DJI Phantom 3 Standard - Photos not sharp/blurry

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im new to this forum (and new to the DJI photography) and I just want to ask if you guys have any tips and tricks how to get as much as possible out of DJI Phantom 3 Standard camera. I just took a lot of pictures and all of them are really blurry when you open them in Photoshop and zoom a little bit (I attached one sample also below). Everything was on auto and the lens was clear. Also I took in JPEG and RAW format. Light was also good.

I dont know if this is how it supposed to be but it is not that good in my opinion.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @minghags

Your "Sample" image is broken and not appearing. You might need to revisit that link.

Ok ive uploaded it to cloud (its https without a "real" certificate, dont be afraid :)):

Last edited:
@minghags,

Cloud is not working.

Did you get it off the SD card?

How large is the file?

Just by the "Post Reply". Pick "Upload a file". Don't use the picture button by the smiles.

Rod

Yes I got it from SD card.

The JPG file is attached, RAW file is too big to upload here.

Attachments

• DJI_0038.JPG
    DJI_0038.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 972
Hey your picture shows up now. :)
Looks kinda blurry. ;)
Reminds me of low light?

Rod

From EXIF data, the ISO was 100 and the Shutter Speed ~1/3000 of a second, so plenty of light. But I agree it's blurry, in particular on the right side of the image.
Is it a new P3S or you bought it used? Have you ever crashed it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I bought a new one from Amazon.de and never crashed it... So its kind of weird... I still have time to return it till 25th of February, what do you guys suggest? And get a new one...

If you can, post a couple other full-size photos, possibly in different light conditions, and a full-size screenshot of a video taken at 2.7K. The P3S doesn't take exceptional photos, but what worries me about the one photo you showed us, is that the left side of the picture seems sharper than the right, almost as if the sensor is not perfectly aligned (parallel) with the lens.
Here's a photo from my P3S (full Auto, ISO 100, 1/2331s):

2017-09-23 13-08-14.jpg

If you display it at full-size, you see that it's not that great, but once you resize it to 1920x1080, it's actually not that bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: minghags and RodPad
Thank you for helping me with this one. Im attaching couple of photos more and the "DJI_0044_16 Feb 2018 at 07.56.09.png" one is a snapshot from a video.

Attachments

• DJI_0041.JPG
    DJI_0041.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 743
  • DJI_0044_16 Feb 2018 at 07.56.09.png
    DJI_0044_16 Feb 2018 at 07.56.09.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 714
  • DJI_0054.JPG
    DJI_0054.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 762
  • DJI_0102.JPG
    DJI_0102.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 673
  • DJI_0126.JPG
    DJI_0126.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 674
  • DJI_0137-2.JPG
    DJI_0137-2.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 604
  • DJI_0137.JPG
    DJI_0137.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 712
  • DJI_0151.JPG
    DJI_0151.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 662
The last snapshot was not from 2.7k but this one is :) Thanks guys again for the help.

Attachments

• DJI_0152_16 Feb 2018 at 08.08.34.png
    DJI_0152_16 Feb 2018 at 08.08.34.png
    4 MB · Views: 600
I don't have a definite answer, hopefully other forum members will look at your photos and give you an opinion. Some photos seem worse than others but they look generally more blurry than what I would expect. Take the photo of the church, for example: the tiles in the upper-left corner of the roof are much sharper than the bottom right...
If it's not going to cost you anything to return it and get another one from Amazon, I would probably lean toward going this route.

Yes I ordered a new one and will return this one. Lets see if the new one is ok :) Thanks

Just wanted to ask, is DJI Phantom 3 Professional worth 300$ more? I just want them for taking pictures. I dont care about the video.

Can't say about the P3P vs. P3S, as I never even considered the P3P.

If you're completely new to drones, the P3S is an excellent choice, in my opinion. It might not have the best camera around but it's more than reasonable, stabilization is absolutely amazing, and people get excellent shots out of it (even better if you're good with post-processing and know how to extract the maximum from the camera sensor).
A good photographer with an average camera will always take better photos than an average photographer with a good camera.

Couple of quick questions:

- if it's new did you remove the film that covers the lens? Easy one to miss. And also the funny foam insert that DJI put for transportation.

- if you take landscape photos with the drone on the ground whilst it's not spinning the props (get someone to hold it up) do they come out better? Props could be introducing vibes.

Couple of quick questions:

- if it's new did you remove the film that covers the lens? Easy one to miss. And also the funny foam insert that DJI put for transportation.

- if you take landscape photos with the drone on the ground whilst it's not spinning the props (get someone to hold it up) do they come out better? Props could be introducing vibes.

There was no film or any foam when package came, just DJI protective cover (just this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images...12_phantom_2_gimbal_holder_camera_1060859.jpg).

Drone was up I the air with props spinning... But I already returned it and the new one should come tomorrow. So we will see if its any better.

Thanks for all the help for now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic