DIY gimbal protection

Reaction score
I'm finally getting my bird back after a month long repair (camera/gimbal/ribbon separation). I've been looking around for a homemade solution since getting stuff shipped to Brazil is a major PITA, and I DO NOT want to risk this happening again. Here's a photo of the best solution I could find so far.
My question is... has anyone tried a DIY version of this? Or any other gimbal and ribbon protector for that matter? Hoping to hear from anyone who has made their own and is satisfied with the results. This topic seemed to die out a little while ago, but until DJI comes out with a better design, I"m sure this issue is still very relevant.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2,378
Here's one I've been working on this week:

GimbalProtection.jpg

It's designed so it can be used without modifying the lock.

First of all, thanks for the response. This looks really interesting and light weight. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how it fits on! Looks like you're trying to cover the ribbon cable as well. I'd love to see how it fits on. When you get it on your Phantom will you post another pic? And I'm guessing you'll use double sided tape just on the last bit of the top "u"? Also... that looks more like sheet metal than aluminum, correct?

Reactions: Fplvert
Here's my solution. It only weighs 3.3g and is easy to put on and take off. If you want to make it yourself I can send you the drawing and dimensions.

1039865_orig.jpg

It's aluminum and weighs about 2g. The diagonal part goes over the two screws on the back of the gimbal. I'm going to attempt to screw this on (using longer screws) instead of taping it. This will not cover the ribbon cable, but it does cover more surface area of the circular part of the gimbal than the other protectors attempt to cover.

This is just a rough design right now. I'm trying to find a metal brake small enough to give me clean bends. It looks like I might have to build something though since the smallest brake I could find is about 1.5 inches wide. I need a brake that's about 1/2 inch wide.

fastsmiles said:
Here's my solution. It only weighs 3.3g and is easy to put on and take off. If you want to make it yourself I can send you the drawing and dimensions.

1039865_orig.jpg

I absolutely would like to see your drawing! Not sure if my skills are up to this level with plastic... what tools did you need for this?

I would love to see the design files as well. I have a Full Spectrum 40 watt laser than I can burn these parts out on. (Or my Shapeoko)

Doug Fletcher

It would be helpful -- but, not so much for his business since he designed it for the purpose of selling it.

Maybe he'll give out the plans with the exact dimensions, etc. though :)

Agreed... but in his original post he writes:

If you want to make it yourself I can send you the drawing and dimensions.

So I think we are just taking him up on his offer...

Doug Fletcher

Oh, wow... I missed that. What a generous offer.

Definitely a generous offer, now that I realize he's selling it. Still waiting for it however... :roll: :D

dbfletcher said:
I would love to see the design files as well. I have a Full Spectrum 40 watt laser than I can burn these parts out on. (Or my Shapeoko)

Doug Fletcher

"I would like a full spectrum laser in the 40 watt range" Arnold, The Terminator

Oh man I love the protector as designed, I have had a camera separate and rip the cable and this looks like the real promise to fix a real bad design, to the designer, Patent it and produce it, I would pay some $35 without a blink of a eye if it would help hold the camera-gimble together.

I just purchased the "Switch Blade" camera guard and "Inertia Guard" ribbon cable protector from him for my new Vision + 3.0. The carbon fiber camera guard has fold out legs for stability while landing.. I've been deliberating for months about the purchase of a Vision + because of the super fragile camera and ribbon cable issues I've read about and he seems to be the only person who has designed a solution. I will post photos of his work when I receive it.

I bought the protector Fastsmiles makes (the one he posted the pics of a few posts up). Arrived yesterday infact (Shipping from US to Aus was around 15 days, which is the normal time).
Seems to be nicely made and looks as if it will achieve its intended purpose.

Dirt cheap investment if it can hopefully one day help save gimbal! It only cost like $7 + shipping.

I was just originally going to order the CF camera protector he makes to, but after I also saw the gimbal protectors on his site for next to nothing $$, I figured I would get both items.

I've purchased a gimble guard from UavBits and its already protected my camera from a user error crash!

I misjudged height of the V2+ and ended up crashing into a hillside - thankfully, the camera & gamble were totally un-damaged.

It's a well made piece of kit and I'm really pleased with it & I'm sure that it helped.

I'm so pleased with it that I've ordered the ribbon guard pictured above

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl