Down Grading Firmware - The Answer

Reaction score
This question seems to come up each time there is a Firmware Update that didn't go like it should for a group of users for various reason. Today I'm going to share the answer to the question "Can we do it".

The answer is Yes & No.

I'll 1st explain the reason for No. If you attempt the usual method for updating firmware of the P3 and set your card up with an older firmware version, the P3 recognizes right away that the file is either the same or older and in turn aborts the process. You can try using a different card or other things but the result will be the same each time.

Now for those of you that are like me and have a hard time excepting them tell you the main option is to send your unit in for repair. Well, provided you have the actual older firmware there is a way to load older firmware on your P3. You will need to remove the top cover and perform a factory reset. This will allow you to load older or current firmware.

I had a number of issues come up since the the last update and DJI Tech Support said I will need to send them my P3. There is noway I will send my quad for it to sit there is a plastic tub waiting 6 weeks for the repair units in front of it to be looked at before mine. And Then all they will do is a hard reset, load the newest firmware and ship it back. At a minimum I will just wait for new firmware to be released. Or pop the top and reset.

Hopefully this info will help some of you.

Have you tried this on your P3?

This is good info for those that feel the need to downgrade, and some do. but it must also be mentioned that if your P3 is still in warranty popping the top will void that warranty, as has been mentioned by Blade Strike several times. But this is still a good option for those out of warranty or don't care about it.

Cool info frank, how is the hard reset done once top popped, and is this something you have tried yet.

This question seems to come up each time there is a Firmware Update that didn't go like it should for a group of users for various reason. Today I'm going to share the answer to the question "Can we do it".

Now for those of you that are like me and have a hard time excepting them tell you the main option is to send your unit in for repair. Well, provided you have the actual older firmware there is a way to load older firmware on your P3. You will need to remove the top cover and perform a factory reset. This will allow you to load older or current firmware.

Having opened both my P2V and my P2 I have no issues with opening her up but how is the factory reset done once Ive done that.
As a follow up ,is it then blank and I can load my firmware or is it back to the firmware that came on it ?

I have all theP3P firmware versions saved on my drive so if anyone needs a older version I can get it to you

Inside3.jpg

Last edited:
Having opened both my P2V and my P2 I have no issues with opening her up but how is the factory reset done once Ive done that and as a follow up is it then blank and I can load my firmware or is it back to the firmware that came on it ?

I have all theP3P firmware versions saved on my drive so if anyone needs a older version I can get it to you

View attachment 22983
That photo looks familiar. :)

I too would like to know how to hard reset just in case it's needed.

Regarding warranty, I can't honestly see how they could tell it's been opened, except for perhaps the dents in the plastic as you struggle to get the blummin lid off due to those evil clips.... :) Still, even those marks can be negated with the right tools.

Reactions: Ari
I don't think you can do in this way, P2s are different concept. You need to open P3 camera and start resetting from there!
May be you can reset main board, but you need single firmware for aircraft main board. The .bin file is a multi system updater.

Guys I have not done this, yet. I was just fortunate to have it shared with me that it can be done and the reason tech support just requested I get a rma and ship my quad. Had I done this prior to posting I would have posted all the details on the how-to's in this thread. I was told it was similar to how it is done with the vPlus. I do know that was done with a jumper wire.

My guess is the focus point would be either the red, gold, and black wire that feeds the front usb, or the 8 combined wire gimbal harness.

Today I deleted everything off the card I use for loading firmware and placing it in the upper gimbal body, powering on and off resulting in the common files to be written on the card again. This consisted of:

DCIM (directory)
MISC (directory) contains the following directories
-IDX
-LOG
P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt
-THM
-HCODE
P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
P3X_FW_firmware.bin

I feel like the firmware is with in the camera.

Anyway, in an other post I've explained that all the fw update process start from camera board. So a reset need to be done on that board. Normally it's a jumper or a cpu pin to v+ or to gnd.. May also be that gimbal cable connects a pin to the right place. I don't want tear down my p3 for the moment.

Sounds silly...
Has anyone tried placing an older firmware and renaming it to the latest to trick the p3?
But i'm sure DJI is smarter this and uses checksums before unloadinge bin file.

I'm still on .19 and a not willing to try...

Reactions: Trumple
Man this thread is a plane crash waiting to happen, do you even understand how the P3 firmware works ?, there is no button or "shorting) of wires to reset the firmware because you can not reset the firmware as its not one whole pice of software, the P3 is made up of roughly 10 sets of parent modules with some having sub modules, when you update the firmware it updates each module then its sub module one at a time, it version checks what it has vs whats on the SD card then updates then moved onto the next, each component has its own firmware, you would need to roll back each components firmware one at a time.

not possible with out modifying the FW bundle its self to make the P3 believe the FW was a newer not an older one, and then you would need to know what modules need what to work with it.

Reactions: Trumple

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl