Different Motors between P3S & P3A/P

Reaction score
I am vacillating between the Standard and Advanced at the moment. I have reviewed all the specs that I can find, but here's a question that I can't find the answer to. I was watching tons of YouTube videos featuring out of the box reviews and someone mentioned that the Advanced had bigger motors than the Standard. If I researched correctly, I did see that DJI upgraded motors recently, so I am thinking that perhaps the reviewer received one of the upgraded ones vs his old Standard with the older motors.

So, is there a difference between motors on the P3S and P3A/P?

And if there is, then a follow-up question would naturally be, can one swap out the Standard's motors for ones destined for an Advanced?

I'm not certain if this is the right location for this thread, so please move it if necessary.

-PH

I have both and honestly at first glance the motors in both look the same. I'd be very surprised if there was a difference but I'll take a look tonight.

Actually the Standard has the upgraded "newer" motors and so do the Advanced and Professional models now. The Adv/Pro used to ship with slightly more powerful motors, but they were switched out in favour of the newer ones which are said to be slightly more energy efficient giving you an extra 1-2 min of flight time if what I've read is true. DJI claims the switch was done for production reasons, and there is also speculation that it was done to prevent "stress cracks" from appearing though IMO I doubt the latter to be true.

I have the older motors on my Advanced and they work very well. I actually find that aesthetically the older ones look better having a more industrial feel to them. The new ones look a little "toy-ish" to me, though If I were buying my Phantom now I would make a point of getting the new ones.

No -- the motors are the same across the entire Phantom 3 line. There is an old and new version though.

imageuploadedbyphantompilots-dji-phantom-forum1443845769-068556-jpg.32583

Reactions: Pointyhead
This has been a hot topic here lately. Other than the visual changes, you will likely not notice a difference when comparing the two.

So I just checked the motors on my Phantom Standard and Phantom Advanced and they are the same. Oddly though the Phantom Standard stands 5mm taller than the Phantom Advanced.

Attachments

• 1455231603271.jpg
    1455231603271.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 473
If I researched correctly, I did see that DJI upgraded motors recently ...
It's a common, but incorrect assumption that the newer motors were an upgrade.
They are just different.
If you are interested in any real differences between the motors, this is the post to read: New or old motors phantom 3

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I'm not sure about firmware changes and what not but I had a set of the old motors. They felt quicker and faster to me. Of course now I have the new ones and the battery seams to last a bit longer and doesn't get hot no more. I'll take the new ones less amp daw is better for this kind of quad to me.

I'm not sure about firmware changes and what not but I had a set of the old motors. They felt quicker and faster to me. Of course now I have the new ones and the battery seams to last a bit longer and doesn't get hot no more. I'll take the new ones less amp daw is better for this kind of quad to me.
Also with a less amp draw means less likely for your battery to fell in cold whether or over heat in hot whether.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers