DJI Phantom 3 Fly Away

Why? Presumable because you feel that ritual will make you "safer".
There is no need to recalibrate the IMU before each flight.
Most Phantoms never need an IMU calibration.
And there's no need to calibrate the compass every flight either.
This kind of over calibration is anti-safety as it just increases the potential for getting a bad calibration every time you do it.
Rather than superstitious actions, simply reading the manual is a much more effective method to ensure safe flight.

The manual does not provide the information you have provided here. Not sure why you are shouting him down. Relax

That's not logic and it's not simple .. it's ridiculous.
When you remove the props, you hold a motor and turn the prop.
There's no way it would put any pressure on the shell.
Your theory is nonsense.

Nonsense? Whatever man. On and off on and off - that is how you brake anything.

most cases require you to take the props off before you put them in the case, taking props on and off doesn't cause shell cracks,,the only thing I can think of negative from running with the props off is if you really go crazy running the motors with the props off, they aren't getting the air they normally get, so you could overheat them (and I don't know that to be the case, its just the only thing I can think of that you could hurt by having props off)

The manual does not provide the information you have provided here
The manual is very sparse on details of many things.
But experience and understanding of Phantom flying helps fill in a lot of the blanks.
The manual doesn't even mention calibrating the IMU.
Not sure why you are shouting him down. Relax
I wasn't shouting anyone down .. but since the OP was making up his own procedures that aren't based on sound practice, in the belief that it might improve safety I was pointing out how this could actually do the opposite of what was intended for the benefit of anyone that might have thought it was a good idea.

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
Well to be fair tvckz,
it would be better said that you feel this is a cause rather than make an unsubstantiated claim.

The manual is very sparse on details of many things. But experience and understanding of Phantom flying helps fill in a lot of the blanks.
The manual doesn't even mention calibrating the IMU.

I wasn't shouting anyone down .. but since the OP was making up his own procedures that aren't based on sound practice, in the belief that it might improve safety I was pointing out how this could actually do the opposite of what was intended for the benefit of anyone that might have thought it was a good idea.

Righto. Interesting approach you have to non-experienced users there - read the manual but fill in the gaps yourself? I don't think calling him superstitious is very helpful at all.
The manual states to calibrate the compass in every new location, not that you can over calibrate. Over calibration isn't mentioned, and I'm not sure common sense would indicate such a thing is possible.

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Righto. Interesting approach you have to non-experienced users there - read the manual but fill in the gaps yourself? I don't think calling him superstitious is very helpful at all.
I didn't suggest anyone fills in the gaps themselves.
Indeed, this is exactly what I was commenting on - I was pointing out for the OP and others that might have thought his procedure was a good idea, that it isn't.
I giving him (and others reading the thread) some pointers to help fly safely.
That's what we do here - share knowledge and experience and try to correct misinformation.

I don't think calling him superstitious is very helpful at all.
The manual states to calibrate the compass in every new location, not that you can over calibrate. Over calibration isn't mentioned, and I'm not sure common sense would indicate such a thing is possible.
His actions were superstitious - that's what it is when you do things you don't understand as some sort of ritual.
And yes .. you can over calibrate the compass.
There have been quite a few cases of "calibrate every time" flyers calibrating and launching in an inappropriate area (ie with lots of steel close by) which has resulted in unmanageable flights and crashes.

it was at 15% when it went from a steady hover to a vertical climb, the controls were totally unresponsive.
How far away was your Phantom from the home point?

Do not remove propellers. It will result in shell cracks. Do not attach prop guards. Read the manual. What I can say, I am sorry man.

Hey tvckz, I think you just won an award in this forum. And yes, you should be sorry..... For spreading total nonsense that couldn't be more wrong and ignorant.

Wow!! Just another case of someone not reading and fully understanding their phantom . And to make it worse people are giving this op bad advice.

Just another case of someone not reading and fully understanding their phantom
Or... is it? The P3 is not supposed to ascend to the RTH altitude when within 20m of the home point. Some people here are claiming that's what happened though -- and, telling the OP to read the manual. Something doesn't add up.

Nonsense? Whatever man. On and off on and off - that is how you brake anything.

Come on people, tvckz has a point here. Screwing on the props and screwing them off again all the time causes wear, for instance on the prop's inner threads. It wouldn't wear down very fast I think, but he has a point. That said, I am not sure how tvckz moves around his P3 leaving the props on.

Try to think logically first, before acting like that. Read the forums.
d7c6c1jfglxtv476g.jpg

LMAO

Reactions: zincsoldier
Screwing on the props and screwing them off again all the time causes wear, for instance on the prop's inner threads.
All should be fine if you do not over tighten the props. If you're worried about putting pressure on the motors/arms when tightening or loosening the props, then hold the base of the motor while doing so. Anything is possible I guess, but I'm not going to worry about this one. I remove my props after every flight.

Now, does anyone care to comment about what the OP is actually posting about? I don't think pointing him to the manual was helpful. Per the manual, the Phantom should have landed at its current position instead of rising to the RTH altitude.

Or... is it? The P3 is not supposed to ascend to the RTH altitude when within 20m of the home point. Some people here are claiming that's what happened though -- and, telling the OP to read the manual. Something doesn't add up.
Where did the op say he was within 20 meters of his home point . Are we just assuming he was? Plus he has never shown us the flight logs or replay . So that tells me the phantom did exactly like it was suppose to and he's now probably reading the manual . And probably is thinking o crap I should've read this first.

Where did the op say he was within 20 meters of his home point . Are we just assuming he was?
He did not say. That's why I asked him. It seems everyone is just assuming they know all of the details. The OP has not given us enough information though.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Logic is simple. Plastic is very thin. Any pressure and it will be enough.
You are right. Donating my p3 to the museum at Dulles airport today. No way can it continue to suffer the forces of flight. I mean geesh.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: ctp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr