DJI Goggles Tips

I was thinking about heading down to the optometrist with my FPV goggles and getting a set of glasses just for these. I note that using them yesterday I agree, they were "almost" clear but not 100%. Its such a massive stuff up from DJI not putting a diopter in them, i just cant understand it. The demographic that has the $$$ to buy these luxury items would more than likely wear glasses. It just seems such a stuff up. Probbaly Version 2 will have it lol (so we all go out again and buy another set).

One issue that really gets me is when you are wearing your goggles in full sunlight, then take them off its like a massive burst of light... it kills my eyes and because i have to wear clear glasses, it magnifies this too.

Still for me, the experience is well worth it. there really is nothing like it. I have a Facebook Live post on my wall from yesterday. Its like flying like a bird!!!!

It's all these little things you don't think off!

Reactions: sar104
PS For clear vision for reading my eyesight is +2 but the goggles are blurry, with +2.5 they are pretty clear. I guess thats because the screen is much closer than one would normally read? Will keep you posted on the optometrist!

Quick question, what actual USB cable do I need for the DJI Goggles to connect to my P4PRO? There are two USB slots on the goggles, one on the actual goggles and one on the headband. If its the headband then its micro usb to micro usb (male to male). Is that correct?

Quick question, what actual USB cable do I need for the DJI Goggles to connect to my P4PRO? There are two USB slots on the goggles, one on the actual goggles and one on the headband. If its the headband then its micro usb to micro usb (male to male). Is that correct?
You use the micro USB connector on the headband of the goggles and it connects to the standard USB port on your controller (the same one that you would use for a tablet), so you just need a standard micro USB cable. One is included with the goggles.

Ok so tried it out today, it worked great BUT when the USB is taken up the IPAD cant be plugged in!!!! So does that mean I plug the IPAD into the USB port and the Goggles into the smaller USB port? I used the head tracking..... now THAT will take some getting used too lol

My question, can you plug the ipad into the large usb and the goggles into the small usb at the same time and get two signals?

Attachments

• images_brands_DJI_PhantomDrone_Professional_RC-DiagramBig.jpg
    images_brands_DJI_PhantomDrone_Professional_RC-DiagramBig.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 304
Ok so tried it out today, it worked great BUT when the USB is taken up the IPAD cant be plugged in!!!! So does that mean I plug the IPAD into the USB port and the Goggles into the smaller USB port? I used the head tracking..... now THAT will take some getting used too lol

My question, can you plug the ipad into the large usb and the goggles into the small usb at the same time and get two signals?
The googles and an external device (such as a tablet) use the same USB port on the controller so you can only use one at a time. You cannot use the micro USB port on the P4P controller for a control device. If you want simultaneous operation of a tablet and the goggles with a P4P you would have to add the optional HDMI board and use HDMI for the goggles connection, but in that case you will lose the motion tracking feature.

What is the other USB port actually for? I wonder if they will do an update so you can sue both. I have used the goggles on HDMI (very basic info) and on USB where it looks like a fighter jet screen and has so much more functionality.... I wonder if an update would allow us to use both OR if that is a Phantom 5 offering...lol

Everyone i have spoken ot says OMG I cant believe they dont have a Diopter too, everyone.... but in good news I went to the optometrist, got a pair of 3.5's and now the video is crystal clear..... love the goggles... even with their shortfalls... lol

I just cant understand it. The demographic that has the $$$ to buy these luxury items would more than likely wear glasses. It just seems such a stuff up.

Hah! So I'm in the minority for not wearing glasses?

What I am saying is that as you get older you need glasses and with todays living costs and house prices the older demographic would have more disposable income. Sure there are always exceptions but as a rule people like me (in their 40s) would often wear glasses.

Statistically after 40 the average males ability to focus the eye for short distance (reading) becomes increasingly difficult. Hence the need for readers. Trust us roosta it's a pain in the ***.
And as I've mentioned before, EVERY DSLR has the ability to adjust things with a diopter adjustment. This is an oversight.

Just to appease my memory, was there ever a time (recently, obviously) where it was widely claimed that recent Phantom aircraft would use the microusb port on the standard RC without the hdmi module to connect to the goggles?

I could have sworn I read that claim multiple times.

was there ever a time (recently, obviously) where it was widely claimed that recent Phantom aircraft would use the microusb port on the standard RC without the hdmi module to connect to the goggles?
The DJI Goggles manual states the following:

"The Goggles can also support other DJI aircraft. Ensure that the aircraft is linked with the remote controller and then connect the Goggles to the Micro USB port or the HDMI port of the remote controller."

Thanks. In the video above (and in some of this thread) it seems to be said that it is either the full size usb (and thus, no tablet) or the hdmi port (which would offer a different experience).

Is there confirmation that the micro usb port is or is not an option for aircraft in the P4 range?

The micro USB port cannot be used (as of today). You must use the USB port or HDMI port.

I suspect this might change over time though since the DJI Goggles are apparently going to be connected to the micro USB port on the DJI Spark remote controller. The DJI Spark remote controller does not have a USB port.

Regarding the missing diopler adjustment, the mechanical design of these goggles is very complex inside, actually overlapping left and right views with polarized glass. It's really bizarre. The pupil width adjustment is to accommodate this overlapping of display. I'm puzzled why they designed it that way, but my guess is that's exactly why they couldn't include diopler adjustment, which alters the distance of the focal lens to the display, forward and backward. Moving the lenses left and right, while also moving them forward and back, is too much to do mechanically, I assume. That's my take on the design.

I have to use 6.00 readers to be clear, but wow, it's very clear and the visibility of the top and bottom, along the left and right extremes is the best implementation I've seen, even better than Headplay goggles. I'll be testing mine this weekend, they just arrived today. It's hard to find extreme X readers, but you can find a good selection of men's readers at Speert.com.

Hey msinger, great info, thanks for your initial post!

Reactions: ravedog
Thanks john for the insight. It makes sense, still frustrating. It I'm still looking forward to them. Again thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor