Dji repair sent back wrong drone?

So I set my drone in because the fan stopped working in the gimbal it was received and then went through the process where it said repaired tested etc. and they ship it back to me total of about three weeks.

Today I open the package and I have a drone with a different serial number that has the camera off center to the left when my drone didn't have a problem is this a mistake or are they sending refurbished for warranty repair what do I do???

Three weeks wasted. My drone was in perfect condition and worked great. Now I have an off center camera. So far.

By the way they had my drone for 10 days before sending this wrong one.

Brian

A note to everybody - Next time you need repairs send it to DRONENERDS.COM
I was turned on to these guys by another PP member, and since I have mailed my P3A into them I have gotten 3 emails from them - one at every single step in the process.
Of course they haven't finished working on it yet (they just got it yesterday) so I don't know the quality of the work. But if their communication with me is any indicator, then it should be fine.

At least I won't have to worry about all the nightmares I hear about DJI Repairs.

Reactions: KCadby
My P4P flew well, camera worked great, no problems other than a crack in the upper shell.
They sent me a quote that included everything EXCEPT the upper shell, attached.
It was only 3 weeks old so sent it back in it's original foam case and original box. It came back in the same boxing but contained a P4P with a much older SIN. I called long distance to California to ask why all that stuff needed replacing when it just had a shell crack.
I got blown off with the 'we can repair or replace' but no answer why I'm paying $339 for all the damage done to someone else's P4P when I just needed an upper shell which is not even listed on the parts. The BS estimate attached.
Something is really wrong with DJI's California service. If I knew in advance, I would have just bought the shell.

Attachments

• invoice.PNG
    invoice.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 223
I had the me problem... sent in my new P3Std because the motors were whistling. Just wanted to be cautious.. I only flew it three months and never crashed it. I wanted to keep it that way. In it's place I got a beat up box (instead of the brand new box mine was in)... different serial number... the gimbal guard was off and the white rubber vibration dampener was pulled out of the top. They kept my new drone and sent me this thing obviously had it's legs banged up from a hard landing/crash and the motors on this POS were screaming. I recalibrated the IMU, recalibrated the gimbal and compass. I was able to put the rubber mount back in.......hower on test flights.... It hoovered, pulsated up and down..... from eye level to the ground (in gps moe) and up to 6 feet away.... the bird hoovered with one corner hanging down...... zero wind. I sent it back... it only took them one or two days to fix it.... it's on it's way back... I'd bet I get the same piece of junk with the rubber mount tucked in. I'll sent it right back if that's the case. Talk about bait and switch.... take your new drone and give you a clunker.... Buyer beware. Since that time I purchased another P4P and have insurance from State Farm. Full replacement if it's lost or crashed.... best 60 bucks I've ever spent.

Attachments

• Hovers Off Kilter.JPG
    Hovers Off Kilter.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 199
I sent my phantom 4 pro in for a "gimbal error". It took 5 days to get there and 5 days to get back. They had it in repair for 4 days so a total of two weeks. I was ready to give them a glowing response until I opened the box and same issue as you. Different serial number and gimbal bent to left. Seriously? The bent gimbal arm was obvious ! No one checked this ? I called and they told me the drone was brand new. I said really ? No stickers anywhere on the drone ? It was a refurbished drone. Well anyway. Sent back in again. Let's see what I get this time.

They got my CRAP replacement back in California and sent me an estimate to repair it...can you believe it? I sent my perfect drone in for Warranty repair to replace the giimbal fan. They sent me back a broken down piece of garbage that didn't work and I send it back they send me a repair estimate for a replacement camera and gimbal. Another 3 hours on the phone to straighten out..Fun fun fun.

NOTE TO EVERYONE. DJI has the "we are the only game in town syndrome". They feel that they can do what they please and we just have to take it. When everyone starts having their drones repaired somewhere else, they will wake up.
Although this can't apply to warranty work... kind of stuck there.
Moral of the story... have your drone repaired somewhere else.

They got my CRAP replacement back in California and sent me an estimate to repair it...can you believe it? I sent my perfect drone in for Warranty repair to replace the giimbal fan. They sent me back a broken down piece of garbage that didn't work and I send it back they send me a repair estimate for a replacement camera and gimbal. Another 3 hours on the phone to straighten out..Fun fun fun.
Man you have been the poster child for DJI Food Me Over and Ova and Ova!! That really does suck. Really starting to think I should have found another hobby back in February!!

Well that causes many problems. Box has one serial bird the other. Problem when selling just got insurance with old serial. Receipt has original serial and now with new serial companies won't insure. Many problems.
You should not have any problems if you have State Farm Insurance. I explained the situation to my agent's receptionist. She did not hesitate accessing my policy on her computer.

I have State Farm policy $50 and DJI Refresh so I'm covered this time if the drone is unrecoverable. My new Best Buy bird is amazing, no issues...When I get the bird back from DJI I will keep for back up or sell.

Here's a snippet from tonights FIreworks in Philadelphia..Camera settings are 4K 30fps Auto -

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil56 and picky
I have State Farm policy $50 and DJI Refresh so I'm covered this time if the drone is unrecoverable. My new Best Buy bird is amazing, no issues...When I get the bird back from DJI I will keep for back up or sell.

Here's a snippet from tonights FIreworks in Philadelphia..Camera settings are 4K 30fps Auto -

If this video was taken with a drone, how did you get the sound?

Crap my bad, super big Sorry! Should have not applied the Evelyn Woodhead sped reading skills when reading your post...
Evelyn is rolling over in her grave! You must not have done your required one hour a day of homework during the class! ;) Your lifetime membership would help, but, alas, no more EWRD classes are to be found! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm thinking the refurbished drones actually get tested after repair to insure the flaw has indeed been fixed. So theoretically refurbs might have a higher acceptance quality upon receipt by customers, versus regular production units that are obviously not tested after being manufactured, given the high rate of initial flaws upon purchase. DJI Cerritos must be a nightmare I'm thinking. I can only imagine what the return pile to China looks like. However, their drones are still THE BEST!
Unfortunately, there is lots of anecdotal information that repaired units are not properly tested before shipping, especially if a refurb is sent out instead. Many have discovered that the aircraft they sent in for one issue is returned to them with either the same issue, or even more issues! I also purchased a new DJI factory refurbished P4 directly from DroneNerds, and, during a battery mod, had the installer, whom I trust, told me he discovered that several screw holes were stripped, which meant that the aircraft was not properly reassembled after refurbishment by DJI! :eek:

Last edited:
Not sure what mine was. Refurb to me is almost factory fresh. What I got was clearly used. Dirty. Worn landing gear. Original firmware so nowhere close to equal or greater value. My original sent in was in great shape.

Not sure what mine was. Refurb to me is almost factory fresh. What I got was clearly used. Dirty. Worn landing gear. Original firmware so nowhere close to equal or greater value. My original sent in was in great shape.
Given the terrible quality control on the new units (bought new 10 P4P's and only one was decent, with 9 being returned for multiple defects), my biggest fear in sending an otherwise good unit in for a very specific issue, is that it will be replaced by another random bad unit with worse problems! Who wants some else's crashed, repaired drone with hidden issues that won't show up until the warranty is up, after sending in a never crashed one with a gimbal that went bad after 30 flights? :rolleyes:

This is why I tried everything to find a replacement fan but couldn't. The $3 fan comes on the camera gimbal assembly for $600

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus