(Diy) Wi-Fi extender

Reaction score
Im seeing a lot of videos on the net about making a Wi-Fi extender with aluminum foil...im not afraid to spend the 12 bucks on Amazon for the skyreat parabolic extender. But I'm just curious if anyone has tried this homemade rig...how you did it...and does it actually work? Thanks....

$12 ? I can buy two for that of eBay ....

I have a 3D printer and I cannot make a parabolic reflector as cheap as the eBay guys.

As to whether DIY ones work - yes.

As long as the parabola and antenna are aligned / curved correctly, foil smoothly applied - why not ?

Nigel

Reactions: Tigerbait
I bought the parabolic extender from Amazon and it works pretty great. Worth the cost to buy versus spending an hour building one with questionable results and lifetime. Just my opinion.

Nice...ive for some spare time the next few days. I think I'll order one and try to make one..why not? You guys got any tips on the "right way" to do it?

Reactions: sidu
I thought the windsurfers only helped the control/5.8 signal and did nothing for the wifi/2.4 signal ?

Really? So if I purchase or make one for my p3s it'll do nothing to help range?

Like Nigel mentioned the shape has to be a parabolic one and this makes it more difficult to make yourself. You can get the shape on goggle as a template you can print. And yes they will make a difference, not a big one but worth it as long as your aim is good. The environment you fly in is your biggest range limiter. I got a good set on amazon for like 10 bucks.

Reactions: Kev74
4b50163e380dcf7bca20d5b02bd626c2.jpg

I got this distance with my P3S using them. I think this makes me a believer.

Really? So if I purchase or make one for my p3s it'll do nothing to help range?

As others said, the "windsurfer" will only increase the range of your 5.8GHz control signal. This means you will likely lose the 2.4GHz video/telemetry feed before you lose control: in those situations, you might try to trigger RTH from the app, which will not work as the app is not communicating with the AC anymore. So you need to remember to trigger RTH from the RC or - should you go in panic mode - just turn off the AC (RTH engages automatically if the control signal is lost).

As for buying vs building, IMO it's a no brainer considering you can find them on eBay for $3, including shipping (to US).

Reactions: Squirrel! and Kev74
I went through all this with my P3S ..... I eventually had her reaching 5km out from home .... but that then proved my downfall when wind proved too much for her to get home and she went for a swim. She now sits in my workshop dead as a dodo.

First is to get rid of the stock antenna .. both 5.8 (external) and 2.4 (internal). Replace with such as the ARGTEK or ITELITE. ARGTEK is easier to add the boosters in my opinion.

I bought two 2.4Ghz bi-directional boosters of 2W each ... 5V powered.

I bought a single 5.8Ghx booster also of 2W.... powered by 5 - 18V

The boosters were then added between the mounts and the antenna ... with power coming of a LiFe 2S pack of 6.6V. The 2.4Ghz were via a 5V BEC to reduce to required level. The 5.8 powered direct of the LiFe battery. No need for a switch as I used JST connector that was easily unplugged.

Here's an average 4.5km flight ... its the screen recording so you can read the numbers yourself !

OK ... for a simpler solution not requiring boosters or power ... I glued two Windsurfers together and slid over the ARGTEK centre 5.8 antenna leaving the 2.4's as is. I had over 4kms without any trouble.

Again screen numbers do not lie ...

Nigel

I went through all this with my P3S ..... I eventually had her reaching 5km out from home .... but that then proved my downfall when wind proved too much for her to get home and she went for a swim. She now sits in my workshop dead as a dodo.

First is to get rid of the stock antenna .. both 5.8 (external) and 2.4 (internal). Replace with such as the ARGTEK or ITELITE. ARGTEK is easier to add the boosters in my opinion.

The boosters were then added between the mounts and the antenna ... with power coming of a LiFe 2S pack of 6.6V. The 2.4Ghz were via a 5V BEC to reduce to required level. The 5.8 powered direct of the LiFe battery. No need for a switch as I used JST connector that was easily unplugged.

Here's an average 4.5km flight ... its the screen recording so you can read the numbers yourself !

OK ... for a simpler solution not requiring boosters or power ... I glued two Windsurfers together and slid over the ARGTEK centre 5.8 antenna leaving the 2.4's as is. I had over 4kms without any trouble.

Nigel
Wow man..sounds like a bit of work just to get it out there. Sorry to hear about it taking a swim. That sucks. Thanks for the tips man. Appreciate that..

I thought the windsurfers only helped the control/5.8 signal and did nothing for the wifi/2.4 signal ?

That’s correct. Flight controller is 2.4 and video is 5.8 so it will help in the are of flight control only. I have one - it definitely works to extend range in a reasonably open area.

And that will work with the p3s?
yes there is also a 5.8ghz type for your control signal just type in sunhans 5.8 in amazon search it will put it up for you I have bought two 2.4 and a single 5.8 everything tested and working I now designing a mounting system for it all. I don't care about the distance that much Ive flown my drone out to 12K feet just to see if it could and I had plenty of connection to spare. I rarely fly further then line of sight so I really don't need to boost my signal However I do fly in some areas where there are tons of WIFI signals so by adding the boosters Its my hope to strengthen my connection so I never have an issue in those areas. I want the strongest connection possible even if I'm only out 20 feet away

Nigel

Man I'm jealous I have down almost the same thing but only magic powered the 2.4ghz. I only get to 1700m before the 5.8ghZ drops out

Man I'm jealous I have down almost the same thing but only magic powered the 2.4ghz. I only get to 1700m before the 5.8ghZ drops out
The 'problem' with the Phantom SE is that they (DJI) locked the backdoor. It is not possible to use MagicPower.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj