DJI Goggles Tips

Regarding the missing diopler adjustment, the mechanical design of these goggles is very complex inside, actually overlapping left and right views with polarized glass. It's really bizarre. The pupil width adjustment is to accommodate this overlapping of display. I'm puzzled why they designed it that way, but my guess is that's exactly why they couldn't include diopler adjustment, which alters the distance of the focal lens to the display, forward and backward. Moving the lenses left and right, while also moving them forward and back, is too much to do mechanically, I assume. That's my take on the design.

I have to use 6.00 readers to be clear, but wow, it's very clear and the visibility of the top and bottom, along the left and right extremes is the best implementation I've seen, even better than Headplay goggles. I'll be testing mine this weekend, they just arrived today. It's hard to find extreme X readers, but you can find a good selection of men's readers at Speert.com.

Hey msinger, great info, thanks for your initial post!

That sounds very plausible. The one question that it leaves is why the apparent distance was chosen to be so short. Since the goggles are simulating a distant view, a longer image distance would have been both more natural and easier to accommodate for older users.

Right -- there isn't a diopter adjustment. Sorry for the confusion.

As I noted above, it's only an IPD knob. It just allows for setting the proper distance between your eyes. The picture seems out of focus (to me) when the knob is not adjusted properly -- which is why I described it as such above. I'll edit that description to try to explain it better.

Big oversight on DJI's part. I have a $30 pair of iPhone goggles from Amazon that has both diopter and IPD adjustments. They can be focused in crystal clear using the diopter dial, which basically moves the phone closer or further from the viewer. The IPD moves the pupils inward and outward from each other. I love everything else about these DJI goggles - the controls, menus, etc., but, at this price, the image needs to be clear. They may very well be going back to DJI.

The goggles allow you to wear your glasses while using them.

I've seen all kinds of eyeglasses fit, however, if you are old like me and your in need of a new prescription for reading etc, it's a better view without my glasses (but I'm nearsighted, so for once in my life it's a good thing) Diopter would also be a good thing. Note for initial setup: I used Assistant 2 to upgrade all of my "parts", first the Mavic (and all of the spare batteries too), then the RC, and then the Goggles (I have yet to get a successful update using my iPhone thru the app, f that "issue") .

Here are some tips to help you get started with your DJI Goggles:

1) When activating the DJI Goggles via the DJI Assistant 2 application, make sure you're using DJI Assistant 2 version 1.1.0-2 (or higher). Older versions of the DJI Assistant 2 application will not prompt you to activate the DJI Goggles. If needed, you can find detailed DJI Goggles activation instructions here.

How do you determine the version firmware in the goggles? Do you have to use Assistant 2 for that? Is there no way to see it in the goggle like Go4?

I've flown my Mavic with my DJI goggles, but now I can't seem to figure out how to connect the goggles to my P4P using USB. I see nothing in the goggle manual either, except it says I have to have the latest version of firmware in the P4P, and THERE'S NO WAY I'M DOING THAT! I'm flying the P4P with last week's firmware, one release back. Does that mean I can't use the goggles with P4P? Or, is there a secret to connecting through USB that I'm overlooking?

Update:
Turns out I had a bad USB cable. Since my 12" USB cable was too short for goggle usage, I used a random 36" USB cable from my drawer, and with my luck it was bad. I found this out when I tried to update the goggle firmware with Digital Assistant 2. Embarrassing.

So, with my P4 it appears the craft firmware isn't compatible, the version number is in my signature. The P4 connection provides an intermittent video, but absolutely no telemetry data, which is kinda strange. It states in RED, "Disconnected", but video feed fades in and out.

With my P4P the USB connection works fine, testing indoors no props. I'll fly tomorrow with P4P and see how it goes. It's going to be spooky flying without the iPad as backup. The RTH buttom is my friend tomorrow.

Too bad my P4 isn't compatible, and I'm not updating firmware anytime soon.

Last edited:
Maybe I got a lemon but my complaint is that if you don't wear/need glasses, The image should not be blurry. (waiting for an email and hoping for an RMA.)

This is my fear. But why wasn't it reported in any of the many videos posted by the big guys.
hhhmmmm They get it for free maybe. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart