DJI Phantom 3 Fly Away

I saw a guy in the park putting his props on with the provided wrench, and he was really cranking them down, I mentioned to him that it wasn't necessary to use brute force on the props and that it would damage them. Hand snug (not tight) is plenty of force, holding the motor with the other hand. I am waiting for him to lose a prop in flight due to stripping the hub. On the other had telling everyone not to remove the props and to never use prop guards borders on paranoia.

I didn't suggest anyone fills in the gaps themselves.
Indeed, this is exactly what I was commenting on - I was pointing out for the OP and others that might have thought his procedure was a good idea, that it isn't.
I giving him (and others reading the thread) some pointers to help fly safely.
That's what we do here - share knowledge and experience and try to correct misinformation.

His actions were superstitious - that's what it is when you do things you don't understand as some sort of ritual.
And yes .. you can over calibrate the compass.
There have been quite a few cases of "calibrate every time" flyers calibrating and launching in an inappropriate area (ie with lots of steel close by) which has resulted in unmanageable flights and crashes.

Good luck with your belligerent method of 'helping'. Struth.

I think they should start handing out awards for best weekend thread or most entertaining. We could even do polls to make it democratic. I'm pretty sure this one wins for those think logically anyway and read the forums.

I have a recently purchased DJI Phantom 3 which did a "Fly Away". Anyone else have this happen to their 3 yet.. I was draining the battery to 8%, it was at 15% when it went from a steady hover to a vertical climb, the controls were totally unresponsive. The 3 climbed to no more than 30 mtrs and dropped just as fast, bouncing onto the grass on to its back, motors were still running, they responded to the shut off on the remote. I have flown extensively in this area without issue and always calibrate compass & IMU before any flight..
No. I never let my batteries go below 32%. I bring it back when it is close and as soon as the alarm goes off I land it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobmyers
Why are you flying when draining the battery? Plus never go below 10%. Best thing to do is land, remove propellers while the system is still on and run the battery down after. No risk other than overdrain of battery
Good answer! Good answer!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobmyers
I have a recently purchased DJI Phantom 3 which did a "Fly Away". Anyone else have this happen to their 3 yet.. I was draining the battery to 8%, it was at 15% when it went from a steady hover to a vertical climb, the controls were totally unresponsive. The 3 climbed to no more than 30 mtrs and dropped just as fast, bouncing onto the grass on to its back, motors were still running, they responded to the shut off on the remote. I have flown extensively in this area without issue and always calibrate compass & IMU before any flight..
Yes, when battery gets to critical point the Phantom automatically goes into return to home. It rises to the set 80ft or so before returning to your take-off point. With a ten second delay to let you clear the area of objects or people.
It's worth watching a load of videos on Utube etc about controls and auto functions. ATTI mode, Failsafe, Course lock etc.

I have 70+ flights and over 13 hours with my P3 and have never done a IMU calibration. I've flown in over 40+ different locations and have only calibrated the compass two or three times. These times were because I didn't like the feel of the handling in the first minute off the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1