DBS or FPVLR? again...

Okay guys...another FPVLR vs. ITElite DBS Panel test. Similar location to one before...but used my iPhone instead of usual Nexus 7.

40ish degrees outside-night flight. Lots of wifi interference and Signal Scores were crap (11.7 for DBS and 2.4 for FPVLR)...the birdside antenna must not pick up as well on way back (facing me) as it was mostly green on way out but purple for long periods during RTH.

ALSO...first time I've experienced this with BOTH antennas, I actually lost RC control before FPV! It happened more quickly on the PANEL, but with the FPVLR I was able to get control strength back easier by aiming a bit lower as it was further out.

Numbas
ITElite DBS Panel - 3,940 feet
- HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
FPVLR - 7,190 feet - HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

So, this time, the FPVLR (maybe because of the strength of it's directionality and penetration through the trees?) got 3,250 MORE feet with FPVLR than the PANEL. I may have not had just the right angle with the panel...but doubt that would be the cause for such a massive difference in range.

SO...the FPVLR is coming into it's own, or I'm just getting better at aiming? Don't know...but the details are free for everyone to view. Pretty excited though if the FPVLR can go THAT much further through the minimal tree line over the DBS Panel.

Again, I am not pushing either one...just testing for you all. This last test has me a bit confused though...that FPVLR just kept pushing and pushing it was amazing! I will still need to do some more building/tree congestion testing.

When I did a similar test on the same route a week or two ago, the FPVLR only got 3,936 ft. and the ITElite DBS Panel bested it with 4,608 ft. right after that. That 4,608' HAD been my max for that route I believe till the FPVLR shattered that tonight. I'm beginning to wonder if hadn't learned how to aim the FPVLR low enough at long range when I got that 3,936.

I will need to try repeat this FPVLR result in daylight.

Last edited:
Okay guys...another FPVLR vs. ITElite DBS Panel test. Similar location to one before...but used my iPhone instead of usual Nexus 7.

40ish degrees outside-night flight. Lots of wifi interference and Signal Scores were crap (11.7 for DBS and 2.4 for FPVLR)...the birdside antenna must not pick up as well on way back (facing me) as it was mostly green on way out but purple for long periods during RTH.

ALSO...first time I've experienced this with BOTH antennas, I actually lost RC control before FPV! It happened more quickly on the PANEL, but with the FPVLR I was able to get control strength back easier by aiming a bit lower as it was further out.

Numbas
ITElite DBS Panel - 3,940 feet
- HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
FPVLR - 7,190 feet - HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

So, this time, the FPVLR (maybe because of the strength of it's directionality and penetration through the trees?) got 3,250 MORE feet with FPVLR than the PANEL. I may have not had just the right angle with the panel...but doubt that would be the cause for such a massive difference in range.

SO...the FPVLR is coming into it's own, or I'm just getting better at aiming? Don't know...but the details are free for everyone to view. Pretty excited though if the FPVLR can go THAT much further through the minimal tree line over the DBS Panel.

Again, I am not pushing either one...just testing for you all. This last test has me a bit confused though...that FPVLR just kept pushing and pushing it was amazing! I will still need to do some more building/tree congestion testing.

When I did a similar test on the same route a week or two ago, the FPVLR only got 3,936 ft. and the ITElite DBS Panel bested it with 4,608 ft. right after that. That 4,608' HAD been my max for that route I believe till the FPVLR shattered that tonight. I'm beginning to wonder if hadn't learned how to aim the FPVLR low enough at long range when I got that 3,936.

I will need to try repeat this FPVLR result in daylight.
I think it is the best kit out there!! My buddy who has dbs can't even come close. I usually can double him in distance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good test as usually Tanger . You changed up device's this time and might be why you saw a change with the FPV .dono
When done with all your test runs it will be interesting what they average out to be .

Good test as usually Tanger . You changed up device's this time and might be why you saw a change with the FPV .dono
When done with all your test runs it will be interesting what they average out to be .
That's a really good point Dirkclod, I didn't think of that-or that it would matter but the iPhone has maybe some extra wifi "boost" built into it (I see that with P2+'s as apps and what not)? Either way...I'd rather have FPV and lose RC control so maybe I need to consider a larger Apple device.

Testing and tweaking...endless. :D

Reactions: dirkclod
That's a really good point Dirkclod, I didn't think of that-or that it would matter but the iPhone has maybe some extra wifi "boost" built into it (I see that with P2+'s as apps and what not)? Either way...I'd rather have FPV and lose RC control so maybe I need to consider a larger Apple device.

Testing and tweaking...endless. :D
It is nonstop bud. I do use the same stuff every time and will see different distance's at the same place,same height ,same wind but maybe time of day be different or it be cloudy . I seem to get my best when it's cloudy .
About all you can do is as you are but it really takes up a lot of your time .
Bad thing is even when you do find a constant distance though it will be right where your at it might not in another .
Is always to many variables from one place to the next to just say it will do this .
For me with all my testing over a year with both of these and other stuff I have found I still can go lower with the panel farther but farther with the FPVLR's but have to be higher . Now another part of the country that may be different .
Now I'm redoing my P2 with the panel and with Tony's dipoles as that set-up seems to work here best for me and see if I can try and start flying a little different than straight out and back for awhile :) I think that's all I have done for the last several month's.
Hope I remember how ;) lol
Is fun though huh :)

Yea, it's all very strange and so variable. I'll have yet to try low and long range (low meaning 200' vs. 400') with both. I am a bit disturbed by the lack of signal/range coming home at me vs. away. ADV will be here tomorrow-more TESTING! :)

It's gonna be a fun summer.

Yea, it's all very strange and so variable. I'll have yet to try low and long range (low meaning 200' vs. 400') with both. I am a bit disturbed by the lack of signal/range coming home at me vs. away. ADV will be here tomorrow-more TESTING! :)

It's gonna be a fun summer.
ANNNNND here ya go again :)

Reactions: TheTanger
Little video I made..P3S w/FPVLR

Just FYI, I started a new thread over at: ADV vs. Standard w/Antenna Mod about comparing ADV to FPVLR/DBS on P3S

First time poster, long time RC guy. I just went through all these threads and I wound up choosing the FPVLR for my P3S. I knew I didn't want to spend more than $300 on a single antenna mod, not when I got the P3S for $499. Yes it looks like you are a SETI researcher but from the threads and videos I've seen it gets better long distance range without amplifiers than the Argtek. And like the ITElite panel you can also go back at a later time and add amps if you want, increasing the range further. You are however paying twice as much for the FPVLR than the Argtek and 60 more (with shipping) than the ITElite panel.

I've been researching this antenna mod for a few weeks and the forums have been very helpful. However I'm a big fan of customer service, one of the reasons I love Amazon Prime.The deciding factor for me was that FPVLR had a phone number and someone answered. The guy seemed knowledgeable, answered all my questions then took my order. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm certainly not advocating one antenna over the other, in fact this is only my second antenna mod so I bow to the collective intelligence of the group but that made up my mind for me. I was leaning towards the Argtek, it's less evasive of a mod, it's cheaper and it probably would have done just what I needed. </rant>

Last edited:
Good to know that Tony was helpful! I'm going to be putting up my FPVLR antenna for sale for $100 (without the internal cables-which are only like $2-3 a piece). Will stick with the DBS panel for size alone. I may just purchase a few cables on eBay and sell the whole kit for like $115. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I did try the ones that came with the panel then changed them and did see a difference with mine . It just makes sense to use the best cables you can IMO . I think you will be pleased with what you see whichever way you go but them cables are like your blood vessels .

dirkclod - thanks for all your input and for passing along your experiences with the different mods....

Can you tell me if anyone has tried to use a single, high quality cable, that goes directly from the boards inside the controller to the DBS antenna? Cables (x3) a little longer would require very small holes in the controller and may make tear downs a little more cumbersome but would eliminate the junction at the outside surface of the controller. Less loss perhaps = greater distance?

Your opinion???

dirkclod - thanks for all your input and for passing along your experiences with the different mods....

Can you tell me if anyone has tried to use a single, high quality cable, that goes directly from the boards inside the controller to the DBS antenna? Cables (x3) a little longer would require very small holes in the controller and may make tear downs a little more cumbersome but would eliminate the junction at the outside surface of the controller.

Your opinion???
I have wondered about it and would think it would be better but really didn't know what to get to try that .
I did go to the better insulated cables inside and shorter one's outside but know I am losing some at the connecters for them .
I don't remove my panel none so that wouldn't be a problem .I think it would help with the
Less loss = greater distance
You could just send them through the antenna hole and not drill .
JIMO :)

Reactions: Mike's Bird
Sorry..alittle OT here but if anyone has their stock antenna and not gonna use it look in classifieds as one of our own needs one .
I sent mine to another member in need .Thanks

I have wondered about it and would think it would be better but really didn't know what to get to try that .
I did go to the better insulated cables inside and shorter one's outside but know I am losing some at the connecters for them .
I don't remove my panel none so that wouldn't be a problem .I think it would help with the You could just send them through the antenna hole and not drill .
JIMO :)
Even better!

Does the standard DBS mod come with 3 cables?
The order page and photos only show two.

Also does anyone have a link for higher quality cables, I've heard people saying that they replaced the ones that come with the mod with better ones.

Does the standard DBS mod come with 3 cables?
The order page and photos only show two.

Also does anyone have a link for higher quality cables, I've heard people saying that they replaced the ones that come with the mod with better ones.

Make sure you're looking at the correct version for the Standard (ITE-DBS01 v.1). It has all the cables needed for inside and out of your controller. The links for cables (assuming you are speaking of the interior) are here in the forums. I ordered some on e-meh but have not installed / tested yet - so I won't steer anyone to them yet. Take a look through the threads here and read as much as you can. Good luck with your mod.

Make sure you're looking at the correct version for the Standard (ITE-DBS01 v.1). It has all the cables needed for inside and out of your controller. The links for cables (assuming you are speaking of the interior) are here in the forums. I ordered some on e-meh but have not installed / tested yet - so I won't steer anyone to them yet. Take a look through the threads here and read as much as you can. Good luck with your mod.

Hi Mike

This is the one I am thinking of ordering. (DBS STANDARD)
Reason im posting is I think that when I looked before, there was 6 cables needed, 3 interior and 3 exterior, now says that theres two cables & in the image the antenna is still attached. Main reason in ordering it is I messed up my antenna so looking for something that will remove it.

Hi Mike

This is the one I am thinking of ordering. (DBS STANDARD)
Reason im posting is I think that when I looked before, there was 6 cables needed, 3 interior and 3 exterior, now says that theres two cables & in the image the antenna is still attached. Main reason in ordering it is I messed up my antenna so looking for something that will remove it.

The ITElite site looks a little different than the link earlier. Just look for the "v.1" on the description for the Standard and you should be fine. Don't forget to let us know your results!

Reactions: Cen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl