(Diy) Wi-Fi extender

You might think about straightening out those 2.4 antennas just a bit if you can. How about you bring the middle antenna up about three inches and then slant the 2.4's in?

I think the best configuration is 5.8 pointing straight up, 2.4 pointing straight down (or down and out a bit). This would allow him to keep them all on the same plane, with good separation between them, wouldn't it?

Not sure what you mean. Since they're linear antennas and they're vertical polarity, ideally you want everything vertical but with the flat part of those panels facing the AC. Because the antennas in the AC are vertical.

He might consider putting something like this between his 5.8 antenna and the controller: RG405 Semi Flexible RP-SMA male to RP-SMA female RF Blue LOW LOSS 3G 4G Cable | eBay

... with a 90 degree bend - thereby extending it out and up - out of the way of the 2.4 antennas. Then he could straighten the 2.4 antennas so that they're vertical.

Just a tip - the 5.8Ghz requires about 7v to work fully as the top circuit board is just a regulator that drops the voltage to 5v (but will not run on a 5V supply - needs to be a couple volts higher)
- but if you have one of those 5V powerbanks/portable mobile phone chargers - you can remove the top circuit board and power the bottom board from the 5v just fine.

?? Why flaff around ?

The 5.8Ghz has no 'dropper BEC' inline ... it takes power direct of the 2S LiFe battery.

Its the 2.4Ghz that cannot take more than 5V. That needs the 5V BEC between the LiFe and it.

Nigel

I think the best configuration is 5.8 pointing straight up, 2.4 pointing straight down (or down and out a bit). This would allow him to keep them all on the same plane, with good separation between them, wouldn't it?

Correct ... as long as the face of the 2.4 is facing the AC ... it makes no difference if panel is bent down or up.

Nigel

Correct ... as long as the face of the 2.4 is facing the AC ... it makes no difference if panel is bent down or up.

Nigel

Exactly. To my knowledge, these patch antennas have a pretty symmetrical beam, hence they are equally efficient if you mount them pointing up or down, as long as they are vertical and their face points toward the AC.
Look under Key Features: ALFA NETWORK Inc

I should be receiving the skyreat parabolic extender today..compliments of Amazon. Quick question..does this just pop on and go or will I need to update or do anything before I get the bird in the air? Thanks...

I keep a small o-ring in my case and I slide it on the tip of the antenna after I put the windsurfer on, to secure it. Be aware that with the windsurfer what you gain in one direction, you lose elsewhere, so remember to keep it pointed toward the AC.

I stand corrected.

WRONG ....

Video and camera control / telemetry is 2.4Ghz .....

Flight control is 5.8Ghz.

Sorry mate - you got them wrong way round.

For a CE machine .... best simple combo is :

2.4Ghz to be modified signal by either Magic Power (needs Computer to do it) or as I used ICARUS (uses the Android Tablet you fly with). This puts signal strength to maximum 27db

5.8Ghz to add the Windsurfer parabola reflector.

You should then be able to reach ~2000m rural and about 1000m urban

Nigel

Reactions: RodPad
I keep a small o-ring in my case and I slide it on the tip of the antenna after I put the windsurfer on, to secure it. Be aware that with the windsurfer what you gain in one direction, you lose elsewhere, so remember to keep it pointed toward the AC.

That's quiet smart actually. I've resorted to using a small blob of blue tack where the reflector meets the RC antenna tip [emoji23]

That's quiet smart actually. I've resorted to using a small blob of blue tack where the reflector meets the RC antenna tip [emoji23]

Yep, it's clean, easy and effective:

IMG_3184.JPG

f021439e938e29d21cec24702e85b4e7.jpg
094287179f93b703eac08b96e0a5f70b.jpg
d2a149656307b8e3d31a395b461eee78.jpg

I use a soda can and cut the top and left the bottom of the can and made a hole for the antenna then cut a little then have the can and it give me up to 3x times more distance. I have use it on P3s and P3A. The pictures I add is not the can I did but all most a like my one but the way I did it was far better then that ones on the pictures. Hope this helps. You can make one with tinfoil and cardboard but what I did i made it more better was soda cans the aluminum from soda cans is far better if you just cut it out and if you asked what kind Pepsi or Mountain Dew lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl