shots! There are signs on airport fences & near barracks showing photo of drone & bilingual sign that drones can't be flown there. So by definition, they can be flown elsewhere??

I live in Turkey. Drones everywhere. Police are not even curious. I've flown in some places where renovation was being done & security didn't like-- probably because they didn't know-- but after showing them the live video, they ask for some other shots! There are signs on airport fences & near barracks showing photo of drone & bilingual sign that drones can't be flown there. So by definition, they can be flown elsewhere??

Do you believe this will remain true for places like Istanbul though?

Do you believe this will remain true for places like Istanbul though?
Most of my flying has been in Istanbul-- on Asian side. Go to youtube to see all the drone videos posted of both sides of Istanbul.

MediaMart electronic/appliance mega-store sells DJI Phantoms.

Hi all.
Just came from Turkey two weeks ago. No problems at all. No one asked about insurance or licence for the drone (Phantom 3).
They asked to open the bag, looked at it, asked how much it cost. That's it.

The only problem is to take it back. In my case to the UK. You can't take it with you as a cabine luggage. So it will go to the hold luggage. I've got mine one back undamaged

Did you have to add Hold Luggage or did they offer to move it through, and you reckon I could get away with a Spark

Did you have to add Hold Luggage or did they offer to move it through, and you reckon I could get away with a Spark
They ask about electronic devices when you check in and ask you to move all electronic devices into hold luggage. This is including laptop, tablet and a power bank as well. We have managed to get drone to the gate, but they do a second check there and all electronic devices must go to hold baggage area.
So wrap it properly

They ask about electronic devices when you check in and ask you to move all electronic devices into hold luggage. This is including laptop, tablet and a power bank as well. We have managed to get drone to the gate, but they do a second check there and all electronic devices must go to hold baggage area.
So wrap it properly

What company did you fly back with mate

The laws about flying a drone in Turkey are separate to the new security changes for flights from Turkey to UK.
The maximum battery size is now 16cmx9cmx1.5cm. My Mavic is more than 1.5cm thick so risky. Battery could be taken off me at the gate.
I'm flying with EasyJet. Turkish Airlines don't allow drones on their planes!

As battery is £85 I chose not to take my drone.
If time allowed I could have FedEx ed the battery back home

A bit disagree with what you said Bryden
I used Turkish Airline and I had no issues with my drone as a cabin luggage
Also, they take away all electronic devices not just a battery

So I'm flying with BA, is it right to say I will be fine with everything is my hand luggage for going, but when returning it has to be in the hold... Also in relation to BA restriction with spare batteries would I be allowed to carry that in hand on the way back

So I'm flying with BA, is it right to say I will be fine with everything is my hand luggage for going, but when returning it has to be in the hold... Also in relation to BA restriction with spare batteries would I be allowed to carry that in hand on the way back

That's right, no problem to fly to Turkey. On you way back NO electronic devices in the hand luggage. As I said before no power banks, nothing that is bigger than a mobile phone. You can leave the batteries with the drone (this is what I did, I have a backpack for the drone) or just wrap it in your clothes and put it in the case.
Good luck and don't forget to write here about your experience

Hopefully I get the Spark in time and if I do so I will for sure, was just curious as to the spare battery due to BA policy saying differently and where did you go to inn Turkey if you don't mind me asking

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic