DJI Phantom 3 Fly Away

Reaction score
I have a recently purchased DJI Phantom 3 which did a "Fly Away". Anyone else have this happen to their 3 yet.. I was draining the battery to 8%, it was at 15% when it went from a steady hover to a vertical climb, the controls were totally unresponsive. The 3 climbed to no more than 30 mtrs and dropped just as fast, bouncing onto the grass on to its back, motors were still running, they responded to the shut off on the remote. I have flown extensively in this area without issue and always calibrate compass & IMU before any flight..

Never mind....:rolleyes: it's to early for me.
Sorry um-mm yeah

Why are you flying when draining the battery? Plus never go below 10%. Best thing to do is land, remove propellers while the system is still on and run the battery down after. No risk other than overdrain of battery

SO it was doing a return to home and you shut the off the motors in the air by the sounds of it.
I understand, the motors were still running when it powered into the ground, I shut the motors off when it was on its back..

I understand, the motors were still running when it powered into the ground, I shut the motors off when it was on its back..
I think he was saying the motors must have been CSC as it dropped like a stone. You could have turned them back on after it was already dropping

Your Phantom was performing exactly as it is supposed to.
This is not a flyaway but a case of operator away.

Your Phantom has a Low Battery warning and a critical low battery warning.
You flew on past both of them.
The last 10% of your battery is not as strong as the first 10%.
Never fly with the battery that low.
It's a bit late to help you now but here's some reading for you ...
i-mVDg2RH-L.jpg
i-mVDg2RH-L.jpg

Why are you flying when draining the battery? Plus never go below 10%. Best thing to do is land, remove propellers while the system is still on and run the battery down after. No risk other than overdrain of battery
I agree with your suggestion regarding draining battery with the props off, but the instructions that come with the battery tell you to drain down to 8% after every 20 charge cycles.

Do not remove propellers. It will result in shell cracks. Do not attach prop guards. Read the manual. What I can say, I am sorry man.

How far away were you from your home point? An RTH would land if it was near it - within ~20m. Upload the TXT log file from your tablet/phone for review.

Edit: Actually, review the flight replay in your app's User Center - it will replay the flight and any associated warning messages.

Last edited:
I think he was saying the motors must have been CSC as it dropped like a stone. You could have turned them back on after it was already dropping
No he didn't say that at all - read back and you can see what he said.
But in any case, he said it was less than 30 metres up.
If it was CSCd at 30 metres, it would take 2.5 seconds to hit the ground and there is no chance anyone's Phantom could be restarted and recover in that time - several hundred metres would be necessary and there's still no guarantee.
Plus with his battery at 7% it wouldn't have had the power necessary

Reactions: ThommyBoy
Do not remove propellers. It will result in shell cracks.
What's going on here?
Is this a contest to see who can spread the most misinformation?
Removing props is perfectly fine and has nothing to do with shell cracks.
How could you imagine it would?
Complete nonsense.

What's going on here?
Complete nonsense.

:)

Reactions: tvckz
I always calibrate compass & IMU before any flight..
Why? Presumable because you feel that ritual will make you "safer".
There is no need to recalibrate the IMU before each flight.
Most Phantoms never need an IMU calibration.
And there's no need to calibrate the compass every flight either.
This kind of over calibration is anti-safety as it just increases the potential for getting a bad calibration every time you do it.
Rather than superstitious actions, simply reading the manual is a much more effective method to ensure safe flight.

Logic is simple. Plastic is very thin. Any pressure and it will be enough.
That's not logic and it's not simple .. it's ridiculous.
When you remove the props, you hold a motor and turn the prop.
There's no way it would put any pressure on the shell.
Plus the shell is not that fragile at all.
Your theory is nonsense.

What's going on here?
Complete nonsense.

Try to think logically first, before acting like that. Read the forums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic