Did dji fix the auto file splitting problem on the p4p?

Video files are still split at 4GB if that's what you're asking.

The limitation is in FAT32. Larger file sizes would require NTFS or some other more advanced file system, and these usually aren't found on small dedicated devices.

Video files are still split at 4GB if that's what you're asking.

This needs to be fixed by DJI. This is a big deal ,especially since DJI upped their battery to "30Minutes", so more people are going to be flying longer routes.

oh..but isn't there a new format that is supposed to be a smaller size or something? I think it was h.265, so did they just maximise it to utilise that format?

I don't think DJI can change the FAT-32 file size limit. They would have to create their own proprietary file system.

I don't think DJI can change the FAT-32 file size limit. They would have to create their own proprietary file system.

Right. And that would cause another huge host of problems like need your PC or MAC to read a proprietary file system. No bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I think MS charges licensing fees for exFAT, that could be why DJI doesn't use it on mass market items.

File splitting would not be a problem if DJI would not lose a whole bunch of frames starting the second file.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Following..

The file splitting doesn't bother me much. Its the loss of frames.
I hope the new way of processing allows enough buffering to save a few frames and tag it to the next sequenced file.

I haven't done the maths.. but 4gig = 9 minutes of 4k@30fps.. What does 100mbs of 4k@60fps gets you?? That's 4.5minutes per a 4gig file on the old fat32. I hope the new codec will fix all these issues.

I wonder if the inspires get this issue??

Reactions: tml4191
I was just reading the user manual page 44, it says "to ensurestability of the camera system, single video recordings are capped at 30 minutes"
does that mean no more chopped video's ?

Reactions: Bigbells
Page 63 says for mini-SD cards over 32 GB, the exFat file system is supported.
Wow, good catch and good news. I guess that puts the 'why get a 64 GB SD card' debate to rest, even if you don't need the space it would be desirable to use exFAT and not have to think about file size restrictions.

Last edited:
I would swear I've had transitions from one file to the next that were seamless, but the last couple of times that my video was over 9 min 21 seconds (which is where the file reaches 4 GB for me), the transition to the next file was very jerky.

So I says to myself hey, didn't you recently switch the card that you were using in your X-Star with the card you were using in your P3P? Yep, I answer.

Well, turns out that the card that used to be in the P3P was 64 GB and now it's 32 GB.* But, the new videos start after 4 GB with either card. Does this mean that I'm going to find out that P3P supports exFAT for cards over 32 GB**, and that exFAT produces a smooth transition that doesn't require the video all to be in one file?

I'll let you know when I've found confirmed answers to those questions.

*Edit: No, they're both 64 GB but one is Sandisk Ultra Class 10 (that's the one I've gotten the jerky transitions from when installed in my P3P) and the other is Netac, Class U3. I'll switch the cards back and see if the Netac creates a smooth transition between files, tomorrow, in my P3P.

**Yes, according to page 54 of the P3P user manual.

Edit #2: I'm getting the jerky transition between video files no matter which 64 GB card I use in my P3P, and even though the P3P software is, according to the owner's manual, capable of using the exFAT filing system on cards over 32 GB in capacity. Confirmed with both cards during flights yesterday and today. Now, if there's a way to keep the video from splitting at 4 GB that I don't know about, that would of course change things.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic