DBS or FPVLR? again...

Reaction score
So what I want is better range of course, I'd like 1 - 2 Miles. But it needs to be really strong in the 1 - 1.5 mile range. What kit would be best for this. Yes trees, buildings, neighborhoods, sometimes water and island flying. Not really going for "max distance" really i just want strong signal in the 1 - 1.5 mile range. One thing I've noticed about the DBS is it's a clean install, wouldn't need to worry about the antenna as much as the FPVLR, but that isn't a deal breaker...

I mean, am I really gonna have to wire up my radio for external antennas and buy both kits and see which I like better? Or is there some real info on this?

Yes you will have to mod ( Wire ) your TX for ether . I have both and what you are wanting In JMO is the panel .
It is cleaner looking and does do well around trees and such .
Cleaner I mean just flat and easy to store .

Hmmm. This is also the crossroad I am stuck at as their really is no real comparison of the two antennas. I live in a city so I would like to have something that's going to be good at blocking out interference more than getting past trees so I'm thinking maybe the fpv might a good choice for me??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hmmm. This is also the crossroad I am stuck at as their really is no real comparison of the two antennas. I live in a city so I would like to have something that's going to be good at blocking out interference more than getting past trees so I'm thinking maybe the fpv might a good choice for me??

Well really there's only one way to find out for yourself and that is try both . Sell what you don't care for .

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I honestly would buy boosters before I try both. I feel like maybe a Dbs with a booster pack would be more than enough for what I need. Then I get thoughts that maybe the fpv v2 would also be enough lol

I do agree the DBS is a less obtrusive product. The worst part of having the FPVLR was having to hack foam out of a brand new $200 case. It is worth the extra size though. In fairness I do not have the DBS to test with. But I get 1 - 1.5 miles all day in treed up, residential areas with the FPVLR Stage 2, no amps.

I do agree the DBS is a less obtrusive product. The worst part of having the FPVLR was having to hack foam out of a brand new $200 case. It is worth the extra size though. In fairness I do not have the DBS to test with. But I get 1 - 1.5 miles all day in treed up, residential areas with the FPVLR Stage 2, no amps.

What is the stage 2 of fpvlr?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What is the stage 2 of fpvlr?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
You already saw it . Is where I just got this .
full

Reactions: STAINLESS
Ok, so took out the PS3 with DBS (actually ITElite) mod today and got just over 6850' - about 1.3 miles. Still had plenty of RC control but it seemed like the video was getting a bit choppy so I turned her around and went home.

Will have to try a full long range flight till RTH kicks in. Definitely an improvement over stock in same area. Stock I got about 2600', so that's more than double, probably close to 3x. I was on the edge of a neighborhood so I'm sure there was some interference but not much I assume. Stayed at about 400' entire time...thinking higher would get me better range even.
0695df163bd08a69f1f4dd45f1a45062.jpg

Reactions: jointeffort
Yes, can you all clarify, what is FPVLR "stage 2"? The one on the website that sells for $154 looks just like that but is not labeled as stage 2. If that's stage 2, what is stage 1...and is stage 3 the AMP'ed version?

Don't think it will Tanger . This is one from right after I installed mine and look what I went over and the interference didn't effect mine .
2.26 in noise.jpg
Stage 2 is from the TX..Stage 3 is like mine with birdsides .
I would call the panel stage 2 . The terms are different now from when we were modding the P2's .

Edit / Let me change the picture. Wrong one . Whoops again :(

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...so essentially any P3 TX around now (DBS/FPVLR) is basically stage 2 already. Do you HAVE an FPVLR for P3S in hand there for a comparison test? Would be awesome to get some real numbers from someone with both.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...so essentially any P3 TX around now (DBS/FPVLR) is basically stage 2 already. Do you HAVE an FPVLR for P3S in hand there for a comparison test? Would be awesome to get some real numbers from someone with both.
I do have one but is for my P2 so that won't work . And mine is just 4 turns. TX's.jpg I am in the process of taking it off and putting the panel
back on like my P3 . I just like it better where I fly and like the way it looks better .JMO

Yes...I don't like the pointy antenna-that looks a little unsightly. The ITElite panel is very easy to pack in my case for travel (including the bracket-which is quite nice). Instead of going with amps, I'm seriously consider that next up for me might be an Advanced for range alone...looks like I can get one from DJI for $719 out the door with my teacher discount coupons. (10% on P3's + Inspire and 20% off on accessories).

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes...I don't like the pointy antenna-that looks a little unsightly. The ITElite panel is very easy to pack in my case for travel (including the bracket-which is quite nice). Instead of going with amps, I'm seriously consider that next up for me might be an Advanced for range alone...looks like I can get one from DJI for $719 out the door with my teacher discount coupons. (10% on P3's + Inspire and 20% off on accessories).
That would be a good choice . I just like messing with the 2.4 & 5.8 . Is what I learned on :)
IF I was to move up and doubt I do it would be the 4K
The LB is gonna get you more distance right out of the box .

I have a question Dirkclod, are you getting 12000ft distance with Panel and no Boosters?
Yes no amps. I do have the birdside dipoles Mile so that's what gets me what I get as well as changing all my cables
to better insulated ones . I average on good days between 2.25 to 3.04 miles on long straight runs over fields with some trees and lot's of creeks .
This was my best log todate .
3.04 miles.PNG Some days I might not get but 9 K as there's lots that plays into doing this like weather .
With just the panel I would average around 2 miles .

Just to add a little here...I popped on over to DJI forums and am reading messages about people with P3A's (Lightbridge) often getting less than 1Km in residential areas. I say this because maybe 2.4 LB isn't all it's cracked up to be out of the box so to say. I'm sure they are getting that 3 miles out in the middle of nowhere but sounds like pretty similar range to what Dirkclod is getting and just a little better than panel alone (or FPVLR).

However, they too could of course add a panel and then it's a whole different story. :)

Can anyone tell me if they actually install the dbs system. I called the guy at fplvr. 253 a steep price to pay.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1