Reaction score
This is the 2016 Chester Fireman's Carnival in Chester, NJ this past weekend (06.24.2016). The organizer (Fire Chief) is also a drone owner, and usually flies during these events. He was busy so I asked if I could do it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I know the month is wrong in the beginning of the video. Sorry o_O.

Hey nunes, any advice for those of us filming fireworks for the first time this weekend?
I've been looking forward to getting video and or photos on the 4th ever since I got my Phantom in Feb.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.
Thanks again for sharing.
MB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

No fireworks display on the 4th,, here in Nome, Alaska.
It doesn't get dark, lol.

Our fireworks happen on New Years Eve.

Hey nunes, any advice for those of us filming fireworks for the first time this weekend?
I've been looking forward to getting video and or photos on the 4th ever since I got my Phantom in Feb.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.
Thanks again for sharing.
MB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey MasterBlaster.

I have a few:
1. If you want to catch all of the "blasts", you'll need to back up pretty far. I flew at the highest allowed altitude of 400ft, and a lot of the "blasts" were too high for me to film. Obviously you could go higher than the 400ft, but I wouldn't risk it. . . Other than that, it's just like any other flight.
2. Don't take off as soon as the fireworks start. I would wait at least 5 minutes. Fireworks get better as they go on and it would be a shame to run out of battery without getting the best part - the ending!
3. If you want to incorporate sound in your video, consider filming with an additional camera. I used a GoPro but a phone would work as well.

I really wanted to fly my drone in the fireworks. I saw a few videos on YouTube where people flew right thru the fireworks and the video came out pretty nice. Unfortunately the carnival organizer asked that I stay away. So if you could do it, that would be pretty awesome. Obviously there are risks :D

Hope this helps.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
No fireworks display on the 4th,, here in Nome, Alaska.
It doesn't get dark, lol.

Our fireworks happen on New Years Eve.
I liked what I've seen, & it doesn't have to be 'pitch' dark...

RedHotPoker

Great work Nunes. What where your camera settings? Looks like you have very little noise in the black areas so I am assuming you had a low ISO.

Reactions: nunes18
I liked what I've seen, & it doesn't have to be 'pitch' dark...

RedHotPoker
We're a bit north of Anchorage.
Sun will set at 1:33 am on July 4th.
But really, for the night of the 4th., the sun will actually set on the 5th. at 1:31 am. Lol

The darker obviously the better, but I would enjoy them at dusk too. Had wanted to fly and film some tonight, at one of our three locations for Canada Day around the capital city. But it sort of rained with lightning and thunder tonight. Not very friendly skies for my Phantom 3 Pro'. No no no.
Oh well, next time.

RedHotPoker

Great work Nunes. What where your camera settings? Looks like you have very little noise in the black areas so I am assuming you had a low ISO.

Thanks Joe. Honestly - everything was on Auto. Because I was shooting at night, and filming very bright blasts, I assumed the auto function would be best. That way the camera would adjust as it needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic