Do I need a monitor with a cell plan?

Reaction score
Do I need a device or monitor with a cell plan to operate the P3A? I assumed I could use a Wi Fi only tablet but I see a lot of people on here talking about getting LTE versions of Android or iOS tablets. I have an iPhone 5s and an AT&T version iPad 4 (which doesn't work with P3A) and did not want to spend any more on data plans if I don't have to.

If you have a cell phone with mobile hotspot, there is no need for your tablet to have service. You would only need it to cache maps when you are away from WiFi or to live stream your flights through the pilot app. Maps can be cached before you travel, or you can use a cell phone with mobile hotspot to cache on location or stream.

A Wi-Fi only tablet will work. You'll need to cache the map images via an Internet connection before you fly though. Otherwise, the map will be empty in the DJI Pilot app.

I am just guessing but I would assume that if you want to live stream you would need either a data plan or a cell phone hot spot.

I don't care about Live Stream and I assume I will be able to cache the maps, so I think I will go with a Wi Fi only version. I could use my iPhone as a hot spot if I have to. Thanks.

Live stream will require a device with a data plan. Unless your phone can fire up a 5.8ghz hotspot.. I haven't seen any that can.

You dont need to put a sim card into the tablet tho, from my understanding the GPS system still works with out a sim card in the device. Someone sent me a link to a interesting article on this once and it said no sim card was needed in the device in order for the gps to work. A sim card will be needed tho if you wanted to livestream to youtube.

Last edited:
I think i might pick up a shield to use as my main monitor and use my note 3 if I want to live stream something.

Live stream will require a device with a data plan. Unless your phone can fire up a 5.8ghz hotspot.. I haven't seen any that can.

That wasn't my experience. As I'm on iOS, I bought the $30 1st gen Moto G per another suggestion on the site and downloaded the APK directly from DJI's site. That phone has no service of any kind and it worked just fine with my Phantom 3. The only thing I can think of is that it may have been connected to my WiFi but I was pretty far away from it in the front yard that it would have been with 0 bar or 1 bar at best. I can report that the live stream came in crisp & clear without any interruption I would have expected had it rely on any data plan. Not sure how that all works myself but that was just my experience.

That wasn't my experience. As I'm on iOS, I bought the $30 1st gen Moto G per another suggestion on the site and downloaded the APK directly from DJI's site. That phone has no service of any kind and it worked just fine with my Phantom 3. The only thing I can think of is that it may have been connected to my WiFi but I was pretty far away from it in the front yard that it would have been with 0 bar or 1 bar at best. I can report that the live stream came in crisp & clear without any interruption I would have expected had it rely on any data plan. Not sure how that all works myself but that was just my experience.

we were referring to living streaming to youtube or facebook, not the feed from the camera to the monitor

Reactions: phuocsandiego
we were referring to living streaming to youtube or facebook, not the feed from the camera to the monitor

Ah, I understand. Sorry for the confusion. As a first time owner, I'm just absolutely thrilled with the P3 Professional and am extremely impressed by the technology. I took my very first flight & video yesterday and it was just awesome!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How you cache map in to Android WIFI device? Should I first activate map cache somehow?

Ah, I understand. Sorry for the confusion. As a first time owner, I'm just absolutely thrilled with the P3 Professional and am extremely impressed by the technology. I took my very first flight & video yesterday and it was just awesome!

It is awesome... welcome to the club - I am a newbie also and my excitement never wanes... one word of caution from past experience... I would be careful how I fly in your neighbourhood - it is my experience that neighbors are very wary of UAV's flying over... I have even had folks fire at my bird - even though it was at 300 ft and you couldn't make out faces - I see a large open area close to you... try that brother... have fun, fly safe... my last flight:

Oh man, you need to read up on where you can fly your bird. Find a park or open space. How close were you flying to electrical wires? Your neighbors house? Cars on the street? Dude, don't, repeat don't, fly in your neighborhood.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.