DIY gimbal protection

Looks effective.
Feel bad but I did what the Chinese did and copied the design. It's on 0.52mm steel and light as a feather.
DIY%20Gimbal.jpg

Here is the installation video. It will give you a better idea of how the inertia guard fits. The DJI camera lock can still be used with the inertia guard in place, but it will not seat 100%, or you can easily remove the inertia guard before placing the camera lock back on for transporting the quad. I am working on a design to replace the DJI camera lock. I find it too tight and difficult to use.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loXqZfoY6_k[/youtube]

I found the camera lock goes back on/off perfectly but you just have to jiggle it for a second... Sometimes it fits first time (without the jiggle).
I wouldn't say its a problem as it still goes on fine. Confirmed I installed the inertia guard correctly as per your video as well, so its wierd yours doesn't fit.

fastsmiles said:
It's real close to 100%, but I wanted to make sure anyone that bought the inertia guard was informed. And I may not jiggle as good as you :lol:

Speaking of jiggling, I got my cam/gimbal back yesterday. This is what I saw when I opened the box. Yes, this expensive, fragile piece was rattling around in a big empty box without even the gimbal protector on (it's laying next to it). Couldn't get it to work after reattaching, went straight into the jerky dance. X axis fix did not work. Needless to say I've been steaming for 2 days! :evil:

Attachments

• 1w.jpg
    1w.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 394
fastsmiles, I don't recall seeing that video on your website when I bought the phantom fix (which I decided not to install because there is no way to remove it and it blocks the lock). That's a simple design and it looks like it'll be effective.

Is there a reason you made it so wide? It seems it would be just as sturdy if it was half the width (and would be lighter too). Or, better yet, could you make this in carbon fiber?

Hello everyone. I really like the look and design of Fastsmiles' products. I do have a question regarding storage though. I have a Go Professional Hard Case for my DJI Phantom 2 Vision + V2 (not sure why people are calling the newer unit with upgraded motors, compass, and transmitter the V3 - maybe I am missing something) with a custom foam insert. Is the camera protector with the Switchblade easily removable for storage? Or will it fit in the case I have while attached? By easily removable, I mean without having to screw it on or off or add and remove tape. As you can tell, I am not sure how it attaches. Thank your in advance for your answers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6B ... UTF8&psc=1

FlierXTC said:
Is the camera protector with the Switchblade easily removable for storage?
I have the Go Professional case and the camera guard (CF P2V+) -- but, not the Switchblade. Since the camera guard is installed in the middle of the landing gear, there is a tiny bit of clearance between the bottom of the landing gear and the ground. I'm assuming the Switchblade fits within that clearance area. That said, it'll easily fit into the case with the Switchblade attached. Just don't leave your props attached (which might cause them to bend anyhow).

I see fastsmiles says the Switchblade is "easy to remove" on his website and it does not look like it's attached with plastic zip ties (like mine is). Even though, for convenience's sake and the fact that it'll fit in the case, I would just leave everything attached.

6294280_orig.gif

5760594_orig.jpg

I suppose it would be possible to use the camera guard without the plastic zip ties. I wouldn't recommend it though because I think the camera guard would pop out if you crashed onto something.

(BTW, the CF P2V+ is awesome. Everyone should buy it!)

The Swicthblade will fit in your case without having to take it off your bird. I carry mine in a backpack with the foam cutouts and it fits easily.
The picture was just to illustrate the Swtchblade. Be sure to always secure the Switchblade or any camera guard with at least 2 zip ties on each side.
The part of the Switchblade that swings open is retained with rubber grommets. They just snap on and off, so you can fly with the carbon fiber camera guard n place. But you do not have to remove them to fit your phantom in a case or backpack. The whole point of making them fold up is to make transport in a case easy. I like easy. :D

msinger said:
fastsmiles,
Is there a reason you made it so wide? It seems it would be just as sturdy if it was half the width (and would be lighter too). Or, better yet, could you make this in carbon fiber?

I made it wide to make it easier to put on and take off. I could have made it smaller, but then its a pain to hold. And carbon fiber would be too expensive with very little savings in weight for its size. :)

fastsmiles said:
And carbon fiber would be too expensive with very little savings in weight for its size.
I was just thinking it would be nice to have material that matched my camera guard :)

fastsmiles said:
msinger said:
fastsmiles,

I made it wide to make it easier to put on and take off. I could have made it smaller, but then its a pain to hold. And carbon fiber would be too expensive with very little savings in weight for its size. :)
:D
Thanks again Fastsmiles!
I got my inertia guard today and installed it in 30 seconds. Super fast shipping! Simple and elegant, it fits with the stock gimbal lock. I guess by your disclaimer on fitting with the stock lock, you're talking about the thickness of the vertical piece of the inertia guard? I can't see any reason to take it off, it's plenty engaged for transport.

I've never crashed (my +) but your "bits" are welcome insurance on my Phantoms.
Better than I could DIY! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj