DJI Phantom 4 fall from 500m altitude RAW footage from phone FPV

What is the reason this thing happen on my DJI Phantom 4?

• Vortex Ring State

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Battery Fail

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Electromagnetic Field

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Signal Loss

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Others

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if you see the last part of the video seem splice its because lost contact for several second,
here its the footage from the drone
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Isn't it just a matter of time till this happens to all of us? It would seem the odds of major hardware failure being 100% at some point whether its the first flight or the 500th.

Shouldn't have been that high anyways....

Wow! I just purchased a Phantom 4. What would be a safe altitude for my bird. The Phantom is new for me thought I've been flying various drones for some time.

Isn't it just a matter of time till this happens to all of us? It would seem the odds of major hardware failure being 100% at some point whether its the first flight or the 500th.

Yes. Essentially these are consumer grade Chinese toys.

Curious though it fell level indicating it was not a failed motor/ESC/prop.

Loss of one rotor on this quad will produce uncontrolled tumble.

Last edited:
Yes. Essentially these are consumer grade Chinese toys.

Curious though it fell level indicating it was not a failed motor/ESC/prop.

Loss of one rotor on this quad will produce uncontrolled tumble.

Seems as though all motors shut down and not just one. That would up the odds of pilot error.

Reactions: DeadGrunt
All motors shutting down would produce an uncontrolled tumble as well.

Reactions: DeadGrunt
I don't agree on this one. One, there is no reason to be that high (first of all). Two, how much moisture may have been in the air with the dark clouds, and winds up there? It looked to me like it was more of a too fast pilot descent, which the motors could not gain enough lift after coming down too fast.

If it were a failed motor, it would not have maintained the even camera view as it fell. But more of a tumbling out-of-control spin, not the gravitational rotation. Unlike true-helicopters that have the auto-cyclic rotation when they lose power, these aircraft do not, and can't control their descent. I would like to see the HealthyDrones report to see the data. I think he was trying to come down too fast.

Before everyone tells me I am full of crap, play the video and watch between the from 1:54 to 1:55 mark. The structures below change very quickly. If this were a continuous video, it would not go to different views of buildings, unless he shut off the camera, and started to record again. If that happened, it was after changing the azimuth for the flight and recorded all within 1 second. I don't see how you could do all that to include starting and stopping the video, and maintaining a straight non-turning descent.

I guess the good part is that it didn't hurt anyone.

Reactions: bwhaler11
Seems as though all motors shut down and not just one. That would up the odds of pilot error.
****, you guys beat me to the punch, but look at my reply, and then the video at the 1:54 to 1:55 mark. The video appears to "splice" into one, but changes.

Gonna go out on a limb here.....

This was pilot error all the way. Watching the video and reading 1/2 the comments.

There was no AC failure. The AC was in a RTH state. The pilot then gained control back before it hit the ground.

Gonna go out on a limb here.....

This was pilot error all the way. Watching the video and reading 1/2 the comments.

There was no AC failure. The AC was in a RTH state. The pilot then gained control back before it hit the ground.
Take a look at the 1:54 to 1:55 section of the video and see if how it changes looks normal

If you click the link for youtube he has a longer video from the drone. He claims it just lost signal and came down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31