Dji repair sent back wrong drone?

Independent Authorized DJI Repair Facilities like auto dealerships, do not charge for warranty repairs, and the two I have spoken with so far have a better labor rate than DJI when you DO have to write the check.
I do not believe they do Warranty Work...I contacted one about my fan and he said no warranty work.

The whole story of what happened to you sucks!
Same thing for me. Sent in my perfectly working FAA N-Numbered bird with a small hairline crack near motor, still on warranty. They sent back a refurb with a different serial number, so I lost my N-number which was a hassle of paperwork and money to get! Now I need to cancel the N-number with the FAA before they send out my aircraft to someone else who crashes it. What a p.i.t.a.! (also I included a letter telling them I needed the aircraft with specific serial number back fixed or not, on the initial request online, in the shipping box, and taped to the body of the drone. Obviously nobody read that!)
DJI sucks, I was thinking of buying an Inspire2 but have second thoughts now as that is a lot of money to invest into a company that does not care about it's customer.
Now I think I will use this refurb until it too cracks or has some unknown problem, then give up my 107 and find something else to do with my time. Looks like our idiot congress will pass some bad drone laws allowing stupid cities and states to make up all kinds of new rules that are different from one town to the next, making it impossible to fly or do business anyhow.

The whole story of what happened to you sucks!
Same thing for me. Sent in my perfectly working FAA N-Numbered bird with a small hairline crack near motor, still on warranty. They sent back a refurb with a different serial number, so I lost my N-number which was a hassle of paperwork and money to get! Now I need to cancel the N-number with the FAA before they send out my aircraft to someone else who crashes it. What a p.i.t.a.! (also I included a letter telling them I needed the aircraft with specific serial number back fixed or not, on the initial request online, in the shipping box, and taped to the body of the drone. Obviously nobody read that!)
DJI sucks, I was thinking of buying an Inspire2 but have second thoughts now as that is a lot of money to invest into a company that does not care about it's customer.
Now I think I will use this refurb until it too cracks or has some unknown problem, then give up my 107 and find something else to do with my time. Looks like our idiot congress will pass some bad drone laws allowing stupid cities and states to make up all kinds of new rules that are different from one town to the next, making it impossible to fly or do business anyhow.
There's one bright side to the story you evidently got a refurb that works most of us srent even getting that

There's one bright side to the story you evidently got a refurb that works most of us srent even getting that
Well still need to fly more to determine that! I hope that you are right and it does work. But so far so good. I really hope that you end up with a good working aircraft. I feel your pain.

I just got notice that my drone HAS BEEN REPAIRED and will be sent back in 3 days..This means they are going to pop a different drone in the box and send it to me and hope it works.

Does any of you have a Twitter account? You can communicate to DJI support directly in Twitter. They seen to care a lot that they will go above and beyond to fix any problem.

I just got notice that my drone HAS BEEN REPAIRED and will be sent back in 3 days..This means they are going to pop a different drone in the box and send it to me and hope it works.
I'm a bit concerned also. My P4P was just repaired for the infamous gimbal vibration issue. It just arrived from DJI at home, I saw UPS deliver it using my Ring Doorbell. However I'm at work wondering if they updated my firmware too, or just swapped the camera gimbal h/w. Fortunately the paperwork says they didn't swap the craft, like the last 3 times I had a warranty claim. The email says they shipped back the same serial number craft that I sent them, so that's good. But I worry about them updating my firmware. I'll know tonight when I get home.

Does any of you have a Twitter account? You can communicate to DJI support directly in Twitter. They seen to care a lot that they will go above and beyond to fix any problem.

Hard to believe this reading the lack of care when speaking to dji care by phone and in my experience online chat. Why would they care via twitter?

Hard to believe this reading the lack of care when speaking to dji care by phone and in my experience online chat. Why would they care via twitter?

You'd be surprised at companies responding on twitter. That's the first thing I do and I get a response within an hour. Then I chat directly via DM. It's kind of become the de facto standard of customer service. Plus they don't want bad rap being spread.

True, but does it change the outcome that many have commented here. Stories of sending in good condition drones for fix and getting back a noticeable different used drone with other issues etc. so while dji may respond I don't think it changes the outcome. I don't think the issue is dji not responding, it's the care and due diligence they lack when fixing drones under warranty etc. I hope that day does not come soon for me.

With a drone, it's even more important that it be reliable and safe! I sure care, and I'm sure most do, too! I would not buy a drone that I knew had been crashed and repaired. I fly over salt water for at least 50% of each of my flights. A system failure because of a poor repair or an overlooked major hidden defect that won't show up until flight number 10 is unacceptable, when the aircraft replacement cost exceeds $1000 and the camera assembly alone is $699! :eek:
Well said!

My drone is due back tomorrow from service. Curious to see what they send me now.
Good luck! I just got the email that my Bird is "finished repair" . It stated it will be shipped back in 3 working days.
It was under repair, 1st step for 4 days until today when I called and talk to a supervisor in Carson. He stated that MY bird was being repaired and that MY bird would be sent back to me. A few hours after that I got the email I talked about above.
I sent mine in for stress cracks around all 4 under arm vents. It was free under warranty
3489a21dd8f8c0ab2a58371c5281790b.jpg

Another thing I thought of while reading through these 11 or so pages. If you are out a drone in repair for a month or more , why doesn't our warranty get extended that amount of time?

Good luck! I just got the email that my Bird is "finished repair" . It stated it will be shipped back in 3 working days.
It was under repair, 1st step for 4 days until today when I called and talk to a supervisor in Carson. He stated that MY bird was being repaired and that MY bird would be sent back to me. A few hours after that I got the email I talked about above.
I sent mine in for stress cracks around all 4 under arm vents. It was free under warranty
3489a21dd8f8c0ab2a58371c5281790b.jpg

Another thing I thought of while reading through these 11 or so pages. If you are out a drone in repair for a month or more , why doesn't our warranty get extended that amount of time?
I believe you can argue that issue and get extension. Based on your problem I'm betting they send you a different drone back then your original. Check the serial when it comes back.

I believe you can argue that issue and get extension. Based on your problem I'm betting they send you a different drone back then your original. Check the serial when it comes back.
Oh, I definitely will check the serial number! I will report back when I receive

I'm a bit concerned also. My P4P was just repaired for the infamous gimbal vibration issue. It just arrived from DJI at home, I saw UPS deliver it using my Ring Doorbell. However I'm at work wondering if they updated my firmware too, or just swapped the camera gimbal h/w. Fortunately the paperwork says they didn't swap the craft, like the last 3 times I had a warranty claim. The email says they shipped back the same serial number craft that I sent them, so that's good. But I worry about them updating my firmware. I'll know tonight when I get home.

Updating is easy. Just do like I told you.

Regarding the RC, chances are they hooked it up to a diagnostics machine and when they did it flashes the firmware to the latest.

Keep in mind how fast they have to turn these repaired crafts around. It must be a mad house in their facility. Honestly, I'm surprised the P4P didn't come back with the latest firmware installed too.

Well they sent back the same bad refurb they sent me last time. Gimbal is still making noise when idling and moving on it's own. Haven't flown it yet but with the camera moving at will I don't expect much. This will be the 3rd return 5 weeks of this. To think I sent them a perfect drone that just needed a new fan and this is where I'm at. Also when I hooked it up the settings were all my custom settings so I suspect they did nothing but turn this around in 10 days and send back.

Last edited:
Updating is easy. Just do like I told you.

Regarding the RC, chances are they hooked it up to a diagnostics machine and when they did it flashes the firmware to the latest.

Keep in mind how fast they have to turn these repaired crafts around. It must be a mad house in their facility. Honestly, I'm surprised the P4P didn't come back with the latest firmware installed too.

DJI updating the RC didn't make any sense to me, there was nothing wrong with it having 1.4.0. The problem was in the gimbal, a hardware problem, but I'm also amazed and relieved they didn't put 1.4.602 in the craft, whew. No way I'm upgrading anytime soon.

I mentioned the RC firmware upgrade to Bladestrike, wondering if there was something critically wrong with 1.4.0 RC firmware, enough to compel DJI service to spend the extra time it took to update, when it was working just fine. Apparently he didn't think it was needed either, and is asking the repair dept to justify the extra time spent, just out of curiosity. The craft flies fine with the RC running with 1.4.1 firmware, and the craft on 1.3.0506 firmware (mismatched), so I'm not too concerned.

Well they sent back the same bad refurb they sent me last time. Gimbal is still making noise when idling and moving on it's own. Haven't flown it yet but with the camera moving at will I don't expect much. This will be the 3rd return 5 weeks of this. To think I sent them a perfect drone that just needed a new fan and this is where I'm at. Also when I hooked it up the settings were all my custom settings so I suspect they did nothing but turn this around in 10 days and send back.

For what it's worth, you may want to try calibrating the gimbal, using the new two axis method. Calibrate with the craft balanced upright, pointing up. It will balance on the motors if you're on a flat level surface. After that calibration, calibrate the gimbal again with it level, on the same level surface. This might help, but not sure, just something to try.

If that doesn't help, I'd definitely elevate this to a supervisor level. This just isn't right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12