Dji phantom 4 pro (Yaw motor and flexible ribbon cable) replacement.

Reaction score
Replacement Flexible cabel and Yaw motor.

After the fall of Phantom 4 pro the train and Yaw motor were replaced. After turning on, I found that the camera turned to the right. Began to calibrate using Dji assistan 2. After calibration, it was written that everything went well. But still after turning on the camera rotates 30 degrees to the right and does not move. Manually put it directly, but after a few seconds, she returns to her position. Somebody came across this. I understand you need to calibrate the motor itself? Or am I m

I'm in same situation.. posted some weeks ago about the motor replacement, but, still waiting somebody to help-me with this!
I read in some place (don't remember where), that If you replace any gimbal motor, you need to calibrate the motor (open the motor and change something inside, like a magnet)...
but I don't remember where I see this, and don't found anymore

I can confirm the fix for this situation. I repair these often, and learned the hard way with the first one i ran across.

The yaw motor is essentially calibrated to the Phantom 4 uniquely and cannot be re-calibrated with the DJI assistant 2 software or though the Go 4 app (The gimbal calibration through the Go 4 app does NOT calibrate the yaw motor center. There is also an adjustment option in the Go 4 app that is misleading, it does not allow for yaw adjustment). I assume the magnetic can part of the motor must have a certain sequence inside it that the control boards are able to sense as "center" (maybe a magnet facing a different magnetic direction that the windings can sense in between pulses, or a sensing component embedded at the circuit board?).

If you replace the yaw motor on any Phantom 4, to guarantee yaw center after the repair, you must press off the metal can portion of the old motor, and transfer it to the new yaw motor. Usually this is just fine, since the old motor is usually damaged at the attached ribbon cable or the stator, windings, shaft or circuit board. If the metal can is damaged or the magnets are shattered, you may not be able to fix it properly. I have had success transferring and reusing the can portion of the motor even with some chips out of the magnets.

I built my own press out of steel, to function as a press in order to change these parts easily. But, it can be done with a bench vise and a chisel, sort of like in the video linked above.

It's too bad there is not currently a way to get around this (that I know of), since it seems a change in the software should allow for this type of calibration. I would assume DJI is not too interested in this deep of diagnostic assistance though.

-Preston.

I feel like I read about one guy who glued his magnet back together and transferred it... Can't find the link though. Anybody have any of the metal brackets that attach to the yaw motor that they'd be willing to part with?

I can confirm the fix for this situation. I repair these often, and learned the hard way with the first one i ran across.

The yaw motor is essentially calibrated to the Phantom 4 uniquely and cannot be re-calibrated with the DJI assistant 2 software or though the Go 4 app (The gimbal calibration through the Go 4 app does NOT calibrate the yaw motor center. There is also an adjustment option in the Go 4 app that is misleading, it does not allow for yaw adjustment). I assume the magnetic can part of the motor must have a certain sequence inside it that the control boards are able to sense as "center" (maybe a magnet facing a different magnetic direction that the windings can sense in between pulses, or a sensing component embedded at the circuit board?).

If you replace the yaw motor on any Phantom 4, to guarantee yaw center after the repair, you must press off the metal can portion of the old motor, and transfer it to the new yaw motor. Usually this is just fine, since the old motor is usually damaged at the attached ribbon cable or the stator, windings, shaft or circuit board. If the metal can is damaged or the magnets are shattered, you may not be able to fix it properly. I have had success transferring and reusing the can portion of the motor even with some chips out of the magnets.

I built my own press out of steel, to function as a press in order to change these parts easily. But, it can be done with a bench vise and a chisel, sort of like in the video linked above.

It's too bad there is not currently a way to get around this (that I know of), since it seems a change in the software should allow for this type of calibration. I would assume DJI is not too interested in this deep of diagnostic assistance though.

-Preston.

what kind of magnets ?? maybe I'll find it for you. magnets like in the engine?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

About 35:20 in that vid, he's sticking the flex cable to a metal bracket that attaches to the yaw motor, that's what I'm looking for.

MADISON ARENA DRON SERVICE!!!
Thank you very much for your advice !! I disassembled my new motor and changed the magnetic base with a broken motor. and then everything was put in place and turned on. and now the camera works as expected. But I want to say for the future if anyone will change since I am. Carefully remove the motor because you can damage the magnet. It happened to me. Have a nice day, everyone ))

Attachments

• 20170930_204440.jpg
    20170930_204440.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 608
  • 20170930_204425.jpg
    20170930_204425.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 551
  • 20170930_203927.jpg
    20170930_203927.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 873
  • 20170930_203907.jpg
    20170930_203907.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 725
Kirill boston
NewMADISON ARENA DRON SERVICE!!!
Thank you very much for your advice !! I disassembled my new motor and changed the magnetic base with a broken motor. and then everything was put in place and turned on. and now the camera works as expected. But I want to say for the future if anyone will change since I am. Carefully remove the motor because you can damage the magnet. It happened to me. Have a nice day, everyone ))

this is one and the same detail. Only in the first picture it is dismantled. This is the engine. At its base is a magnet

Glad I came across this, as I am replacing the yaw motor on my P4 pro when it comes in Friday... The ebay seller said that this was an "OEM P4 Pro" motor, does that make a difference at all? I'm guessing not. Mine is the "New style" motor that isn't round on the back bracket.
Gimbal Yaw Motor NEW version for DJI Phantom 4&4 pro GENUINE DJI OEM PART USA | eBay

EDIT:
I came accross this on the DJI forums. It's possible that they have updated firmware/software to correct this issue now? Would love for someone in the know to inform me. If I don't hear back by the time my Yaw motor arrives, I will install it as received and see if it's a viable option now, and report back. I was just trying to save myself the re-disassembly if what's listed at the end of this DJI forum post didn't work.
Gimble yaw centering in softwaresimilar to roll ajdustment

Last edited:
I did a YouTube video sometime ago on how to do this. I posted it on the forum.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Glad I came across this, as I am replacing the yaw motor on my P4 pro when it comes in Friday... The ebay seller said that this was an "OEM P4 Pro" motor, does that make a difference at all? I'm guessing not. Mine is the "New style" motor that isn't round on the back bracket.
Gimbal Yaw Motor NEW version for DJI Phantom 4&4 pro GENUINE DJI OEM PART USA | eBay

EDIT:
I came accross this on the DJI forums. It's possible that they have updated firmware/software to correct this issue now? Would love for someone in the know to inform me. If I don't hear back by the time my Yaw motor arrives, I will install it as received and see if it's a viable option now, and report back. I was just trying to save myself the re-disassembly if what's listed at the end of this DJI forum post didn't work.
Gimble yaw centering in softwaresimilar to roll ajdustment
No change by dji. Follow the instructions in my video

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic