DaVinci Resolve 14 Issue With Video

Does DR use the GPU to encode when rendering output? I have the NVENC plugin for Premiere that uses the many thousands of GPU cores on my M6000 to do the render. It's about a dozen times faster than using CPU software rendering. I've not rendered much with CPU since installing the hardware encoding a few years ago. No more overnight renders.

It's Creative Suite 6. That was a year or so before Creative Cloud, which came with subscription-only.

DaVinci Resolve looks attractive because it will work regardless of what happens in the world. As long as I have electricity, I can edit. Same with CS6. No dependencies on others to open my projects.

Does DR use the GPU to encode when rendering output? I have the NVENC plugin for Premiere that uses the many thousands of GPU cores on my M6000 to do the render. It's about a dozen times faster than using CPU software rendering. I've not rendered much with CPU since installing the hardware encoding a few years ago. No more overnight renders.
Yes, both GPU, and CPU, it's a very fast rendering tool, especially compared to Premiere Pro.

They must have re coded the app to use the GPU then. Because DR 14 didn't and was glacially slow at rendering.
I'm testing it now on my 10 year old NLE workstation to see how it behaves before trying it on the main NLE. It seems to run well, but it cannot render. "Failed to encode the video frame".
I've been trying to make DaVinci work for me since version12, but there's always a show-stopper keeping me on Premiere CS6, which always works predictably.
Oh, finally got it to render by changing the output resolution to 1080P. But it's glacially slow. Over 2 minutes estimated for a 1:23 clip with no effects. That would take about 12 seconds on Premiere with NVENC.

They must have re coded the app to use the GPU then. Because DR 14 didn't and was glacially slow at rendering.
I'm testing it now on my 10 year old NLE workstation to see how it behaves before trying it on the main NLE. It seems to run well, but it cannot render. "Failed to encode the video frame".
I've been trying to make DaVinci work for me since version12, but there's always a show-stopper keeping me on Premiere CS6, which always works predictably.
Oh, finally got it to render by changing the output resolution to 1080P. But it's glacially slow. Over 2 minutes estimated for a 1:23 clip with no effects. That would take about 12 seconds on Premiere with NVENC.
I'm also using Premiere Pro 2018 CC, and it's got a CUDA acceleration option, which helps for 4K. I'm shocked it took that long to render a 1080P clip on DR, especially with a twin Xeon and a Quadro M6000, should have been over much faster, but I do believe DR renders at a very high bit depth by default. I'm not running the caliber of hardware you have, and DR renders 1080P about at the speed of duration.

I'm also using Premiere Pro 2018 CC, and it's got a CUDA acceleration option, which helps for 4K. I'm shocked it took that long to render a 1080P clip on DR, especially with a twin Xeon and a Quadro M6000, should have been over much faster, but I do believe DR renders at a very high bit depth by default. I'm not running the caliber of hardware you have, and DR renders 1080P about at the speed of duration.

No, I haven't tested on the Xeon workstation. Just testing on my 10 year old workstation, which I use to evaluate software stability and suitability. Compared to using GPU hardware encoding (NVENC plugin in Premiere CS6), DR encoding is glacially slow. The same clip renders in a few seconds, vs a couple of minutes for DR. So DR isn't doing hardware encoding, evidently.

Yes, both GPU, and CPU, it's a very fast rendering tool, especially compared to Premiere Pro.

I don't think it uses GPU, at least with Nvidia cards - it doesn't touch my 1060 as far as I can tell. It renders in about real-time on a Ryzen 5 1600 in my experience (at 1080P).

I don't think it uses GPU, at least with Nvidia cards - it doesn't touch my 1060 as far as I can tell. It renders in about real-time on a Ryzen 5 1600 in my experience (at 1080P).

Here’s what my numbers are for DR, it fluctuates quite a bit;
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg

Here’s with DR & PP rendering at the same time;
IMG_0005.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 332
Frankly, I'd be very surprised if one of the app developers incorporated NVENC hardware encoding into their app. With Premiere, it's a plug in you can download free. Premiere only uses GPU to accelerate scaling and certain GPU-accelerated effects during render. As such, it makes a small improvement, maybe 40% in my tests, but NVENC makes a 1200% increase in speed in some instances, especially when scaling down to 1080P. A minute of 4K video will render out to 1080P in about 8 seconds and that's on a GTX680 and Core2Quad machine I built in 2008.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31