Disconnected!! Oh Sh-T!!

Reaction score
Was flying this afternoon and got disconnected. I wasn't that far out. I usually can't even get out past 1500 feet before a week signal warning. I was getting weak video signal warnings. Then all the sudden phone screen goes grey and says disconnected. I poo myself a little then start walking towards where it was in the sky. 30 of the longest seconds of my life later and it connects! I flew that thing home as I was still shaking nervous and thankful I didn't lose my drone. Anyone out there help me figure out what happened???

I am new as well and that happened to me too, the good part for you was it actually reconnected. Mine dropped completely and I couldn't get it to reconnect anywhere. I would of had to start fighting through the woods and thick brush to try and get to mine. I was in shock, then about a minute later I got a reconnect and could hear it. The RTH feature kicked in and it flew back to home point. That actually gave me some confidence in the software and system, that when it's lost, it's really not. My area has a ton of satellite coverage. Software usually reports about 14-15 satellites, which I assume is pretty good.

Reactions: Jerprin
See I don't think mine started RTH. It was just hovering when it reconnected. It asked me if I wanted to RTH and I clicked yes. Then it said RTH timed out. That's when I really got scared and started to follow towards it. Then it reconnected. I was freaking out!

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

See I don't think mine started RTH. It was just hovering when it reconnected. It asked me if I wanted to RTH and I clicked yes. Then it said RTH timed out. That's when I really got scared and started to follow towards it. Then it reconnected. I was freaking out!

Oh wow... Yea mine didn't do that thank god.. Would of been landing when the battery ran out off in some woods that I never would of found. Probably hit a tree and crashed. :)

Because the telemetry and control are 2 different signals you can loose video feed and still control the bird.
If the screen goes blank first thing to do is take a breath and don't panic. If you haven't flown too far away that you can't see then simply fly the bird back to you.
If you cannot see it then use RTH to bring it on home.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jerprin
059d144449a702abc6ed441f41ec84ac.jpg

Mine got disconnected at only 450m away (probably way too much interference), and I freaked as well. But I decided to stay put, and I was standing there for a solid minute - I thought the same thing too (that RTH didn't kick in), but you just have to wait for a while until it makes up its mind.

I got it back and watched the video of the downlink data loss. The camera was fortunately pointed at me from about 350 feet up and about 600 feet out. You can barely see me standing there. Then I start to panic and follow where I thought it was. Then it reconnected and the drone started moving again. I guess it was connected the whole time but no video and remote went grey. But it didn't RTH. It just hovered until I did anything. Had 35% battery left.

Ever since I updated the software to the new one this happens to me. It will just disconnect and sit there. Lucky have I been they my battery is usually a good percentage that I have time to get close to it to connect. Sometimes I get a warning that it's a weak signal but most of the times it just disconnects. Usually in a neighborhood it will happen. I live by the beach and fly there more and get great distance. I am worried that one day I fly over the water and it disconnects on me and done it's over. Never had this problem with the last version. I want to downgrade to the last one but I am afraid I will mess something up and brick the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have lost connection on many occasions. It always comes back. Just make sure you set the settings to RTH when it loses signal, and pick a high altitude for RTH. I have my altitude set to 120m

Boog0822, please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

I had the same thing happen when the drone was only a couple hundred feet away from me. I still had full control, so I flew it back. Scary, but it seems like you still have control.

Sent from my SM-G928P using PhantomPilots mobile app

It looks like you could have a lot of potential Wi-Fi interference in that area. Did you try flying in a wide open location to see if you lose the downlink there too?

Ever since I updated the software to the new one this happens to me. It will just disconnect and sit there. Lucky have I been they my battery is usually a good percentage that I have time to get close to it to connect. Sometimes I get a warning that it's a weak signal but most of the times it just disconnects. Usually in a neighborhood it will happen. I live by the beach and fly there more and get great distance. I am worried that one day I fly over the water and it disconnects on me and done it's over. Never had this problem with the last version. I want to downgrade to the last one but I am afraid I will mess something up and brick the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
If it blacks out when your way out over water and can't see it well enough to fly back just toggle the left switch to activate RTH . If that doesn't work as a last resort turn the Transmitter off and it will trigger RTH after 3 seconds. You can then take control again once it gets close enough.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

It looks like you could have a lot of potential Wi-Fi interference in that area. Did you try flying in a wide open location to see if you lose the downlink there too?
No I haven't. I really don't have any open areas here to close to me. Would a Mavic Pro handle the Wi-Fi interference better with Ocusync

Would a Mavic Pro handle the Wi-Fi interference better with Ocusync
OcuSync operates in a different frequency range, so I don't think it will be affected by other Wi-Fi like the P3S.

I poo myself a little then start walking towards where it was in the sky.

That happens to me every time I fly over water. Im getting better though

:grimacing:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic