Dji phantom 4 pro (Yaw motor and flexible ribbon cable) replacement.

I went ahead and switched it out because I didn’t want to have to break it all back down, it worked great! There was some markings on the inside of both magnet cups (squirrel cage?) that made me think it MIGHT have worked either way. They were like clocking/calibrating marks and they matched. Oh well
afa3bda9e7a9d0a667a37bd10ae76da4.jpg

I went ahead and switched it out because I didn’t want to have to break it all back down, it worked great! There was some markings on the inside of both magnet cups (squirrel cage?) that made me think it MIGHT have worked either way. They were like clocking/calibrating marks and they matched. Oh well
afa3bda9e7a9d0a667a37bd10ae76da4.jpg
I have replaced about 40 of these and I always have to use the old casing. I am working with Jiminyfixit on this issue and we have concluded that every casing is different. If you find one that is the same it is just luck. I got one from a customer that the casing was destroyed ( by the customer) and I tried 20 different yaw motors and none of them centered perfectly. I had to go with one that came close.

Reactions: Johnny-Don
I added cc for those of you that have trouble understanding me. Those of you that can translate my cc English to another language, feel free to do so on YouTube.
A huge thanks to you Ted4797 !!! You save me with your video showing how to open gimbal's motor. Now, everything is fine and my camera is fixing right ahead! I passed last week asking on all worldwide forum how to fix my yaw issue and your thread is the only one that explain clearly the process. I hope you'll make a lot of other video like this one!
All my best,
Olivier

A huge thanks to you Ted4797 !!! You save me with your video showing how to open gimbal's motor. Now, everything is fine and my camera is fixing right ahead! I passed last week asking on all worldwide forum how to fix my yaw issue and your thread is the only one that explain clearly the process. I hope you'll make a lot of other video like this one!
All my best,
Olivier
You are welcome. Did the CC help?

I didn't notice that there was a CC ! Never mind, your voice is clear and understandable for my poor english level...
I don't understand why shop that sell yaw motor doesn't advice that it's impossible to change motor without the process you explain.

I have done the same yaw motor replacement, after a crash, swapped the housings, 2 new ribbon cables tried, but yaw and roll are still dead.

Pitch works at power up, gos up and down then stays down. The yaw/roll esc is warm to the touch so I know it has power.

What is the next step, which component is bad?

from my experience it could be any one of the motors. They all have the same sensors as the Yaw. If you remove them and inspect the senors you may find the bad one. Or it could be the esc could also be bad. Did you inspect the new yaw for scratches on the sensors? New is not always new on EBay.
If you wanted to send the camera to me I would check it out. I can give you an estimate for repair and if it can't be repaired I would just send it back at no charge except for $10 shipping. I have every motor and the esc boards.

from my experience it could be any one of the motors. They all have the same sensors as the Yaw. If you remove them and inspect the senors you may find the bad one. Or it could be the esc could also be bad. Did you inspect the new yaw for scratches on the sensors? New is not always new on EBay.
If you wanted to send the camera to me I would check it out. I can give you an estimate for repair and if it can't be repaired I would just send it back at no charge except for $10 shipping. I have every motor and the esc boards.

Thank you for your reply!
I have fixed my fair share of phantoms and other drones, but not having a pile of known good parts makes it a real guessing game. I am a Vet and worked 15 years as a machinist, so my back ground is to not easily give up on any thing. So before wisdom gets the better of me and I send the gimbal out to some one who already has the parts and know how to fix it...here is what I have tried so far.

Replacing the yaw arm did not go smoothly as the arm I ordered from amazon must not have been of the highest quality, the center recess for the yaw motor to align was off center from the screw holes such that only one screw hole would line up at a time. I ended up enlarging the motor recess to the point where the screw holes mostly lined up again.

This maybe the point where I shot myself in the foot. After tightening the motor screws the motor did not seat perfectly to the yaw arm. I put the assembly in the vise to try and gently encourage a better seat. I heard a single popping sound and though it was just the motor seating in to place. Maybe the popping sound was the sound of something in the yaw motor breaking.

I checked the motor leads for continuity, the three large pads on the ribbon have all make a circuit between one another as they should. I even tried using an gimbal esc from a phantom 4, but still no response from either the yaw or roll motors. In desperation I tried a second gimbal ribbon and even did a firmware update.

I did swap the yaw housing, but did not see any thing that jumped out at me as being off, no obvious damage.

If only one motor is bad, would both the roll and yaw motors fail to work?

Also, where would I be shipping this gimbal to when reason sets in?

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 311
I can confirm the fix for this situation. I repair these often,..........
I built my own press out of steel, to function as a press in order to change these parts easily. But, it can be done with a bench vise and a chisel, ...................
Preston,
Old thread but ... Did you mean to bench vise and punch? If you did use a chisel, can you explain how? Just guessing someone might read this and try and use a chisel like a wedge and pry the motor apart.
Ken

Just an addendum to this thread.

When ordering the flex cable, it's recommended to get the Genuine DJI part.
And then - be sure to get the correct DJI part.
This is where the confusion comes in and apparently, this is a common issue.

The Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro & Advance all use DJI Spare Part #36.
As everyone knows, the cameras on these models are different.

THE FLEX CABLES ARE DIFFERENT TOO

Notice the extra "branch" on one leg of the P4 ribbon..

To the best of my knowledge -
Get the "Phantom 4 Pro Spare Part #36" for use on Phantom 4 Pro V1 & V2 and Phantom 4 Advance.
Get the "Phantom 4 Spare Part #36" for use on Phantom 4.

p4.JPG

P4P flex cable.JPG

p41.JPG

p42.JPG

p43.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga