DBS Mod, I think I broke my remote :-(

Apparently if you turn it on without the Antenna, the power has nowhere to go and instead gets converted into heat which ends up frying up components. That's just what I read and heard happened to other owners with different RC remotes. I'm not willing to be a test dummy anyway. :p

Again, if it's the con board ribbon cable I may have an extra lying around.

Before you get too excited don't reopen your case and start messing with it any more and actually screw something up. Try this and see if it helps. Turn on your RC - it will beep continuously and the red light blinks. Now, move the sticks (one at a time, or both at the same time doesn't matter) to their extents... up, down, left, right. See if the beeping stops & the light stays steady. If so it is was just a stick calibration error & everything is fine now. Now, go fly.

Last edited:
I just completed my DBS installation last night.

I had a little trouble getting the (large) ribbon connector to clikck closed.

Try to rte-seat the ribbon cable and make sure that the connector is closed. You can detect a light but very noticeable "click" when the connector is properly closed.

:harry

Reactions: mirrorimage
So with the con board ribbon disconnected, have any of you ever powered up the device (antenna attached) because I'm curious if a broken ribbon cable would even cause it to beep/flash the red light.

Going to try the stick trick now.

So I received the awesome DBS Antenna Mod today! I'm so excited. I just finished putting it together. When I power on the controller it starts blinking a single red LED with a loud beep-beep till the end of time. The controller is fully charged.

I opened back up where the con board sits and it looks like I might have damaged the very tiny ribbon cable. Is this most likely my problem or might it be something else simple?

Any suggestions? Do I need a new cable? Where can I get one? Does this cable come in the $99 HDMI kit? Not sure if I should start crying or not…

IMG_1826.JPG
I have to know how exactly did you damage the ribbon cable?? I see in the install video that it shows the installer using a tweaser like plier to remove the ribbon and I see that as dangerous! I have installed and removed 100's of ribbon cables and I use rubber gloves(latex) to ensure nothing pointy goes handy to the ribbon. Usually there is a little tab or dot to how where you can get a hold of it safely. Will admit I have not done this with a remote but only computers, keyboards and laptop monitors mostly. My DBS mod is likely here tomorrow so I guess I will know if I am kindred spirit very soon....

Reactions: mirrorimage
I just completed my DBS installation last night.

I had a little trouble getting the (large) ribbon connector to clikck closed.

Try to rte-seat the ribbon cable and make sure that the connector is closed. You can detect a light but very noticeable "click" when the connector is properly closed.

:harry

I just pushed my cable in up to the white line. I'm gonna try the move control sticks

I have to know how exactly did you damage the ribbon cable?? I see in the install video that it shows the installer using a tweaser like plier to remove the ribbon and I see that as dangerous! I have installed and removed 100's of ribbon cables and I use rubber gloves(latex) to ensure nothing pointy goes handy to the ribbon. Usually there is a little tab or dot to how where you can get a hold of it safely. Will admit I have not done this with a remote but only computers, keyboards and laptop monitors mostly. My DBS mod is likely here tomorrow so I guess I will know if I am kindred spirit very soon....

I thought the same thing when I watched the install video. But I said, we'll I'll do it exactly the same and used the exact same tweezers shown in the video. I knew better. I think if anything one of the ribbon wire strands on the outside looks a bit crushed. These really need tabs on them. I'm gonna go look right now and post some more pictures.

Did you at least try what I suggested? Seriously. I wasn't joking. If that doesn't fix it I'd be surprised.
If not, there are two small narrow ribbons that attach to the main board on one side. One is actually hidden under the other part way back. Both are easy to accidentally bump loose while fiddling with other stuff. Look and make sure neither came out of their attach point. They connect the same way as the large one on the HDMI board, with a small flip tab.

Last edited:
I tried the trick of moving the stick to all the corners. Didn't work. I see the two ribbons very clearly on the sides of the con board. Didn't see any other ribbons. I'll take it apart in a few hours it's 95° here and too hot to think. I'll get a magnifier light later so I can see. It looks like maybe the ribbon cable wasn't damaged too bad.

When you do take it apart, check the ribbon cables along either side. I noticed those could get easily damaged when trying to remove the old antenna wires. Almost thought I may have cut through mine because I didn't notice a second ribbon cable going through the part where I had to cut the white glue.

I've worked around radio transmitters all of my life (but am not an engineer), any transmitter that is trying to transmit without an antenna has "reflective" power,,the power doesn't have anywhere to go, and goes back into the equipment. If its a 100KW FM transmitter, or several thousand watt AM transmitter, it will immediately do damage, but transmitter that is a few watts won't do damage (generally) by being turned on a short period of time. ..DON'T DO IT TO TRY IT, but in most cases it won't hurt anything for a short period

Our engineers had dummy loads they hooked up if we wanted to test a transmitter away from the antenna (to see where a problem might be),,but again, we were dealing with thousands of watts,,the reflective power on one of these transmitters is very, very low

I'm headed to fry's to pickup a magnifying lamp so I can take better photos for you all. I looked at the cable going to the con board and it actually didn't look that messed up. I'm really hoping that something else just came loose.

I'll update you all in the next hour or so.

I went and bought a new remote as well on eBay for $295 just incase, but I really want to repair this one.

Reactions: Altanore
Message me mirror. I'll look around in the AM. I'm sure I could hook u up for like $100 or something. Lol jk

Update:

I went ahead and took the entire remote apart again under a magnifier lamp. I check all ribbon cables on both boards. It looks like only the con-to-main ribbon cable has damage on the outside connector. Even under a magnifier lamp it was still hard to see the damage. Here's some pictures I took incase your curious.

I'm hoping sammy will have an extra cable. I did go ahead and order an extra remote on eBay for $295. Not sure I'll live to enjoy my 6 day old drone when my wife finds out haha. Hopefully I can fix this and sell the extra remote.

Here's some pictures:
IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

Mhhh... I don't believe you cut the ribbon, and normally the edge rails are ground lines. Try to insert again to be sure all contacts are in place...
Normally rf chips has protections on output if they sense wrong impedance (outside 40-75ohm) on connectors and shutdown internal power amplifier.

Mhhh... I don't believe you cut the ribbon, and normally the edge rails are ground lines. Try to insert again to be sure all contacts are in place...
Normally rf chips has protections on output if they sense wrong impedance (outside 40-75ohm) on connectors and shutdown internal power amplifier.

Is it possible I have the outputs flipped on the DBS mod antenna? Does it even matter?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31