(Diy) Wi-Fi extender

That’s correct. Flight controller is 2.4 and video is 5.8 so it will help in the are of flight control only. I have one - it definitely works to extend range in a reasonably open area.

WRONG ....

Video and camera control / telemetry is 2.4Ghz .....

Flight control is 5.8Ghz.

Sorry mate - you got them wrong way round.

For a CE machine .... best simple combo is :

2.4Ghz to be modified signal by either Magic Power (needs Computer to do it) or as I used ICARUS (uses the Android Tablet you fly with). This puts signal strength to maximum 27db

5.8Ghz to add the Windsurfer parabola reflector.

You should then be able to reach ~2000m rural and about 1000m urban

Nigel

Reactions: RadRocket
Reactions: Squirrel! and Kev74
You should then be able to reach ~2000m rural and about 1000m urban

My stock P3S reached the 1-mile (1.6km) mark here in US, with just a windsurfer. While not record-breaking, it's a solid performance which indicates my unit doesn't have any range issues.
When I took it to Europe (same firmware, same everything) and it automatically switched to CE power levels, I was losing control signal much sooner, I think I could barely go past 800m, in a very rural area (video feed was still strong as I used Icarus to bump it up to 27dBm).
All this to say that people should not expect 2000m with just a windsurfer. It might happen with some units in some conditions, but it's not guaranteed.

I disagree that the parabolic reflectors don’t work on 5.8 GHz! Using them on my Phantom I consistently get 7,500 feet range with 100% signals on both signals. The reflectors can’t be matched performance wise by any modification at that price. I made several test flights where I yaw’ed the drone 360 degrees and then when I pointed the reflected signal around the compass headings. The signal rejection from 180 degrees was almost perfect and at the 90 and 270 degrees headings the signal was down to about 15% which would block almost any signal from any direction other than those coming from the drone’s direction.

The 5.8 GHz signal benefits more from the reflectors than does the 2.4 GHz signal, in fact as the frequency increases the wavelength gets shorter thus the more gain.

If anyone has done similar tests, please share your results but my reflectors are working great and can always outfly my battery!
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Last edited:
Reactions: amirs
And that will work with the p3s?
Just a note that modifying the Tx power on the P3S would make the drone emit a much stronger signal than FCC allows for a consumer in the USA. Using that drone in a populated area will cause interference to other people WiFi. Using it in the middle of the woods is technically still illegal, but unlikely to cause problems

The 'problem' with the Phantom SE is that they (DJI) locked the backdoor. It is not possible to use MagicPower.
Hi, I am also a owner of a Phantom 3 SE too. Still a newbie, what do u mean by, "locked the backdoor?" Thanks in advance. charlieb4

I haven't tried to fly far enough away to see if it is effective! But the reviews I read all seem to say it works, and my limited engineering knowledge supports the design as being effective, so I am sold! It's cheap enough to be a throw away, but all things suggest it is a keeper. JMHO.

I haven't tried to fly far enough away to see if it is effective! But the reviews I read all seem to say it works, and my limited engineering knowledge supports the design as being effective, so I am sold! It's cheap enough to be a throw away, but all things suggest it is a keeper. JMHO.
R u a Phantom 3 SE owner?

I know a guy who cut an aluminum pop can to make a parabolic reflector. He went about 4.5 KM and never lost signal.
BUT, he is up in the high country, super clear line of sight to drone, with no intereference(lives out in the middle of nowhere).

Reactions: Kev74

I bought a single 5.8Ghx booster also of 2W.... powered by 5 - 18V

Just a tip - the 5.8Ghz requires about 7v to work fully as the top circuit board is just a regulator that drops the voltage to 5v (but will not run on a 5V supply - needs to be a couple volts higher)
- but if you have one of those 5V powerbanks/portable mobile phone chargers - you can remove the top circuit board and power the bottom board from the 5v just fine.

Really? So if I purchase or make one for my p3s it'll do nothing to help range?

The parabolic reflector, whether DIY or bought online, will boost the 5.8GHz radio control signal (which sends the control inputs from the RC). The 2.8GHz WiFi signal that handles video feeds will not be assisted with the reflector.

I made both a quick DIY reflector and bought one online and here are the results.

From previously achieving about 300m in range with no modifications (Phantom 3 Standard) and in a busy suburban area, I achieved:

Up to 450m with a DIY reflector. The only downside was that the cheap paper build of the reflector often made the controller lose direct alignment with the drone due to paper folds and whatnot...

I got over 600m (have yet to fully push the limits :D) with a $4.50 reflector from eBay. I did have to wait almost a month to receive it in the mail but it does its job great. It maintains direct alignment with the drone better (which you need with the reflectors - they beam the signal in a confined angle).

I’m new to all this, but I just did this to my remote. I haven’t tested range yet. I also switched the 2.4 and 5.8 wires inside the remote with better shielded wires.

Attachments

• B49E5715-0E68-4DF9-852E-9708B48A3C8D.jpeg
    B49E5715-0E68-4DF9-852E-9708B48A3C8D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 272
You might think about straightening out those 2.4 antennas just a bit if you can. How about you bring the middle antenna up about three inches and then slant the 2.4's in?

Alfa APA-M25 for the 5.8 and Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi RP-SMA Panel for the sides. The picture is the inside wires I used

Attachments

• AFF1065F-F469-4EB9-A8CE-5F666744C521.png
    AFF1065F-F469-4EB9-A8CE-5F666744C521.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 327
Reactions: P3$E pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik